Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:16 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,527,579 times

Advertisements

My husband company offered him a transfere in this area and we have to decide by Monday. I don't think he would have to live right exactly there but within 30 mins. Anyway we are from Michigan we moved to North Carolina last Summer and my Husband works in Virginia. Big change and really far from those we love. I have 4 kids here 16.7.6 and 2. What areas are good for kids we would be renting. What is the area like we don't want our son in a huge High School. Need any info positive or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:13 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,351,252 times
You could live in Michigan again - Niles is only about 35-40 minutes from Plymouth. South Bend, Granger, and Plymouth itself are also options.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 PM

Thank you I was wondering if anyone knew this place. He has to live within like so many miles from Plymouth. South Bend looks the closest. We need to rent Plymouth doesn't appear that big

Old 05-30-2009, 07:25 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,578,376 times
OMG .. Plymouth is a really nice place! I grew up about 20 minutes away. The schools are good and not huge at all. If we had to move back to the area, I'd consider Plymouth in a minute. Small town feel, nice people, it's at the junction of 30 & 31, so getting to places like Indy, South Bend, even Chicago is a breeze. Plus, they have one of the best town festivals in the country every year called the Blueberry Festival.

Consider Plymouth.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:34 AM

I have 7 kids 4 are still at home. The last three are adopted and one is African American and we are white. Is there alot of black people in the area.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:50 AM

here are demo's from the mothership:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Plymouth-Indiana.html

here's the school info ... it's for the entire corporation.
http://mustang.doe.state.in.us/SEARC....cfm?corp=5485

Plymouth is the county seat for Marshall county. I've never heard of any tension having grown up in the area.

You could also look into Mishawaka:

http://mustang.doe.state.in.us/SEARC....cfm?corp=7200

I'm saying this because you stated you didn't want your son in a huge high school. Penn High school, which is close to Mishawaka, is one of the biggest schools in the state.

Niles, Dowagiac and Edwardsburg are all close to the Indiana Michigan border. You could post over on the Michigan board to get information from the folks up there.

Last edited by domergurl; 05-30-2009 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 03:48 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,351,252 times
Niles is awesome! It's only 8 miles from downtown South Bend, so I'm sure it's close enough to Plymouth. There are two school systems here, and both are OK. Edwardsburg is a dot on the map, but it's close to Mishawaka. Dowagiac is a long way from Plymouth.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:58 PM

Default Info for Rentals

I 'm looking for names of some rental management companies or real estate offices who are renting in the area.. Husband office will be in Plymouth. He has been told he could live near South Bend. Actually anywhere that would be about 30-45 mins from Plymouth. We are coming from North Carolina in a few weeks so he can start this job. I will have a few days to look for homes to rent then I must return home until we move. We rent from a management company now and it just can he easier than calling and all that. What are the newspapers in that area? That you

Old 06-06-2009, 05:50 PM

The Plymouth Pilot
The South Bend Tribune
Elkhart Truth

Old 06-29-2009, 11:28 PM

43 posts, read 194,145 times
Plymouth is a really great town to raise a family!! I grew up there and its a safe place where your kids can play outside without much fear, if any. The schools are excellent!! Most of the teachers there have been teaching an average of 10 years..there is only one high school and I think my graduating class was like 250 people. I would definetly suggest it way before South Bend for sure.

You said your husbands job is in Plymouth. If you were planning to get a job, I will let you know that there isnt much opportunity there... you really have to look for the good jobs by word-of-mouth.

Its a pretty small place, no shopping malls really..just the typical small clothing stores. I usually went to South Bend for that.

Culver is another great place to raise a family. It's nicer than Plymouth but much smaller. It's a quaint town with no chain-stores..mostly mom and pop shops. It has a beautiful lake, schools are excellent. It's about 15 minutes south west of Plymouth. In the summer, Culver has thousands of people due to all of the summer lake homes and the Culver Academy School. However, in the winter, the town is dead. To do much shopping, you would probably have to go to Plymouth or Knox.

Argos and Knox are other ones you may consider, but again, they are much smaller towns. I suggest getting on wikipedia.com to find basic information about each, then decide what size and how much traveling to/from work you want to do.

If you want anymore details or have more questions, send me a message and maybe I'll be able to help! I am very familiar with the area. I also know of a guy that rents out homes in Plymouth..and these arent jankey, trashy homes...just small homes in small neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana