Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 37,566 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I too have been researching the Cochran Chair Co. I emailed a business in the town where the company was and received this info back. "No books have been written about the Cochran Chair. The company remained in business until 1983 but had no longer been family owned after the early 1970's. If your grandmother's pieces have labels which indicate the town as Cochran, Indiana, the furniture was made before 1900. If the labels indicate Aurora, Indiana, the furniture was made after 1900. (Cochran is now part of Aurora and no longer has its own post office)" He said their local radio (WSCH-FM) (Eagle Radio) (eagleradio.com) has a Swap Shop each evening.
I also remember reading something about a fire and the company rebuilding if I remember correctly.
This is all I have found for now. I have 5 chairs and no one in my family can remember what happened to the table...just that it was big and heavy!
Feel free to email me with any other info.. thanks reggie
reggie0891@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 02:41 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
When I said we need the Keno Brothers I wasn't joking. Seriously, these guys are experts in the field of furniture. Here's their website. They may just get back to you!

Leigh Keno - American Antiques (http://www.leighkeno.com/index.cfm - broken link)

Old 03-04-2008, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 35,842 times
Default Cochran Table

It's interesting seeing so many posts about chairs and tables etc. on here. I have a Cochran Chair Co. "occasional table" that is 39" high and 38" in diameter. It has 6 very ornate legs and lots of detail work on it. I'd love to find out more info about it. The label underneath says it was made in Aurora IN. It says it is redwood and has an inlaid top of walnut veneer. The wood is very beautiful. It also has the #5050 on it. All this was done on a paper label in pencil. It was difficult to read but eventually I was able to read it all. I'm wondering the age and worth of it. So far it looks like everyone has hit a dead end. Maybe somebody will be able to give us more useful info. Oh, I did find out that the original company was located in Cochran, IN. But it was incorporated into the township of Aurora around 1879. So if your piece says "Cochran" IN. on it, it's definitely made befor that date. I'd guess the furniture is worth a considerable sum for anything in decent shape. Any comments?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 25,057 times
I too have an armless rocker. Did you find anything out?I would appreciate it if you could tell me anything about it or where I could find anything about it. It has a piece of paper on it that says Aurora In. Whats the value or year it was produced.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 24,682 times
Smile Cochran Chair Co. Item

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry35645 View Post
If anyone has any information on the Cochran Chair Company.. established about 1873..please contact me. Thanks
Have you received any mare information on Cochran Chair Co. ? I have a game table (I was told that it is a game table) that has the Cochran Chair Co. label. I would like to get an idea how old it is. It is very unique, it folds down to half size with the 2 leafs folded on top of each other, and the base swivels so the legs run in a different direction and the 2 leafs can be opened up to make it twice as large.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 47,916 times
Has anyone heard of the Indianapolis Chair Company Inc in Aurora, IN..... I have: Chair# 1214 1/2.... And i don't know anything about it, other than its suppose to be OLD!!!!! I can't find anything about this company on the web at all.... So help if you can.... Thanks!!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:06 AM

3 posts, read 28,224 times
The Aurora libary in downtown may have something on it. If not try Lawrenceburg libary. Both have history rooms, Lawrenceburg is larger and had a historian on duty.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:54 AM

2 posts, read 47,916 times
Default Much thanks

Thank you... I will look into seeing what i can find out

Old 04-28-2009, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 23,898 times
I remember the Cochran chair factory. I grew up in the nieghborhood in the late 60s early 70s. The factory was a very busy place. Had a small fire house next door. The factory was torn down several years ago. A run down eye sore Store and Lock is on the site of the factory now. The area is still known as Cochran to natives of the area but the younger and transplants know it as West Aurora. There was several factories in Aurora. Stedmans Foundry, Alton Box, Aurora Casket but most of it's production has moved from Aurora west towards Dillsboro. The town has kind of dried up. Has a few burger joints, a Mexican Resturant, The Applewood resturant that tries to cater to the upper class but serves low quality food with even worse waitresses. Five or six gas stations and 3 or 4 bars. That pretty much sums it up. Sorry for the rant and getting off topic but it's kind of sad whats happened to Cochran oooopps, I mean Aurora.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 23,476 times
Default Cochran Furniture

We have a Cochran chair that must date from the 1930s or earlier. Want to either sell it or give it to someone that would be able to use it. Getting much payment is not that important. Has anyone discovered a marketplace for their Cochran items? Has anyone contacted Keno about their items?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana