U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 PM

17,594 posts, read 24,523,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkat05 View Post
I don't think the show is trying to depic hoosiers as a certain type. It is a comedy. Just think if of many other shows of the past. Were all people from Queens NY like Archie Bunker? Don't be bothered by this show, just enjoy its humor.
But at least the Bunkers SOUNDED like they lived in Queens!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:34 PM

42 posts, read 60,314 times
I think some of you are over analyzing this whole show. I just like the characters...and sure it always works out...which lets you know that it is just television. I love Brick (brick) and hope the show stays around for a while.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM

47 posts, read 122,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmandy View Post
I think some of you are over analyzing this whole show. I just like the characters...and sure it always works out...which lets you know that it is just television. I love Brick (brick) and hope the show stays around for a while.
I agree with you 100%! As a transplant from New England, I think the show is funny and most definitely depicts lower middle class Indiana and the quirky ways of Hoosiers. BTW, I think the they are supposed to live in a town near Terre Haute, and I'm not sure if the people that live in Terre Haute have the much desired (by previous posters) southern accent (I have only been there once). I think it was premeditated to not have southern accents because the show is supposed to depict the Midwest - of which most people don't have a southern accent.

Everyone should just enjoy the show for what it is, and be proud that it takes place in Indiana! Also, to those who said they like Parks & Recreation better, are you kidding? That show depicts so called professional people as a bunch of buffoons!

Old 04-14-2010, 04:04 PM

6,747 posts, read 7,641,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlocked60 View Post
Also, to those who said they like Parks & Recreation better, are you kidding? That show depicts so called professional people as a bunch of buffoons!
The funny thing about that show is that I know a girl that worked at the Lafayette Parks department when the producers were shadowing them, and a couple of the characters are spot on with some of the real life folks in the Lafayette Parks dept.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:01 PM

414 posts, read 706,147 times
Parks & Recreation is terrific. Ron Swanson is about as Hoosier as it gets.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:05 PM

54 posts, read 222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
Parks & Recreation is terrific. Ron Swanson is about as Hoosier as it gets.
P & R is growing on me.
I think "the Middle" is just OK. I've also heard that it's supposed to be set near Terre Haute, but my sense is that it's set in Greencastle, even though it's clearly filmed in S. Calif. There's a large quarry near G-castle, so that might make sense.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 397 times
as someone who has grown up and currently lives in indiana i think the show is accurate for a small town in southern indiana! and im from a small town in southern indiana!! it does not make fun of the people at all... honestly... we make fun of ourselves!

Old 05-16-2014, 02:18 PM

17,594 posts, read 24,523,372 times
If it takes place in southern indiana, then why is the only character with a kentuckiana accent, the white trash neighbor?

Old 05-19-2014, 06:14 AM

2,262 posts, read 1,313,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
If it takes place in southern indiana, then why is the only character with a kentuckiana accent, the white trash neighbor?
It does take place in southern Indiana. Frankie has mentioned it in her narration before, though it's never specified exactly how far south. For the record, Parks & Recreation takes place in southern Indiana, too, but no one with the stereotypes you mentioned exists in that show either.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 PM

49 posts, read 24,754 times
I just started watching the show because of this thread. I really like it. If it is making fun of Hoosiers, its in the same way the show Newhart poked fun at New Englanders.
The Hecks really remind of my old next door neighbors and there was also a Glossner like family that lived down the street! lol.

For me, the show has really brought back memories of 'Hoosierness'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana