U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2006, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,253 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Indiana from Florida in December 2005.

I have grown up in mostly Washington State, Kansas, & Florida.
Also, lived in Texas & South Carolina for short times.

I am going to say to STAY AWAY from Decatur Indiana.

My husband grew up in Jay County Indiana for 37 years (born and raised there).

We both moved to Decatur (he from 20/30 miles south of Decatur and I from Florida).

The people were RUDE!

They made it clear that because we were from out of town that we were NOT liked.
ONE even came up and told us that we were not liked by "The HOOD" because we rented our house and were (I) from out of the area.
The person who said this was in his 50s/60s.

They even tried to tell us how to pronounce words. They tried to educate my husband on how winters were even AFTER he told them that he grew up in the area.

They talked about us and even pointed at our house when we moved there.

The woman next door saw me fall in the snow and laughed.

Then the next time we saw her she told my husband and she started to laugh about my fall a month before. Each time she saw us she would bring that up.

NOT all people are like this BUT enough people are.

We have since moved back this last month as soon as our lease let us.
We are living in Jay County.

I would NEVER recommend Decatur Indiana.
They are not nice to people moving there.
It will not be a wonder when the city dries up with that mentality.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,477 times
Smile Lafayette is a HARSH place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrakay View Post
It depends on what part of the state you are going to. I am from Texas and I lived in Lafayette for years and loved it. We never had any problems with people being unfriendly and would have loved to live there for ever. But we moved back and forth between Indiana and Texas quite a bit. The very last move we made, we ended up in a town called Decatur, which is near Fort Wayne. I have never had such a bad experience in all my life. The license plate on the car told people where we were from. Yes, we were made fun of in the way we talked and dressed. We had to fight our way in school and my mother had many problems with her job. We moved again, back to Texas, 6 months later and I was never so happy to get away from there and would never recommend living there to anyone. I do have to be fair, though, some of the people was nice to us and treated us really well. I still have very fond memories of living in Lafayette. Good Luck
I grew up in Lafayette. And it was okay, but some people are harsh, I'll admit. High School was a nightmare for me for SURE! But being a southerner may get you some looks and phrases, but nothing to turn a job down over.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:30 PM

8 posts, read 33,117 times
Default Moving to Indiana? --How will they treat you?

I grew up in West Texas but lived in Missouri for 12 years. I lost my southern accent on purpose there. I didn't like the harsh winters but quickly got used to the snow. I spent my 1st winter in Indy in 2005/6; I was super bitter but it didn't snow much just a little every day in Dec.

People are closed here to new friendships many times. They are willing to talk a few times but to get families together and get to really know each other has been difficult. After my husband's 2 year job commitment, I don't really want to stay in Indiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
I was thinking about the upper midwest for job opportunities after grad school, and I was wondering, how do you think I would be treated, being from the Southern United States?

Don't jump to early conclusions, however. I have a Southern drawl, I'm from South Mississippi, but I'm not your stereotypical media "redneck." I did not grow up in a trailer, I HATE country music, I don't wave a rebel flag or drive a truck, I dress more urbanite than farm boy...etc, etc. I still wonder, with the accent and just knowing I'm from the South, how I would be handled.

Here (I'm in Arkansas now) the problem is that I'm not Southern enough, and I just wonder if just being Southern at all would be cause for jokes and snickers at my expense in the north. I want to find a nice, round the calendar cool weather place with friendly people to spend the early years of my career, and I don't want to take a job offer and suddenly regret it.

Not only that, but if homes are very expensive, I would be losing money and respect.

Hopefully someone can give me a good idea of what it's like.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:26 AM

223 posts, read 887,449 times
Default Give the Upper Midwest a Chance

I would say to just go for it and not worry too much about the whole accent thing. Consider moving to a larger city where there is more of a cross section of people and a greater chance to make friendships. I grew up in N.W. Indiana, went to school at I.U. in Bloomington, lived in Chicago, and now live in N.Carolina. I found nice people and not-so-nice people in all of those places. Accent or birth place does seem to be more an issue when Northerners move South than the opposite. When I moved to NC, some people immediately shunned me b/c I was a "Yankee". This was news to me since growing up in the Midwest, Yankees to us meant New Englanders. Also, the whole Civil War implication escaped me because my ancestors were still in Eastern Europe at the time! In the 20 years I've lived here, I count both locals and transplants as good friends. People who write you off based on how you sound aren't people you'd want for friends anyway! If big cities don't scare you, then I highly recommend Chicago. It has all the pluses of N.Y. w/out the hard edge. People are very friendly and with so many neighborhoods to choose from, if you don't like one you can always find another with a different flavor. Yes, the winters are an adjustment, but with so much to do, it's not that bad. And the glorius summers with all the fun and the beautiful lakefront more than make up for it! We spent a week there this summer with my Tar Heel born children. They have the advantage of being able to go from a perfect NC drawl to a more bland midwestern sound like their parents. They did get the occasional "where are you from?", but more often it was followed by a compliment on their manners, as we readily encourage the "yes Maam, yes Sir" response so common in this area. Bottom line: ignorant people who make decisions about you without even trying to get to know you exist everywhere, as do people who just want to make friends and can look beyond where you were born or raised. Good Luck!

Old 10-16-2006, 06:00 PM

5 posts, read 18,049 times
I say come on with it. If you pay your taxes, and can bring something positive with you, you are more than welcome. I would rather have you living next door to me than the people that are there now. OH yeah,I live 2 blocks south of Washington St. on the west side so what category does that put me in?

Old 10-17-2006, 12:54 PM

14 posts, read 48,021 times
I'm a southerner that moved to Indianapolis and I have no problems. I was born and raised in Kentucky, then lived in Arkansas for 10 years. People here love my accent. Although, I don't really have a drawl... some of my words sound a little southern some times. I have never had any trouble and to be honest... I have come across MANY people who were born and raised here that have more of a "southern accent" than I ever dreamed of having! You'll do fine!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 21,490 times
Most areas of Indiana have a southern twang so I wouldn't worry about it, especially in the southern part close to Kentucky. I lived in north central Indiana and they had as big a twang there as anywhere else. I grew up in Missouri with my own twang and no one ever pointed it out to me. Unlike when I lived in New York, when everybody thought I was from Alabama or something.
The only place I've received grief about my accent is here in Arizona, where half the population is from hip, urbane California. Quite honestly, because of the lack of friendliness and community here in Arizona, I'm seriously considering going back up to Indiana.
As for "regioners" or "region rats" - never heard of it. I lived about two hours from Chicago and never heard the term once. My ex-wife's family is from southern Indiana and they never said any such thing either. My sister lives west of South Bend and I've never heard it up there either.
As for politics, most of Indiana is very conservative, excepting of course the university towns, which is typical in any state. Most people I knew couldn't care less if you were liberal or not, as long as you didn't look like a hippy or wave pamphlets in their face. I wish I could say the same for the extreme liberal places I've lived, where they DID treat you different if they found out you were conservative, even if you never mentioned politics to anyone (as I've found out here with all the Californians living here).

Old 01-08-2007, 08:43 PM

12 posts, read 40,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
I was thinking about the upper midwest for job opportunities after grad school, and I was wondering, how do you think I would be treated, being from the Southern United States?

Don't jump to early conclusions, however. I have a Southern drawl, I'm from South Mississippi, but I'm not your stereotypical media "redneck." I did not grow up in a trailer, I HATE country music, I don't wave a rebel flag or drive a truck, I dress more urbanite than farm boy...etc, etc. I still wonder, with the accent and just knowing I'm from the South, how I would be handled.

Here (I'm in Arkansas now) the problem is that I'm not Southern enough, and I just wonder if just being Southern at all would be cause for jokes and snickers at my expense in the north. I want to find a nice, round the calendar cool weather place with friendly people to spend the early years of my career, and I don't want to take a job offer and suddenly regret it.

Not only that, but if homes are very expensive, I would be losing money and respect.

Hopefully someone can give me a good idea of what it's like.
It's OK to be a southerner. Abe Lincoln was born in Kentucky afterall. I currently live in the south, Texas, that is. Texas people are mean to me 'cause I say "pop" and "hogie" and all that northern stuff. They don't like Indianans here in Alamo City, so I'm leaving Texas and going back home to Indiana when the year's up and I have the cash. I am a polite person and compassionate, too, but the way I have been treated in San Antoino, TX has really made me very depressed with humanity. Good luck to you. Indiana's great place to live and visit.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 AM

246 posts, read 879,349 times
Default southerner, stay south

As a Kentuckian I have grown to disrespect and loathe the people of northwestern Indiana. While I have been treated very well south of the city of Indianapolis, the people north of there have consistently been rude and ugly. If it's not their fault but mine instead, then please tell me why I never get this attitude in Chicago, Detroit, Toledo, or Fort Wayne? You can find many good places to live in central or southern Indiana, or southwestern Ohio, so why inflict nasty old Northwestern Indiana on yourself? Stay south, and I'm sure you'll stay happy-best wishes!

Old 01-20-2007, 10:52 PM

2,384 posts, read 4,704,995 times
I've lived in a lot of different places, and I have found that no matter where you go, there are going to be nice people, and not so nice people.

What did the people of nasty old Northwestern Indiana do that was so rude & ugly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana