Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 05:06 PM

4 posts, read 13,683 times

Advertisements

Does it really come major storms in the evansville area? Is that why everyone has basements? There is still that possibility of us moving there. I read about athe hwy expanding through Chandler. Thats where the house is I really liked. Anymore information would be great!!
Thanks, ikewife1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 08:41 PM

92 posts, read 444,262 times
I would say Evansville has about the same risk of storms as the rest of Indiana. They did have a deadly tornado in Nov 2005, in the middle of the night. Around 25 people lost their lives (all of them living in mobile homes).

Just have to keep a good head on your shoulders when the weather looks like it can turn bad.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2007, 08:42 PM

251 posts, read 1,062,186 times
Well Evansville will always remember Nov. 6, 2005. That's the day a tornado ripped through Henderson, KY, Evansville, Newburgh and Booneville, IN. 25 people died. Can it happen again? Sure. Can it happen anywhere in the midwest? Absolutely. Shoud that keep you from moving to the area. Nope.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 PM

251 posts, read 1,062,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierRN View Post
Around 25 people lost their lives (all of them living in mobile homes).
Are you sure about that? I remember the tornado taking out brick homes in Newburgh and I thought one or two of the deaths occured there.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpie View Post
Are you sure about that? I remember the tornado taking out brick homes in Newburgh and I thought one or two of the deaths occured there.
Nope, nobody died in Newburgh, despite the severe damage in that town. All of the people that died either lived in the Eastbrook trailer park, or the family that was killed near Degonia Springs. Plus one young lady lost her life who lived near Boonville with her father in a mobile home. (My cousin knew this girl and her father).

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/no...torn-n08.shtml

Eighteen fatalities, ranging from children aged two, five and six to a 78-year-old man, occurred at the mobile home park, located in Vanderburgh County some eight miles southeast of downtown Evansville. Out of the park’s 326 units, 140 homes were damaged or destroyed. “They [the deceased] were in trailer homes, homes that were just torn apart by the storm,” said Deputy Vanderburgh County Coroner Annie Groves.

Mobile homes are not the place to be when a severe storm is looming.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:22 PM

Here is another link that provides extensive coverage of the Evansville tornado.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pah/?n=evans...ado-nov.6,2005

Just remember, tornadoes can happen anywhere, anytime. Every part of the US has their weather dangers be it tornadoes, hurricanes, mudslides, blizzards, forest fires, earthquakes. You can never be 100% safe from Mother Nature, but you can take steps to be prepared in the best possible way in case she decides to throw a fit in your area.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:28 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,951,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikewife1 View Post
Does it really come major storms in the evansville area? Is that why everyone has basements? There is still that possibility of us moving there. I read about athe hwy expanding through Chandler. Thats where the house is I really liked. Anymore information would be great!!
Thanks, ikewife1
I wouldn't worry about the tornados.. that's not in general why people have basements. Walk-out and daylight basements are a home building trend in Indiana and a great way to cheaply expand your home's sq footage. Indiana does get pretty exciting thunderstorms blowing through, more than I used to see in other parts of the country. I like them and don't give them much worry because like most acts of nature, we have no control over them today. All we can do is be intelligently prepared for them as with any other potential situation (have an emergency plan, some flashlights, and a radio, etc). The highway expansion on the other-hand, you may want to spend more time investigating on your own, just so you aren't surprised.

Regarding tornados taking out mobile homes, just some trivia for everyone. It is a statistical fact that mobile homes get hit more than regular homes by tornados. There are some theories, a leading one is that the aluminum in the build materials may indeed attract tornados in some way. It obviously is still being investigated (perhaps someday a method to drive tornados will likewise be created using this knowledge).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana