Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:20 PM

909 posts, read 2,971,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relowegogo View Post
Thanks for your help. I will explore Bloomington.

Domergurl, I have been happy in at least 10 other cities and this is the only time I have wanted to look elsewhere. I said I witnessed a lot of yelling/fighting in Columbus, not been the target of the yelling etc.. After reading a few of your other posts, I too wonder about you. I am not the first person to disagree with you and meet your wrath.

I truly was just looking for input but I guess I treaded on your beloved town when seeking another environment. Anyone with constructive suggestions for towns/cities in IN that might appeal to me are welcome. Further insults are not.

How did she insult you? Domegurl does anything but insult people on their oppinions, especially about Columbus.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 PM

11 posts, read 10,720 times
How is the view from the soapbox? I am not looking to keep up with the Joneses but have found a more educated group to be a more likely group for companionship and friendship. Even in a more educated and/or affluent community you can learn about all different types of people. Does even keeled mean you must agree with the moderator? Even keeled would indicate an ability to understand many viewpoints. I am happy you like where you live. I am surprised that anyone not experiencing something exactly as you do is almost ridiculed rather than offered honest advice.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:33 PM

909 posts, read 2,971,789 times
Quote:
How is the view from the soapbox? I am not looking to keep up with the Joneses but have found a more educated group to be a more likely group for companionship and friendship. Even in a more educated and/or affluent community you can learn about all different types of people. Does even keeled mean you must agree with the moderator? Even keeled would indicate an ability to understand many viewpoints. I am happy you like where you live. I am surprised that anyone not experiencing something exactly as you do is almost ridiculed rather than offered honest advice.

No I'm not backing her up because shes the moderator, I said that because I have never seen her insult anybody or anything and helps everybody in the Indiana forum, which is why shes moderator.

Now me, I insult people occasionally and thats why I'm not moderator.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:49 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,592,847 times
Quote:
You came in here insulting Columbus, honey. We aren't rich or educated enough for you, that, my dear is insulting for those of us rather well heeled and EDUCATED people who think that Columbus is just fine.

Listen, your delivery was antagonistic, what were you expecting from us natives and former natives? "Oh golly darn, she's right, we're just a bunch of hokey-dokey hillbillies who like to hollar a fight heyuck heyuck, yea, let's help her out here". Please, you started this poo storm, coming on here with your "affluence and happiness are not mutually exclusive for me" ... yikes! That tells me that you despise Columbus so much that you want everyone on here to know that you are rich and educated ... well, we have lots of both in Columbus, and like plaidmom said earlier, most are humble about it and I think that's classy (ahem, nod). Do you think the architects just blew into town because Columbus looked like a nice canvas to work from, uhhhhh ... no ... there's lots and lots of money, affluence and education that backed it up. But this seems lost on you. You make Columbus sound like there's fights in the streets. I've yet to see a fight here. I hear about 'em sure, I read the paper, but I've never seen a fight in Columbus. Not sure where you're seeing them.

We offered you help with the caveat that given your delivery, no place in Indiana is going to satisfy you. It just isn't going to be good enough for you because most of us ARE native Hoosiers and have lived around the state long enough to know what is what.

Sorry we aren't delivering our information the way you want to hear it. I guess we yokels just aren't good at learnin' the ways of the fancy folk.

Last edited by domergurl; 12-15-2008 at 07:02 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 07:10 PM

Thank you DC 38, grmmasterb, plaidmom, and VALover. I appreciate the suggestions for other towns to explore that you think I may enjoy more.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,076,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I'm going to be brutely honest here...I don't think you will find what you seek anywhere within reasonable commuting distance from Columbus. There maybe pockets of it in Greenwood and maybe more in Carmel or Floyd Knobs, but overall I think you will be disappointed.
Interesting. After reading all the posts here I had the same thought.

Carmel= big long nasty commute. Basically a "new money" suburb of Indy. Affluence and good test scores, but not much in the way of art or culture (sorrrrry!!!).

Bloomington= educated populace with good cultural opps. Not very "showy" or wealthy though. More laid-back hippie/student vibe. Commute? Do-able for those willing to endure. Primary-school education numbers? Anyone know?

Madison=longish commute to Columbus. Charming Charming Charming. Great architecture. Good test scores for the local schools (all? some?). BUT, very very much a small southern IN town. Great outdoorsy stuff (cycling, hiking) but Arts? Culture?

Some other ideas:

Live in the Meridian/Kessler/Butler area of Indy. Send your kid to private school. Still a fairly iffy commute (~1 hr +).

Or, (I might get hung for this) consider some areas in ( eeek ) Louisville see city-data thread here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/louis...sville-ky.html

Just be aware that Old South Old Money can be very different from Back East (or wherever) Old Money. You may still need to consider private schools.

Like I said earlier, for us the beauty of small town living is: little stress, no commute.

To each his or her own, I suppose...........

Old 12-15-2008, 07:36 PM

Thank you! I really appreciate the description of the "vibe" you gave me of the different communities. The link was great too -- really liked the link discussion(without anger) about the schools and population types (student-ish etc). I had hoped for a similar discussion about areas commutable to Columbus. Thanks so much for the kind, honest response. I am excited to explore all the options you suggested.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,076,497 times
Quote:
Do you think the architects just blew into town because Columbus looked like a nice canvas to work from, uhhhhh ... no ... there's lots and lots of money, affluence and education that backed it up.

I do find it fascinating that J. Irwin Miller (Yale, 1931 BTW) hoped to inspire and improve his community through amazing and thought-provoking public buildings.

I'm not sure this experiment was always successful, or if the great architecture has a truly profound affect on daily life in the community {{{insert long ramble here....}}}. Perhaps we can start a separate thread about that (sorry brief thread hijack )

But yeah, basically I agree. There is a lot of wealth and plenty of education skulking about here. As I said in an earlier post, people here just don't advertise it so much.......

Old 12-15-2008, 08:13 PM

Yes, in most communities there is some element of wealth and education but here the percentage to overall population is small relative to other communities. The US Census data provides a good baseline for comparison.

The architecture experiment is fascinating. I am also not sure if it was successful. I would love to see a new thread about the great architecture.

Thanks again for the help with my original post.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:04 AM

55 posts, read 214,185 times
I'll support you Relowegogo. <mod cut for calling out a moderator, see note below>

Last edited by domergurl; 12-16-2008 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: This one too ... again, if you have issues with my moderation take it up with the senior mods, Yac or Markablue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana