Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 09:21 PM

38 posts, read 131,976 times

Advertisements

I am currently in the process of job interviews in West Lafayette and Lafayette, Indiana. I was wondering if you all could provide me with insight on which schools are good for my children, what areas are nice and also what your opinion is of each city. Thanks I appreciate any answers on this matter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 10:38 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,382 times
Lafayette public schools are not good at all. Try sticking to West Lafayette or even the Tippecanoe School Corporation (TSC) schools.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:03 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
I went to Purdue and hence lived in West Lafayette for four years. Stick to W. Lafayette-I volunteered at both Lafayette and W. Lafayette schools and the quality of W. Lafayette's schools was much better, though Lafayette is subject to a pretty substantial variation depending where in town you are. If you choose W. Lafayette, just make sure you don't live too close to the campus or else you'll never be able to go to sleep . Seriously though, there are some very nice communities in both Lafayette and W. Lafayette, but I would with 100% confidence advise you to choose WL. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,899 times
I would say yes the Tippecanoe school corporation and West Lafayette schools are generally better. Generally anywhere you live you are going to be not that far of a drive from anything in Lafayette/West Lafayette. If you are looking for nicer subdivisions you probably want to head to the south side of Lafayette.

Generally W Laff is more liberal and educated. Lafayette can vary a bit depending on where you want to live. We currently live out in a Tempest homes subdivision by Meijer and HATE it. We will be moving to a subdivision on the south side of town which is much much nicer. If you have specific questions I'd be happy to help.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:45 AM

38 posts, read 131,976 times
Okay yeah we were planning on living on the South Side of Lafayette, but I heard McCutchen was a good high school! I guess it depends from everyones experiences. Maybe I will just look for a house in Indianapolis area and get a job down there cause my kids education is what means the most!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:50 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,567 times
I used to compete with McCutcheon's speech team in high school well over a decade ago and it was known as a powerhouse. Lafayette and (especially) West Lafayette have changed a lot in recent years with a new population moving in for high-tech jobs. I suspect that, by and large, school systems there are adapting to change but even the Lafayette schools will offer a decent if not good education. Maybe not on par with the schools in Carmel or Fishers, but still good enough for college aspirations.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:30 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,899 times
McCutcheon is a good school--Lafayette Jeff (jefferson) well--that depends on who you ask. My husband went there and it was fine and he went on to Purdue etc.
Most people I work with their kids either go to McCutcheon (or will) or they send their kids to Central Catholic HS (I work with a lot of alum)

Old 09-14-2009, 09:09 PM

4 posts, read 21,965 times
Hi I live a little North West of Lafayette/West Lafayette in Benton COunty.
But I advocate for families with kids in all the systems in Tippecanoe County. I can tell you that all the schools are great. If your kids are not in need for help in schools then you might want to consider West Lafayette Schools. THis is a school that the professors and very intelligent kids go to. I also know many Harrison and McCutcheon families, and your kids would benefits from either program. It would be according to which elementary and Middle school if they would need to go their first. So I would be looking more into which one of these you want
to move into the area of.

I can also give you the thought that you might consider moving into one of the counties around the Tippecanoe area. I would look into which one of the High Schools offer the courses your kids want to take. I can tell you that if they are into agricultural programs, FFA and things like this they would benefit from a county program.

If you have other questions ask.

Donna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana