U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2009, 01:34 PM

17,523 posts, read 23,549,183 times
Woody Harrelson actually went to Hanover College ...

I think that Indiana is good place for a show that's not "setting" focused. For instance, if you have a show set it NYC or LA, you have to incorporate that city into the show ... with Indiana, it's a make your own way kind of place to begin with, so the state isn't the focus.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:01 PM

18,269 posts, read 2,579,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I remember you could probably count on one hand, if that, the number of tv shows that have been based in this state, but after Parks and Recreation and now this fall that one called The Middle with Patricia Heaton, they seem to find something of interest about the Hoosier State. My dad suspects it's due to all the stuff that happened during the election, but who can say.
If it's the "new trend" then let it be Indiana has no major flaws or anything to it so nothing really negative would come from Indiana. However I like Indiana better being the "private jewel" that no one knows about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Parks and Recreation is based here because Indiana provides a "clean slate" for a show about government. Indiana is not really known politically......for anything. So the producers felt they would have an easier time focusing on the "show" and not jhave to worry about the "political history."
I couldn't agree with you more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy T View Post
A Christmas Story was filmed in Cleveland, Ohio. The author, Jean Shepherd, was raised in Hammond, IN, and the story is about growing up in Hammond. My husband loves this movie (so do I). He grew up in Hammond and the movie reminds him of his childhood.
Also a small part of the film was filmed in Toronto,Ontario,Canada. Most people don't know that. I love that movie also! I love when TBS has that 48 hours marathon of only Christmas Story. I could watch that movie over and over and over. Luckily I also have it on VHS ( I know..sometimes I still like to kick it old school)
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Woody Harrelson actually went to Hanover College ...

I think that Indiana is good place for a show that's not "setting" focused. For instance, if you have a show set it NYC or LA, you have to incorporate that city into the show ... with Indiana, it's a make your own way kind of place to begin with, so the state isn't the focus.

That is what I usually say to my friends in other states inquiring about Indiana. If you come to(or live in) Indiana with a bitter attitude and are just plain mean and grumpy then Indiana will certainly find her way to get you back!

However if you come to( or live in) Indiana with a very positive attitude and are very pleasant and kind then Indiana will certainly find her way to reward you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 05:32 PM

1,856 posts, read 1,464,724 times
I remember a few more shows that were based here. Men Behaving Badly was set in Indy aka Naptown, Garfield(yes the animated show and comic strip) are set in Muncie according to Jim Davis, that NBC teen comedy Hang Time was set here, and Close to Home was set in Marion County.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:56 AM

201 posts, read 455,554 times
Also, the film In the Company of Men was filmed in Fort Wayne, almost exclusively filmed at Fort Wayne landmarks like the zoo, museum, downtown area, and Cindy's Diner, however it was never named. It was just referred to as the most boring city on earth throughout the film, which is an attitude most transient business types have about Fort Wayne since they never venture out to find the good things about it, and the characters were jackasses to begin with.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:34 PM

767 posts, read 1,241,529 times
I wouldn't call somebody a jackass just because they think Ft. Wayne is boring. No offense, but to me, it seemed like a pretty typical midwest town with not a whole lot going on, much like Springfield, IL, which is near where I live. Our claim to fame was that parts of Legally Blonde were filmed here. But who cares and what does this have to do with Indiana? Right?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 PM

201 posts, read 455,554 times
no, the characters in the film were already very despicable human beings to begin with in the film, so no matter how Fort Wayne is or isn't, they would be negative about it. Also, having spent some time in both Fort Wayne and Springfield, (I'm now in Chicago), I would say by far Fort Wayne had more going for it. There is a vibrant arts and music scene, folks are into politics and all the little intrigues, and during the summer there are street festivals everywhere. Not that Springfield was bad, it just seemed like it was comprised completely of Fort Wayne's bad assets, which is the folks who just do not leave their house to do anything.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:40 PM

767 posts, read 1,241,529 times
Maybe I'm not giving Ft. Wayne its due credit. It probably is larger than Springfield and, given that its farther north, it may very well be a little more progressive.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:45 PM

13 posts, read 28,230 times
I'm giving Parks and Recreation a chance. It's not as good as The Office or 30 Rock, but then it's only had six episodes. I only wish they had used a real Indiana city the way The Office is set in Scranton.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:16 PM

414 posts, read 668,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac138 View Post
Parks and Rec is horrible, though it is nice that the show tries to convey Indiana as a diverse place. I live in Chicago now and most of my friends who are not white just believe that the majority of Indiana outside of NW and Indy is all ignorant, Klansmen, or something to that effect.

I can't imagine anything with Patricia Heaton being good.
Just out of curiosity, what do these wonderfully enlightened and sophisticated Chicagoans think about the rest of Illinois? Do they ever think about the rest of Illinois? When I lived in Chicago, "downstate" generally received blank stares, when much of southern Illinois is far more "country" than even the most backwoods of southern Indiana.

Indiana hasn't had a major Klan presence since the 1920s. It's time these people get over it.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:05 PM

55 posts, read 159,193 times
I agree about the remark about Chicago people and their ideas about people outside of Cook County. I lived up there for twenty years and they tend to think everything is backwoods and hick like if it isn't in their backyard. They were this way with the rest of Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana. I explained to them that there are great areas outside of the City. I was telling them about a movie that was being filmed in Southern Indiana and the wonderful landscape. One of my friends actually had no clue that Southern Indiana had hills or didn't really stop at Indy. Imagine their surprise when they traveled with me and saw the beauty. They were treated to a visit to Huntingburg where three movies were filmed, A League of Their Own, Hard Rain and another baseball movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana