Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:27 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,709,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickettj View Post
I don't know why everyone considers Hoosiers to be hilljack, backward folks. Sure, we don't have a Sacs Fifth Avenue in every city and our politicians don't make legislative changes that the whole country follows, but we aren't a bunch of inbred hicks.

'Gee maw, I've not never seen such big, tall buildings before. Sure is excitin' comin' inta tha big city. But maw, I can't not figur' out whur to tie the harses.'

I don't know where this perception started, but it really should end. I've been to both coasts and both borders. Everywhere I've visited there have been small, backward towns and big, trendy cities. Indiana is a great state to live in and I am proud to be a Hoosier.

In general, a hoosier is a person who lives in Indiana. More specifically, and in my opinion, it is a person who is proud to be a part of their community and makes this great state their own. It's the helping neighbor, the volunteer at the community center and all of the local high school sports teams. The workers of Indiana and the veterans of our United States Military Services. We are a group that isn't afraid of the changing times but still takes the time to band together to help those that are in need. We aren't so tied up with ourselves and our paychecks that we've lost all sight of what matters. A Hoosier isn't the name of an inbred hick, but rather, the name of several million people living their lives happily and a few stragglers who just don't realize how good they have it in a community where the average home price is below the national average right along with the unemployment rate.
Bravo !!! Well said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,449 times
Hoosier= I've remembered hearing the story of two men who got in a fight and when the fight has subsided, a bystander notices something bloody on the ground, picks it up and asks, "Who's Ear?" .... Basically, it means that we're all a bunch of hillbillies. Has anyone else ever heard the story?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:38 PM

10 posts, read 33,610 times
I know it will sound glib or snobbish (how is that really possible when talking about Hoosiers?), but I would say anyone who graduates from IU is NOT a Hoosier. Plenty of grads are glad to get out of the state and only came to Indiana for the business school or etc...A Hoosier is someone who was either born here, lived here for an extended period of time and/or has deep familial roots in Indiana. Of course, the vital ingredient in being a Hoosier is actually wanting to be one. Being a Hoosier is not all frame of mind nor is it all geographical. It is both imo. As to the hisotorical tracing of the name "Hoosier", it will never truly be known. There are literally dozens of theories.

Oh, and not that it's a prerequisite for being a Hoosier, but it certainly helps if you love basketball.

Last edited by syntaxburn; 01-01-2008 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 01-08-2008, 06:13 AM

11 posts, read 60,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Where are you??? The job market here is terrible. If you want to work at McDonald's and don't have a profession, maybe this is a good job market then.
I am in Central Indiana and a proud member of the steelworking community. There are several thousand manufacturing jobs in my community and several thousand more within an hour drive. No one around here is complaining about jobless rates unless they just can't pass the drug test. Those are the people who only see fast food around here. I can't speak for the entire state, none of us can. I can only speak for what I see and what I see are several happy communities in my area. If you don't live in a similar area, I'm sorry to hear it, but it doesn't change my perception of the definition of a hoosier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: