Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:58 PM

46 posts, read 187,082 times

Advertisements

How about Salem or Charlestown if you're looking for a small town atmosphere?

By the way, meth is a problem everywhere, not just small towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 PM

993 posts, read 2,280,316 times
Seymour is a pretty decent little town, and is an hour away, exit 50 off I-65.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:48 AM

231 posts, read 698,218 times
Thumbs up Salem

Quote:
Originally Posted by locean View Post
How about Salem or Charlestown if you're looking for a small town atmosphere?

By the way, meth is a problem everywhere, not just small towns.

Salem Speedway (http://www.salemspeedway.com/index.htm - broken link)

http://www.washingtoncountyindiana.com/attractions.html

Last edited by ChickeyDuck; 03-01-2009 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: added another link

Old 03-02-2009, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 11,849 times
I agree meth is a problem everywhere, but it seems to me that the smaller the town, the less entertainment there is and it tends to lead to drug use. It's almost like boredom is the source of the problem. Now, I'm not blaming small towns for that - I love them and love the peace & tranquility.

It's people that can't seem to find their own source of joy that get sucked in by them [drugs].

I also think, just by sheer population it becomes more obvious with a smaller town. A larger percentage then appears to be abusing.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,423,957 times
Jasper, Indiana??

Old 03-10-2009, 12:05 AM

9 posts, read 60,776 times
If you actually want to be CLOSE to Louisville...

Floyds Knobs (exit 119 on I-64) (yes, I spelled that correctly; no, no further punctuation needed)--suburban bedroom community largely for Louisville workers

Georgetown (exit 118 on I-64)--Similar to above. Just don't speed in town; so little for the cops to do that they'll pull ya over every time.

Lanesville, IN (exit 113, but actually closer to take exit 118 and drive west on Hwy 62)--little more 'out in the country,' but closer than Corydon.

Greenville (also exit 119)--farther north of Floyds Knobs; more 'in the country', but not as much as Lanesville

I'd call all of them safe bets, especially Floyds Knobs and Georgetown. I'm away at school right now, so I guess there's a chance that an army of meth labs have moved in since...and don't show themselves during the summers or winter breaks...but I would seriously doubt it. There are other small communities just north of Louisville, but some of them are a bit rougher. Anyway, I doubt you could realistically hope to find small towns less likely to have meth problems than those above.

Also, generally speaking, going to Louisville via 64 is faster than going via 65--64 of course can get very backed up as well, but I typically cringe when I see what 65 looks like.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 10,957 times
I live in Santa Claus, Indiana which is about 72 miles from Louisville. It is a great small town with lakes and Holiday World!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:56 PM

68 posts, read 232,117 times
I will look into Hanover/Madison. Thanks for the suggestion. Seymour, I always forget about, will check there as well.

Mission... Being a college student, home on the weekends... Have you not seen property taxes in the Knobs? :-) CRAZY outrageous but really nice homes there. Not in the country enough for me tho. I like Georgetown and Greenville, Hardinsburg, Fredericksburg, Palmyra. But have not found what we want yet.

We did find a nice piece of property in Derby, Indiana. I'd never heard of it before. We might check that out....

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,045 times
Default Vevay

This town used to be nice, I know, I grew up there and graduated from SCHS. I left a few years ago, and every time I have come back to visit, I hate it even more. I can't stand anyone who lives there anymore, and I hope the riverboat gambling ruins your town.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,068 times
Default Country near good Medical

We currently live in Vincennes. YUCK! The water bill actually says the water is unsafe for small kids, pregnant women and those on chemo...me...also drugs are everywhere. so we are determined to move. Love small towns or at least a decent small country home (plant small vegetable garden). Suggestions????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana