Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:56 AM

8 posts, read 18,523 times

Advertisements

I am naturally from Adjuntas, Puerto Rico and we are moving to Westfield in September 2009. I hope that my family will adjust. If anyone has any advice that will help my family transition I will be very appreciate it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 11:30 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
I think about the biggest transition will be to the midwest weather. Are there any more specific questions you may have???

Old 08-23-2009, 02:13 PM

Well I am planning to do my house hunting on labor weekend. I will be looking homes built by Arbor Homes so we can start building. You are right the biggest transition will be the weather.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:21 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
With the economy and housing pricing problems, I would not limit myself to a new house and have to work thru the construction process. There are a huge number of existing houses on the market at fantastic prices in all sizes and locations.

MIBOR | Metropolitan Indianapolis Board of REALTORS® will help you do an initial search. Westfield is a suburb of Indianapolis and has older and brand new housing. Hamilton county, Washington Township. Multiple pages of available houses.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,679 times
I was very disappointed in their school system. We have moved around a lot and we have seen quite a bit over the years. Westfield seems a little backwards and has a bad reputation working with parents. The vast majority will tell you the schools are good but I don't think they know what it's like across the 'pasture'. I also don't think they have had any problems. If you can't see how someone handles a problems you really don't know enough about them. I sensed an extreme amount of arrogance and insincerity with administration. Most importantly, the academics were inferior to what I have seen. Teacher quality was poor. Either they were woefully inexperienced or should have retired long ago. My child had a very negative experience at the Intermediate School and for the first time in his life, did not make any real gains. Most of the material was repetitive of what he'd already learned. If your children are college bound, I do not think the district prepares the students so they would be competitive. the high school was a horrendous and hostile to new students. I realized how fortunate I was to never have encountered such horrible experiences with teachers and administrators since Westfield was our first experience with this. After removing my kids from the district, we were forced into private schools because administration was unresponsive. Fortunately, they are receiving a far superior education than what they received in Westfield.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:04 PM

Got back form Westfeld and got a contract to built a new home from Arbor Homes...

Old 09-10-2009, 02:14 PM

891 posts, read 2,449,650 times
chattykathy157 - I am curious as to when your kids were in the Westfield school system. I don't know much about it, but I just assumed it was good or at least starting to get better and better as the area has become more and more built up.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:25 PM

After my visit to the Westfield school system I know it will be much better than the Jefferson Co School system in Birmingham, AL.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:30 PM

Can someone tell me what kind of clothes "Coat, etc." I need to where in Westfield area during winter. I want to look normal and not like an esquimal person. Remember I am from Puerto Rico.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:00 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0r1qua View Post
Can someone tell me what kind of clothes "Coat, etc." I need to where in Westfield area during winter. I want to look normal and not like an esquimal person. Remember I am from Puerto Rico.
I personally love my full length LLBean down coat. It's guaranteed to keep me toasty to -20 ... that's extreme. The key is layering. But investing in at least 1 good winter coat is wise. My LLBean coat is almost 10 years old and it still looks great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana