Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:01 PM

92 posts, read 444,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
The news this morning said 1/2 days will still be on the calendar, but will not count toward the 180, neither will 2 hour delay days. The clip they showed of him talking with IIRC the education service committee or some such had him saying he believes we should have longer school years period, on top of not counting such things.

All in all, I'm fine with that. The lobby that seeks to do away with freedom of homeschool choice in Indiana says that part of the law they want is to force parents to show that they have provided 8 hours of instruction per day for each of 180 days. Why shouldn't the public schools have to do the same?
The schools sytems where I am at (NE Indiana) do NOT have 8 hours of instruction per day. The students may be in school for 8 hours, but that isn't all instructional time. By the time you figure in recesses and lunch for the elementary kids (and I do believe recesses are necessary for the kids!), and the time the older kids spend traveling from class to class, and lunch, etc, there is NO way it comes to a full 8 hours. That is not includining time for assemblies, pep rallies, and other special programming that occurs during the school day. When my kids were in elementary school, it seemed like they were going on a field trip every other week!

I am just glad my kids are out of school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I love this! Half days for teacher development are a waste of time to students and parents. I go into the school on these days sometimes and I see the teachers sititng there kibbitzing and eating popcorn ... yea, lots of professional development going on there! I'm sure there are many teachers howling about this ... boo hoo I say, each yer popcorn at home! I also like the p/t conference change.

It's this type of blanket statement that irritates me. So you saw a group of teachers eating popcorn? That gives you the right to assume that "many teachers" do this???? It's this type of moronic sterotyping that keeps education at a stand still.

I know the teachers in my district are THRILLED to lose the professional development days because they know they are a waste of time. They know they are better served working in the classroom. I live in a district that is one of the poorest in the state, yet its school consistently ranks high in test scores.

People like you need to quit lumping teachers into one big group of laziness. Guess what? There are great teachers out there? And yes, there are bad ones too. But there are also bad lawyers, nurses, doctors, policeman, etc.

Want to change education? It's starts with the parents. Teachers are losing the battle if there's no support at home. Make teachers accountable...but make the parents accountable too!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM

336 posts, read 923,658 times
You realize you are upset about this post that is 1 1/2 years old?

Old 10-08-2010, 07:11 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,583,552 times
yea, no kidding ... I only saw this now because I'VE BEEN AT SCHOOL ALL DANG DAY VOLUNTEERING MY TIME TRYING TO MAKE OUR SCHOOL BETTER!

Funny how you assume that I just sit at home on my duff and complain. Guess why I saw them eating popcorn??? Because I'm in school every day DONATING my time! I'm not the problem.

Whatever.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:37 AM

369 posts, read 677,146 times
While this thread may be old, it is still pretty relevant. Lots of districts are going to taxpayers asking for more money. I am glad there are still some folks left who want to donate to their local K-12, but I am sick of what I see as nothing but uncontrolled growth. I graduated back in the 90s, and back then, at least at our small 1A or 2A school, you had a principle, two guidance councilors in elementary and middle school. In high school, they had one assistant principle. Some of the waste I am hearing now is astonishing, and I can no longer support my local K-12 because of it. Demands for pools, new gyms, fancy auditoriums, fancy building designs, etc.. What a waste of money.

It seems education has become nothing but a business that select corporations get to sell. Not only that, their entire business is 99.5% funded by tax money. What a business plan if I ever saw one: Get other people to pay for your bills, and then don't care about the end product, so long as you don't tick off the state or federal government.

How long before you folks think sports finally become privatized? I just can't see K-12 being able to fund schools when they want a principle and two assistants for every school, an athletic director, and likely an assistant or two for them, facilities director, HR director, etc. etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana