Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2006, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,311 times

Advertisements

To any resident of Moores Hill, IN, Dearborn county, or surrounding areas:

I'll try to make this brief. I'm dealing with a person on eBay who claims he was in a car accident Thursday morning, June 22, that killed his father and left him with severe injuries. He added that his car ended up in a creek and that he broke his leg. His last name is Anderson. He says he won't be able to ship out any items to any buyers for about 2-3 weeks minimum, due to his injuries (he currently has many other customers).

I'm here because I can't find any news stories about this in any local Indiana newspapers whatsoever, nor can I find any listings in obituaries to back up the claim. It would be extremely low for someone to make this up, but likewise, I would feel terrible for investigating him if it all turns out to be true. However, I'm suspicious because there are no corroborating articles anywhere about this story. A fradulent person on eBay could very well use a tale like this to stall his buyers and have plenty of time to steal their money. I am in a strange situation.

Please, I just want to see if anyone at all here in Indiana or even Ohio has heard of such an accident? Did it occur, and why has it not been in any local papers or news stations? Please help. Your time is thoroughly appreciated, and could potentially save many people thousands of dollars. I hope to hear from somebody.

Thank you so much, and I look forward to any replies,
John H.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2006, 10:11 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,305 times
I don't live in Dearborn County but I do live in Indiana and I often shop/sell things on eBay and saw your thread... I went to the dearborn county newspaper website and tried to search for any articles about a car accident or any obituary of an Anderson and came up with nothing. Pretty tough spot you are in there. I see what you mean by if you were to confront him and basically say there is nothing whatsoever to back up what you are saying and then it end up being true.... I would feel terrible.

I wouldn't see why a broken leg would keep you from shipping something to a customer, I would think he would have someone he could contact to help him out if he was a good enough seller and cared about his customers getting thier items.

I hope you either get your item or your money back or something because this seems like a tough situation.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,311 times
BSL63087, thanks for the reply, turns out you were right. Bit of an update for anyone who's interested -- the car accident was a total fabrication. Apparently this guy made it up to buy more time to ship items. He admitted it to some buyers. Says he has a very large customer load, was overwhelmed. Anyway, he posted some shipment tracking numbers for a few people, but we'll have to wait and see whether they're A) legitimate or B) numbers on empty boxes.

Found a forum where a bunch of other folks grouped up to talk about this mess. Anyone here who's curious, just follow this link, read everyone's situations. Whatever the case, this is a weird and unsettling scenario. Hope everyone gets their stuff... Fingers crossed that this doesn't turn out to be fraud.

removed

Last edited by Marka; 06-28-2006 at 01:39 AM..

Old 06-27-2006, 08:40 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,305 times
Thanks for posting that news. I hope everyting works out well... I hope this guy gets reported enough to where he gets booted off eBay because A) making stuff like that up is totally wrong and B) If he has too many customers to where he can't handle it maybe he shouldn't be selling stuff on eBay.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,304 times
Default False

I read your question regarding the man in the crash and connection with Ebay.

I just bid on an item on ebay which sounded too good to be true, and it probably is. I did notify ebay.

The person selling the item asks for a prequalified buyer, so I filled out the information and requested that status.

I had to contact the seller through is personal email address. He says on the add that his ebay contact seller site is contaminated with a trojan.

I wrote to his email address many times as I was afraid I would miss the bid. He wrote back to me explaining that he had just moved to Ottawa Canada, had a mortgage to pay and a lot of bills. He states there is a clear title to the ATV I was trying to purchase, stating his brother was killed in a bike crash two weeks ago. (who owned the ATV). He states he had to pay the funeral expenses. I did the same thing as you, I researched a car crash in Canada in the past month and came up with nothing. I went back and looked closely at the ad and realized he gave Indiana as the location of the vehicle. He told me it was in Canada and would be shipped via airline freight and truck. I searched Indiana to see if there was a man killed within the last month and found your article. I think we have a real weasle here. He gave me a real sad story and a pretty nice looking ebay document saying I could send him money (bank account in Austria), but being a former proof reader and medical transcriptionist I found many errors in the printing of that document. I notified ebay right away and am awaiting their reply as to the legitimacy of the document. I suggest you call the police with your information, as I intend to do later today. You are correct, it takes a real low life to take advantage of people in this way. He gave his name as John Ross, 960 Carling Ave, K1A 0C6 Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Old 01-26-2007, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,304 times
Default Update: Bizzie Lizzie on ebay scam

HI,

I wrote a thread yesterday and today I was contacted by the previously described person asking if I had received his instructions for sending the money, I replied, yes but since the add was not a legitimate one I would not proceed. I was contacted a short time later by a bid that had run out previously for an almost identical item. When I read the offer I suspected it was the same person now with a different name and email, different location, now North Dakota. I am certain it is the same person(almost identical procedure, text, offer, free shipping, etc). He stated he was out of town when the bid ran out and would now sell the item. His reply was word for word what I had said in my refusal to the first one. So I replied and told him I was onto him and it was illegal what he was doing. I also contacted ebay and they are investigating. His products are off ebay at this point, so I will be curious to see if they catch him. I have not heard from him again and hope I never do. Please use caution on ebay, as this person sends very convincing documents and poses they are from ebay (they are not real ebay documents). Does anyone know of any stolen ATVs in the area? (Polaris 4x4 with dump body).

Old 04-27-2010, 10:03 AM

91 posts, read 189,420 times
Gosh. No wonder I had a similar experience once. I had posted something for sale on Ebay and developed heart failure after the birth of my third child at the time the item should be shipped. I was weak as a cat and wasn't able to get things shipped out right away, so I wrote to the person who won my items and told them there would be a week's delay due to my being in the hospital for four days and since my husband was going to be the one taking the package to the post office to get it weighed and all. I got a super nastygram right back, telling me this was the lamest story they'd ever heard and that I'd better be mailing their package pronto. I was hurt, because it was true and I couldn't imagine why they'd think I would make such a thing up. Now I see why they didn't think it was a big lie. I had no idea so many people made up such awful stories just to avoid sending their packages!

Very sad...

Last edited by INstix; 04-27-2010 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: wrong word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: