U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2009, 07:36 AM

12 posts, read 22,749 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I just need some advice here from people who can provide me with it.
I'm a graduate student from Bahrain and I'm coming to the USA to pursue my postgraduate studies (PhD). I have two admissions from two universities, one in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and the other one in Muncie, Indiana.
I'm now confused to where I should be going. Both universities seem to be good (Louisiana State University and Ball State University), but I'm not sure about life in each of these states. Which one has more to offer in regard to entertainment, restaurants, shopping centers and so on.
I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me advice in this regard.
Thank you all in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 04:14 PM

17,601 posts, read 24,945,807 times
Muncie is a small city in Indiana. For most entertainment outside of campus, you'll be going to Indianapolis, about 45 minutes away ... you'll need a car because there isn't any public transit.

Are you going to be able to visit both places before making a decision?

Old 04-05-2009, 04:29 PM

Thank you domergurl for your info.
I don't think I will be able to visit both places before making my mind. I wish I could do so. I don't know how the US visa system works so I think I won't be able to visit these two states and universities before I decide. That's why I'm seeking US people's opinion on my issue.
Thanks a lot again.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:09 PM

2,249 posts, read 4,133,681 times
Ball State's a really good school. They're going through a huge transformation right now to make the school a national destination.

Muncie does have public transportation (buses) but their system isn't very extensive. It's called MITS, and they run four routes through Ball State. Go to mitsbus.org for more information.

The city is fairly boring, so plan on coming down to Indianapolis for culture/entertainment.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 AM

I think that Baton Rouge would offer more outside of campus activities ...

Old 04-06-2009, 03:59 PM

Thank you for both Colts and domergurl, but I'm still confused and can't make my mind! Any more input please will be appreciated.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:34 AM

1,621 posts, read 2,939,563 times
Baton Rouge (Louisiana State) by far. Muncie is an extremely ugly, boring blur collar town with a mediocre University attached to it. This place has nothing, and I do mean nothing, to offer culturally. The one social aspect that separates Ball State from most Universities in Indiana is that there is a distinct "high-schoolish" feel to the place. Students here are very cliquey, and somewhat stuck up.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:20 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say BSU is mediocre. Some of their programs are top notch. I'm not sure what program the OP is pursuing, but that could make a difference. But in terms of campuses and culture ... LSU wins.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:45 PM

5,019 posts, read 9,140,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say BSU is mediocre. Some of their programs are top notch. I'm not sure what program the OP is pursuing, but that could make a difference. But in terms of campuses and culture ... LSU wins.
Plus...the food. Yum. The weather in IN may be an issue for you as well (unless you are looking forward to experiencing four seasons ).

Ultimately though, domergurl is right. You need to pick to school with the best academic program for your particular field.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM

Thank you all for your replies (Interpol76, Domergurl and plaidmom). I'm going to do PhD in Linguistics and I feel the program in both universities is the same, so I have no problem with the universities here. I also feel that, from searching this website and the internet, that Baton Rouge seems to have so much to offer. I also read about the crimes and discrimination there. I will be coming with my wife and it is important to ensure her safety while I'm at university, plus I don't want her to be bored staying at home all the time. I'm still so confused, sometimes I feel both places are the same, other times I feel Baton Rouge is where I wanna go and at the same time I feel Muncie is the place I wanna go - confusing, isn't it??
Thanks again for all your help and still looking forward to getting more opinions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana