Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 AM

134 posts, read 678,470 times

Advertisements

I am about ready to move to either Indiana or TN...lived in both states.

I am finishing a contract in the middle east (horrible place to live) and can't wait to come back to the states and live a quiet life.

I want land that will allow for basic farm animals, pigs in particular.

Any experienced pig farmers out there that can lead me in the right direction? What type of land to seek...locations?

I am talking small farm here...I am alone right now and seek a more isolated location that allows my dogs to roam free.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,477,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketplayer View Post
I am about ready to move to either Indiana or TN...lived in both states.

I am finishing a contract in the middle east (horrible place to live) and can't wait to come back to the states and live a quiet life.

I want land that will allow for basic farm animals, pigs in particular.

Any experienced pig farmers out there that can lead me in the right direction? What type of land to seek...locations?

I am talking small farm here...I am alone right now and seek a more isolated location that allows my dogs to roam free.

Thanks.
Indiana i would choose for one it has a lower cost of living and 2nd our interstate system is like no other.
Easier for you to transport pigs around the country for that prime bacon..
love bacon btw

Old 11-19-2011, 09:07 AM

668 posts, read 2,177,560 times
Make 'sure' you tell your neighbors, that you want to start a pig farm, because they stink to high heaven, and can be odorous up to a mile!!!

My Buddy bought a house in an area and we had to travel a road with a pig farm, and the stench made me retch!! There is nothing worse than the urine of pigs, because people cant use proper methods to contain and contol odor for it. (Most farmers dont even notice it, but, others would gag at the thought of them raising hogs because of the stench).

Be kind to your neighbors, and let them know, and take every precaution to rectify any fould stench that eminates from your farm!

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-19-2011, 01:27 PM

134 posts, read 678,470 times
Thanks...not going to be so large that it would stink to hog heaven.
No more than 10-15 pigs to start with as a hobby.

If I was seeking cheaper property with more land/space is there a county/city
that comes to mind? I am familiar with the Warsaw to Ft Wayne area along 30.
Open to any location really...love the rain/snow...need open space for my dogs
especially which are pitbulls and that can cause concern for some neighbors.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:28 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,225,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indiana i would choose for one it has a lower cost of living and 2nd our interstate system is like no other.
Easier for you to transport pigs around the country for that prime bacon..
love bacon btw
It's a pretty broad and inaccurate statement to say that the cost of living in Indiana is lower than the state of TN. Really? A quick comparison of the COL in Memphis (the largest city) versus Indianapolis indicates that the COL in Memphis is 5% lower.

Have you looked at a map of the TN interstate system? Not much different than IN.

Be a cheerleader for the state and city, but please get the facts straight when doing so. Google is a wonderful thing.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:46 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,477,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It's a pretty broad and inaccurate statement to say that the cost of living in Indiana is lower than the state of TN. Really? A quick comparison of the COL in Memphis (the largest city) versus Indianapolis indicates that the COL in Memphis is 5% lower.

Have you looked at a map of the TN interstate system? Not much different than IN.

Be a cheerleader for the state and city, but please get the facts straight when doing so. Google is a wonderful thing.
lol i am comparing farming areas Northern Indiana and southern Indiana.
Ya cost of living in Memphis and Indy is the same but you don't start up hog farms in Indy

Old 11-23-2011, 05:14 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,708,607 times
I'd say the cost of living is cheaper in Tennessee. I've lived in both states, I am currently in Middle Tennessee, where there's a lot of farmland.

No State Income tax, cheaper property taxes, milder winters/lower heating costs. Our Interstates are superb compared to Indiana. We keep our roads in good shape. Plus the cost of my vehicle insurance dropped considerably when I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana