U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:28 AM

17,574 posts, read 24,244,513 times
We had an ice storm overnight here in Columbus! Yeeehaaaaaa!!!! Not.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:10 AM

6,725 posts, read 7,502,410 times
Took me an agonizing 20 minutes to dig my car out this morning. I was ten minutes late for work; but my boss was even later.

Thread about Evansville makes it to second page; high fives all around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 02:25 PM

113 posts, read 226,944 times
We're planning to move somewhere south of Bloomington and north of Evansville next year. I'm pretty sure the winters will be milder than here in northwest Indiana, but not as mild as more southern states.

Just how mild are you looking for and how many miles are you willing to drive? My parents lived in northern Arkansas and they had milder winters but the summers were plain awful hot. For awhile we were thinking of moving to southern Missouri. I watched the weather for two years on a daily basis---comparing southern Missouri and southern Indiana. In winter Missouri got hit by ice over and over while southern Indiana seemed to bask in 40 or 50 degree temps. Missouri summers are hotter.

We finally decided on southern Indiana for several reasons---not too far from our daughter here in northwest Indiana, milder winters, summers are a trade off, maybe not as cool as up here by the lake but also not as hot as Arkansas and Missouri. And we saw lots of nice country. Just my two cents. Hope that helps.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:57 PM

62 posts, read 193,499 times
Default yes it is warmer

it is definitely warmer. we love the weather, but it does get hot in humid in the summer (which i like). i wore a down vest until about the end of november (so no sleeves, no gloves or hat). december gets cold through january and february, but by the end of february it starts to get warmer. i think my crocuses came out end of feb. we are northern tranplants and the weather is the thing we like the best. personally, we'd like a little more culture and bike lanes, but e-ville is working on that so we can't complain. nice people here too. good luck.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:47 AM

7 posts, read 7,337 times
The summers here are worse than south Florida on some days.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:05 AM

830 posts, read 1,381,840 times
I would recommend Indianapolis instead of Evansville and it isn't much farther from Madison

Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 AM

18,269 posts, read 2,822,744 times
I second Indianapolis.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:15 PM

334 posts, read 829,908 times
Question Six months of snow! But what about there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Just my opinion, but this is a gross exaggeration. It does not snow 6 months out of the year in Madison. Anything over 40 degrees is spring-like.
Well... it's not! Take it from another Wisconsinite who's looking to leave behind all the shoveling! These last two years... 6' of snow ongoing, for at least 4 months (besides the months where it was too cold to snow!) - so much snow there wasn't a place to put it all, so it had to be literally trucked out (a common winter occurrence here). And that's just SE WI!

Common average winter windchill at -20. When the sun comes out and it's in the 30s or 40s, you'll find ppl out in their shorts riding bikes! I haven't really spent any time in Mad-town, so I couldn't speak for things there, but the Lake (Michigan) makes a huge difference in the weather in SE WI. Beautiful! But definitely cold!

I grew up in the South - and would rather live here than in an area which gets a lot of ice storms! That is no weather for driving! However... hm... I'm looking to relocate to the 'Ville or other KY/S. IN area, but I don't want to completely be amiss of the snow! Maybe I'll just have to take a few trips back... Hm...

What's it *really* like in S. IN / KY winters? And the other seasons - what are they like?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 364 times
I've spent the last 35 years of my life in Gulfport Ms. I'm from E'ville and I'd love to go back home to live. Maybe I'm living in the past. Love the four seasons. Kind of humid in the summer, but it's like that down here too. I miss the Ohio river, fall leaves, beautiful springs and summers, and snow angels. I have grand kids now, so I'm stuck. But I go back every year to see my mom, eat coconut and peanut
long john donuts and visit the fall festival. E'ville is a nice place to raise a family.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM

15,127 posts, read 20,411,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahmae View Post
I've spent the last 35 years of my life in Gulfport Ms. I'm from E'ville and I'd love to go back home to live. Maybe I'm living in the past. Love the four seasons. Kind of humid in the summer, but it's like that down here too. I miss the Ohio river, fall leaves, beautiful springs and summers, and snow angels. I have grand kids now, so I'm stuck. But I go back every year to see my mom, eat coconut and peanut
long john donuts and visit the fall festival. E'ville is a nice place to raise a family.
The Ohio Valley doesn't really have Spring anymore. It has lasted about 2-3 weeks the past few years. This year we went from dark grey winter to 90F and humid in a snap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana