Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:20 PM

6 posts, read 36,114 times

Advertisements

Hello all, please disregard mine user name (LOL). I currently live in Franklin, IN and am thinking of moving to Bloomington. I have been there twice and am slightly concerned.

First, I couldn't find anything for the kids to really do, no playplace at the mall, no Chucky Cheese, no zoo, or aquaurium. I know that there are parks but it does rain so indoor activities are important too.

Second, I am a conservative and have read a lot about Bloomington's liberal side. I even stumbled across a Gay Bloomington guide on the visitors guide site! I am 26 with two young children and want a good, safe, family place to raise them.

I do like the college town feel and not being surrounded by corn fields like in Franklin.

What else is there to do in Bloomington?
Where is the younger family part of town?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 02:58 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
IME "college towns" almost always tend lean a bit more to the liberal side.

When I think "conservative" and "family friendly" I think Columbus, more than Bloomington.

Columbus has KidsCommons (the children's museum), will have a large indoor playground once the new Commons reopens (Photo Gallery, page 2 ), a Chucky Cheese, an ice rink, active youth sports leagues (soccer etc).

If you stay on the west side of town you can avoid the cornfields and also be in Bloomington in under an hour. We are ~ 45 min to Indy, an hour flat to L-ville and a bit over an hour to Cincinnati.

Not trying to change your mind, but just wanted to toss out another option.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:06 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
I second Plaidmom! But ... just because there's a gay bloomington website doesn't mean that Bloomington isn't family friendly, I think that it is family friendly. While Columbus does have Kidscommons and the new commons mall play area is going to be AWESOME, Bloomington has Wonderlab and parks & rec activities for children too. The Monroe county public library is also fantastic and has children's programming.

Don't let one website make you think that Bloomington is something it's not ...

Old 08-07-2009, 04:49 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2LiVEinFLasap View Post
Second, I am a conservative and have read a lot about Bloomington's liberal side. I even stumbled across a Gay Bloomington guide on the visitors guide site! I am 26 with two young children and want a good, safe, family place to raise them.
Never understood this thinking. Gay people love children, too, and many of them have families.

I would be much more concerned about some of the shenanigans being pulled by the straight kids in town. I'm sure they do stuff to which you wouldn't want your children exposed.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:08 PM

438 posts, read 1,359,795 times
I am a moderate-conservative Christian and would be much more concerned about the antics of the college kids or rambling teens than anyone of a particular sexual orientation.

I LOVE wonderlab. My kids would move in there if offered the opportunity. The library has fantastic programs and a wonderful collection of childrens books. The ladies at Bloomington Birth Services are a wonderful group and are a great resource for information regarding family outings and activities in the Bloomington area. The mall does leave ALOT to be desired, but indoor shopping malls seem to be going the way of the dino so who knows how that will end out. There are fabulous parks and other activities outdoors and wonderlab and the library programs, the fantastic newly renovated {2 years ago IIRC} YMCA complex with indoor and outdoor pools, kids programs and classes, etc. for rainy days and our wonderful winter weather.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:10 PM

156 posts, read 558,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Never understood this thinking. Gay people love children, too, and many of them have families.

I would be much more concerned about some of the shenanigans being pulled by the straight kids in town. I'm sure they do stuff to which you wouldn't want your children exposed.
like what?

Old 08-07-2009, 06:23 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDE View Post
like what?
Oh, certain movie production activities that have taken place at IU dorms in the past, for one.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:57 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Oh, certain movie production activities that have taken place at IU dorms in the past, for one.
Oh YEA!!!! I remember that!!!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:13 PM

310 posts, read 868,647 times
We are trying to move to Bloomington BECAUSE there are more liberals, gays and intelligent people around. As a mother to four children we want our kids to be well exposed to many kinds of people and progressive values. Also, I can't fathom why any parent would think that Chuck E. Cheese or a germ-infested mall playground would be considered 'family-friendly.' Bloomington is geared towards the outdoors and kids have much more fun when they can run outside.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 36,114 times
First of all, thanks to everyone who replied. It just gives a well rounded opinion of Bloomington. I do love Columbus for the kids activities. FYI - Foundation for Youth has open gym which kids love too (in columbus). One thing to clarify, I wouldn't totally avoid a place due to liberalism or gay lifestyles, but I wouldn't move to San Fran...that is a whole different debate, not on city-data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
Also, I can't fathom why any parent would think that Chuck E. Cheese or a germ-infested mall playground would be considered 'family-friendly.' Bloomington is geared towards the outdoors and kids have much more fun when they can run outside.
To Dappleganger: I UNDERSTAND THAT BLOOMINGTON, MONROE COUNTY, AND BROWN COUNTY ARE ALL GEARED TOWARD THE OUTDOORS...GOT IT. WHAT I WAS ASKING WAS WHAT THERE WAS TO DO INDOORS, ON RAINY DAYS, WHEN YOU CAN'T TAKE A ONE YEAR OLD OUTSIDE TO PLAY. I HAVE NEVER HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE AT CHUCK E CHEESE AND AS FOR MALL PLAYGROUNDS, THEY ARE SO SO, UP HERE IN THE INDY AREA (CASTLETON) THEY ARE REALLY NICE. THANKS THOUGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana