Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 03:50 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,616,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I don't know about Zionsville being uppity, but it is pricey by local standards. If you're going to have to travel to Chicago frequently (on business, I assume), what will be your primary mode of travel -- drive or fly? I travel to Chicago frequently myself for work, and often flying is cheaper and more convenient (Southwest into Midway). If flying will be your primary mode, I suggest moving as close to the airport as possible. Think Plainfield in this case. Plainfield also has easy access to I-70 in case you long for a quick trip back to Columbus. If driving will be the primary mode, then I would recommend quick access to I-65. Zionsville would fit this billing.

Both communities have good schools. Diversity, depending on how you define that, may be lacking. Zionsville has a cool small village feel, though. I think Plainfield would give you easier access to downtown Indy, and housing would likely be cheaper.

Good luck. Hopefully you'll be adding to the sizable Buckeye fan base already here.
Kinda of like the Hoosier presence in Ohio.

I know many people from southern and NW Indiana living here in SW Ohio in the Dayton/Cincinnati area. Many have left southern Indiana for the prospect of jobs in Cincinnati. I just left Cleveland after being there on business for a month, I actually meant 7 people that just moved there from Fort Wayne.

Indiana is a great state, but Ohio offers more in diversity and job description. Just thought I would let you know there are quite a few Hoosiers here in the Buckeye state. I have been seeing way too many Hooser stickers on cars in Cincinnati recently for my liking lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 03:58 PM

423 posts, read 1,245,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
We lived in Fishers for 4 years and had to travel up to NW Indiana several times. It's a pain to drive all the way over to 65 from Fishers ... same with Noblesville. You'd be better off flying if you lived there. If you choose Carmel, I'd move as far to the westside of the city as possible as that will put you closer to 65. I'm not sure I agree with Zionsville being uppity. It's definitely ultra white collar, but their school system is nationally ranked and you'd be literally, right on 65.

Another option would be Greenwood, on the south side of Indy in the White River Twp school district. It's on 65, only on the south side of Indy. It's diverse, not uppity and the Center Grove Schools are outstanding too.
I agree 100% with Domergurl here. Center Grove is definitely the "posh" section of the southside, but it's far less uppity than you'd see in Zionsville. However, there is nothing of Zionsville's "quaint" feel, which appeals to a lot of people. Downtown Greenwood is trying, getting better, but still has a ways to go. Center Grove is mostly affluent sprawl, but it does offer good housing, great schools, and quick access to the beauty and parklands of Brown County.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:23 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,502,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Kinda of like the Hoosier presence in Ohio.

I know many people from southern and NW Indiana living here in SW Ohio in the Dayton/Cincinnati area. Many have left southern Indiana for the prospect of jobs in Cincinnati. I just left Cleveland after being there on business for a month, I actually meant 7 people that just moved there from Fort Wayne.

Indiana is a great state, but Ohio offers more in diversity and job description. Just thought I would let you know there are quite a few Hoosiers here in the Buckeye state. I have been seeing way too many Hooser stickers on cars in Cincinnati recently for my liking lol.
Uh, OK. Not sure what your point is. I wasn't slamming Ohio. I'm a native Buckeye myself. I was referring to the fact that there are a lot of Buckeye fans in Central Indiana, including myself.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:55 AM

12 posts, read 28,688 times
Well I traveled to Indy this past weekend to search for homes and I really "fell in love" with the Fishers area. There were a few nice spots near W. 86th that were nice as well, although not in the best school system. Our realtor said that Noblesville (Nobletucky) and Westfield were still closer to country than suburb, it certainly felt that way while driving through. Maybe I was on the wrong side of Westfield (and I know most realtors try to "steer" you) but it really didn't have that suburban feel to it. The congestion in the Fishers area would be a minor issue, but it appears to be the hottest place to live right now.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,502,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jceezyfosheezy View Post
Well I traveled to Indy this past weekend to search for homes and I really "fell in love" with the Fishers area. There were a few nice spots near W. 86th that were nice as well, although not in the best school system. Our realtor said that Noblesville (Nobletucky) and Westfield were still closer to country than suburb, it certainly felt that way while driving through. Maybe I was on the wrong side of Westfield (and I know most realtors try to "steer" you) but it really didn't have that suburban feel to it. The congestion in the Fishers area would be a minor issue, but it appears to be the hottest place to live right now.
I tend to view Noblesville and Westfield as exurbs more than suburbs. There's still a small-town feel to them, and that works for some folks. You can get good bang for your buck in Fishers, but here's the drawback, IMO -- homes just don't seem to appreciate well there, even in the best of times. If you have kids, it seems that unless your kids are really active in sports/other activities, they'll have a hard time making friends, because it doesn't happen in the neighborhood. I've lived in Fishers for 5 years now, and that has been the most frustrating aspect for me.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:24 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,651,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I tend to view Noblesville and Westfield as exurbs more than suburbs. There's still a small-town feel to them, and that works for some folks. You can get good bang for your buck in Fishers, but here's the drawback, IMO -- homes just don't seem to appreciate well there, even in the best of times. If you have kids, it seems that unless your kids are really active in sports/other activities, they'll have a hard time making friends, because it doesn't happen in the neighborhood. I've lived in Fishers for 5 years now, and that has been the most frustrating aspect for me.
I hear you gmaster! I'll even harken further that my kids were involved in sports ... soccer, basketball .... softball, parks & rec ... still didn't make friends other than "hi, how you doing?" chatter at practice or games. The friends I made, I made at Holland Park in the first year we moved to Fishers and shortly before we left. The neighborhood we moved to was already established socially by those who were original owners and they weren't interested in making room for us. I blame it on the transient nature of Fishers ... people move in and out so much. It makes it hard for kids to make lasting friendships and adults just don't care.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:46 PM

12 posts, read 28,688 times
Very good perspectives...I know that my children will be starting school within the next few years, so hopefully finding new friends will not be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana