Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 10:22 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
that's rich ... inability to win big games ... ummmm ...
They aren't called Chokelahoma for nothing. Oklahoma is FAMOUS for losing BCS bowls - they have been to THREE "National Title" games under Stoops and have lost them ALL. They lost the bowl game last year, a few years ago they lost to a Boise State team that they should have beaten easily. Stoops record in big games is ATROCIOUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 11:18 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
hold it there cruster .. he won the NC in 2000 ... and whoa-as Bob Stoops ... get gets SECOND ... oh nooooo!!! ND can't go with this guy, no way ... they really need to go with an unproven second rate guy like Brian Kelly. yea, those OU fans are packing up Stoop's office as we speak .. they want him gone so bad. Dude.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:50 PM

855 posts, read 2,396,669 times
It's been over 20 years since ND won a national title. It was over 10 years before that. I'm sure most Irish fans would be okay with one national title, competing for several others and at least being in the picture on a regular basis the rest of the time as opposed to a state of perpetual mediocrity sprinkled with flashes of occasional competence and sporadic success.

Since Holtz left, ND has finished at or below .500 almost as often as they've finished above .500. Most of those above .500 seasons were barely above it. There have been two seasons in that time where they finished with double digit wins. Stoops teams' have finished with double digit wins 8 times. Stoops has 29 losses since he started at Oklahoma in 1999. ND coaches in that time span have lost 59.

I'd take Stoops' record in a heartbeat. Also, there's almost no doubt that his teams will at least be competitive as opposed to wondering what to expect one year to the next.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:01 PM

Stoops can also recruit top talent ... he can poach the south (revive the texas pipeline) and get the western PA and Ohio talent to jump ship.

Brian Kelly would be a better fit for Michigan.

Again, it's time.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:37 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
If ND lands Stoops, that would rate as one of the greatest catches in college football. I don't want to get my hopes that high though.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
I don't want to get my hopes that high though.
I don't blame you and it's probably best not to. We've been down this road more than once in the last 8 years and it's hard not to anticipate that swing and a miss, swing and a miss followed by a single dribbled weakly down the first base line.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLK55 View Post
I don't blame you and it's probably best not to. We've been down this road more than once in the last 8 years and it's hard not to anticipate that swing and a miss, swing and a miss followed by a single dribbled weakly down the first base line.
what's the buzz up there DLK????

Old 11-30-2009, 08:02 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
DLK55
It's been extremely painful to watch Head Football Coach failure at ND over the past decade and the current situation is indeed no exception.

Is AD Jack Swarbrick the man who can help make things right? I believe that remains to be seen. I am troubled by the fact that he himself hasn't moved his own family up to Notre Dame. That signals a lack of commitment that he is not fully on board.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 11-30-2009 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: add

Old 11-30-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
DLK55
It's been extremely painful to watch Head Football Coach failure at ND over the past decade and the current situation is indeed no exception.

Is AD Jack Swarbrick the man who can help make things right? I believe that remains to be seen. I am troubled by the fact that he himself hasn't moved his own family up to Notre Dame. That signals a lack of commitment that he is not fully on board.
that is quite disheartening. maybe he and mitch daniels are buddies. now i hope swarbrick gets passed over again for the ncaa position. he didn't give up his partnership at his law firm did he???

found this:

http://www.ibj.com/the-score/2009/11...AMS/post/14816
Quote:
Sources have confirmed that Swarbrick talked with Stoops over the weekend.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:03 PM

It's done as far as Charlie goes.

Weis out at Notre Dame
NewsCenter 16 has learned that Charlie Weis will not return as head football coach at Notre Dame for a 6th season.

Posted: 2:37 PM Nov 30, 2009
Reporter: Jeff Jeffers

NewsCenter 16 has learned that Charlie Weis will not return as head football coach at Notre Dame for a 6th season.

The coaching staff was told of Weis' dismissal this afternoon. A formal announcement is expected sometime late this afternoon or early this evening.

Sources tell NewsCenter 16 that members of the current Irish football coaching staff have been told by the university to continue recruiting for next season.

Weis out at Notre Dame

Also mentions no word on successors, brings up Stoops and Kelly as the most mentioned names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana