Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:47 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow girl View Post
I just saw your post again and I hope things are working out for you. I did make my move to Florida and have been here for 4 weeks and the rest of my family will be moving down before too long. It has been a good experience and hopefully everyone else will love it when they get here. I am working PRN so I can go back to Indiana to visit when I want and today I purchased a boxer from an animal shelter and she is so sweet. Keep us posted on how your life is going as there are people on here who are interested.
Indiana is not working out for me. I am finding the job market in the Bloomington area to be an absolute nightmare. The job situation is so bad here that even the employment agencies are saying, "there are no jobs anywhere." I tried to apply at some stores in the College Mall that had Now Hiring signs in front of them but because of my IU degree I was told that I was overqualified. I am starting to think the I was better of in AZ because at least I was getting interviews. Thinking of dumping my retirement and moving to an area where I at least have a chance at getting a job.

I didn't end up getting the job in Alaska. Apparently teaching jobs are hard to find anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 02:18 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Thumbs up No shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Indiana is not working out for me. I am finding the job market in the Bloomington area to be an absolute nightmare. The job situation is so bad here that even the employment agencies are saying, "there are no jobs anywhere." I tried to apply at some stores in the College Mall that had Now Hiring signs in front of them but because of my IU degree I was told that I was overqualified. I am starting to think the I was better of in AZ because at least I was getting interviews. Thinking of dumping my retirement and moving to an area where I at least have a chance at getting a job. I didn't end up getting the job in Alaska. Apparently teaching jobs are hard to find anywhere.
There are a few teaching jobs in my state on the Indian reservations and I think if you complete a two year commitment I think your student loan is paid off for you. It may be something you could at least look in to. Good luck.
I also think there is no shame on falling back onto family for support during rough times, that's what families are for.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:45 AM

159 posts, read 461,018 times
Quote:
Indiana is not working out for me. I am finding the job market in the Bloomington area to be an absolute nightmare. The job situation is so bad here that even the employment agencies are saying, "there are no jobs anywhere." I tried to apply at some stores in the College Mall that had Now Hiring signs in front of them but because of my IU degree I was told that I was overqualified. I am starting to think the I was better of in AZ because at least I was getting interviews. Thinking of dumping my retirement and moving to an area where I at least have a chance at getting a job.

I didn't end up getting the job in Alaska. Apparently teaching jobs are hard to find anywhere.
I'm sorry things are not working out for you. I am a nurse so really do not know anything about teaching jobs. Have you ever been to Evansville,IN? That's where I'm from and like I said I really don't know anything about the job market for teachers, it seems like even with the recession Evansville seems to be doing okay. It might be worth checking into if you want to stay in Indiana. Keep in touch and good luck!

Old 11-24-2009, 12:55 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,441 times
Quote:
I am doing better now except for the fact the state of AZ has decided to suddenly stop paying my unemployment. I just hope I find a job before I get it straightened out. I am tired of worrying about unemployment anyway. I would much rather be earning a paycheck.
Of course Arizona stopped your unemployment; you now live in Indiana! Why should state A pay you when you are living in state B?? Talk about entitlement!!!

Old 11-24-2009, 04:36 PM

167 posts, read 597,470 times
krock1dk,

Unemployment is not based on where the person currently lives, it is based on the state where the person last earned income. Bluebelts comment has nothing to do with entitlement. Asking your question is ok, and I hope my reply helps you to understand unemployment a little better - but in my opinion, your entitlement comment was not called for and does nothing to help bluebelt. Please refrain from what looks like an attack of bluebelt and try to be supportive. It is what you would want for yourself I am sure.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:19 PM

231 posts, read 701,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj68 View Post
krock1dk,

Unemployment is not based on where the person currently lives, it is based on the state where the person last earned income. Bluebelts comment has nothing to do with entitlement. Asking your question is ok, and I hope my reply helps you to understand unemployment a little better - but in my opinion, your entitlement comment was not called for and does nothing to help bluebelt. Please refrain from what looks like an attack of bluebelt and try to be supportive. It is what you would want for yourself I am sure.
Great Post!!!!! Tried to give you REP points but it wouldn't let me...I have already gave you REP points in the past

Old 11-24-2009, 06:40 PM

181 posts, read 464,493 times
how do you give REP points and I'll do it . What are they for anyways ??? Good jj68 ! And to the op......chin up and don't feel bad about living with your folks. Hope all works out for you.

ok....I figured out the REP and gave one to jj68.....

Last edited by SFLWR; 11-24-2009 at 06:55 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 07:14 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Well, you are certainly not that far from Indianapolis. It is a major city. And while it does not have everything to offer that a place like, say, San Diego has, it has the virtue of being close. There have to be some people in your community that you could network with to shake some trees for a possible job opportunity in Indianapolis. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:44 PM

167 posts, read 597,470 times
Thank you to ChickeyDuck and SFLWR for the rep points and positive comments. I really like the positive energy that is usually present in this forum. People helping people is what life is about. Sure hope to hear from Bluebelt, hopefully things are starting to go in a positive direction with the job search.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Of course Arizona stopped your unemployment; you now live in Indiana! Why should state A pay you when you are living in state B?? Talk about entitlement!!!
It is called the Fair Wage Compliance Law. You are supposed to continue receiving unemployment when you move to a new state. You can look it up if you want. I did start getting my unemployment again. I just read one of your posts and you are also on unemployment so don't give me crap about being on unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana