U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2006, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 12,636 times

Advertisements

I just relocated to Bloomington (used to live here as a student) and am struggling with the public vs. private school debate for my elementary-age child. I'm having a hard time finding any data on the academic reputation of the Bloomington public schools. My child reads about 2 grade levels ahead, so I'm concerned about finding a school that will adequately challenge her - but private schools are quite expensive here. I'd appreciate any thoughts from parents/teachers/others in the know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2006, 10:33 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,865,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapa2
I just relocated to Bloomington (used to live here as a student) and am struggling with the public vs. private school debate for my elementary-age child. I'm having a hard time finding any data on the academic reputation of the Bloomington public schools. My child reads about 2 grade levels ahead, so I'm concerned about finding a school that will adequately challenge her - but private schools are quite expensive here. I'd appreciate any thoughts from parents/teachers/others in the know. Thanks!
Have you tried the Indiana Dept. of Education website? Just google it and you can search by specific schools. Have you checked into University School at IU? I honestly know nothing about it, but it may have a heavy tie in with IU. Other than that, I would suggest that you call the schools and start asking specific questions and tell them your concerns and needs for your child to get a good education.

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2006, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 14,423 times
Default Schools

http://www.mccsc.edu/

Try there website. I worked for Bloomington school system for 5 years and I think they have some really great things to offer kids. I wouldn't worry at all about your child not being challenged enough.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:45 PM

52 posts, read 359,116 times
I just moved from Bloomington a couple of days ago, but my children were attending elementary school there. The schools there are great. The top three schools in Bloomington are Clear Creek,Childs, and I think Union? They are ranked highest when it comes to testing scores. They just redistricted the elementary schools last year so you might have a hard time choosing the school of your choice. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2006, 08:14 PM

5,868 posts, read 7,093,742 times
Default from a parent

What a previous response was referring to at University Elementary is probably the ALPS program(think gifted and talented) which is housed there. It's by invitation only and maybe too late for your child. My experience is that MCCSC is not too keen on putting "untested" kids into the program--meaning transfers. A friend pulled her son out of the program because it was a bit too "nerdy" and her socially outgoing, highly intelligent child didn't quite fit the mold. Many of the students, at least in the past, focused solely on school, with little time to be kids or have a social life. My son was invited into the program, but we declined for grade school. We will let him participate in Middle school because he needs a change of pace. Our daughter choose not to participate in Middle school, but does take accelerated and advanced level classes at South, (and received all A's her first year) Not being in the gifted/talented program has not hurt her.

In terms of the private schools, I won't name names, but will tell you that I personally know many parents that are very dissatisfied with the quality of education their children are receiving at the largest religious school in B-ton. They have pulled them out. I also know that last year the students in my daughter's honors classes that attended that same school generally had the most difficult time and seemed to be ill prepared for a rigorous curriculum.

We moved here about 5 years ago. Our grade school experience has been at one of the more rural schools. We regularly communicated with our children's teachers and the principal. Our son was challenged because the "school" knew we expected it. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I believe in laying the cards out on the table. I don't want to burst your bubble, about your wonderful child, but this is a college town with lots of highly educated parents focused on learning. That means there are LOTS of smart kids out there! 2 grade levels on a standardized reading test won't get you much in this town when it comes to "challenge."

One more thing--don't let test scores sway your decision: visit the schools, talk to the principal, look at the classrooms. The grade school my children attended certainly does not have the highest test scores in the district, but it's not because of poor teachers. Instead of being one "smart" kid in a class of 30 smart kids, they were one "smart" kid in a class with maybe 3-5 "smart" kids and got the extra challenge and attention they needed. My daughter attended Jackson Creek MS--supposedly the best in B-ton if you look at the test scores and my son will attend. For such a great school I was pretty unimpressed overall.

Sorry this is so long. I hope it helps. Welcome to B-ton!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or