U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 05:57 AM
KMT KMT started this thread

80 posts, read 317,649 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any thoughts they can share on Salem Indiana? I am referring to the county seat of Washington county, just north and west of Louisville.

I specify because there appears to be four towns in Indiana named Salem!

Any thoughts for a family of four would be appreciated.

KMT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 04:35 PM

3 posts, read 32,113 times
Salem is a great little town. Good school system. Plenty of outdoor activities. parks and fishing and etc.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 6,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizt924 View Post
Salem is a great little town. Good school system. Plenty of outdoor activities. parks and fishing and etc.

As a graduate of Salem High School I highly disagree with this statement. They offer no advanced placement, you are not prepared at all for the challenges that face you in college...if you make it that far, and they punish the good kids while if you have a baby or act up you get to go to the alternative school for a half day while I who was 3 classes away from my academic honors diploma and 9th in the class had to attend school all day.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:43 PM

34 posts, read 32,387 times
Speaking as a close friend of someone railroaded (until a jury spoke) by the justice system, I myself have antipathy towards the entire county!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:38 AM

11 posts, read 55,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizt924 View Post
A great little town with a good ole boy system, a meth problem, drugs all over the place, few paying jobs, a little or no economy, or shopping. Not even a Wal Mart? Why is that? No Target, K Mart, or restaurants other than a few mom and pops and lousy burger joints.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 AM

11 posts, read 55,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopbottomhal View Post
Speaking as a close friend of someone railroaded (until a jury spoke) by the justice system, I myself have antipathy towards the entire county!
You hit it right about the town being a crooked place. Its a good ole boy system with endemic corruption and the old you scratch my back and I will scratch yours mentality. I've seen more than a few people get worked over by the place. Not only by the criminal justice system, but also in the workplace. If you get on the bad side of anyone, you better be looking for a new job or moving away. In fact, thats what I am planning! Yay!!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:26 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,861,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker06 View Post
You hit it right about the town being a crooked place. Its a good ole boy system with endemic corruption and the old you scratch my back and I will scratch yours mentality. I've seen more than a few people get worked over by the place. Not only by the criminal justice system, but also in the workplace. If you get on the bad side of anyone, you better be looking for a new job or moving away. In fact, thats what I am planning! Yay!!
Ok Striker, we get your drift.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:05 PM

26 posts, read 82,934 times
I thought I might throw my hat into to ring here and say a few words. I move from Salem in 6th grade but I have been back to visit regularly and have moved back to the area in recent years. I've live in two other states and several cities. Honestly I have mixed feelings about the town, and I think it's one of those places where two people can both live there and have very very different experiences. Here's a quick Pros and cons list from my point of view.
Pros:
--Small town feel, slower pace of life
--Generally friendly
--Clerks and cashiers tend to be more helpful and friendly than alot of other places
--Real Estate is incredibly affordable compared to more "suburb like" towns closer to louisville
--if you stick around long enough, and talk to enough people, you feel like you know everybody. Very rarely people are more that "six degrees of separation".
--The natural beauty is truly under appreciated in the area
--easy access to hunting and fishing and outdoor recreation

Cons:
*Let me preface this with MOST of this stuff is True about nearly ALL small towns, to various degrees

--Alot of people might know your name, but most likely they know your business too. It's hard to keep secrets in a small town.
--Weak economic base: Most of the "good paying" jobs in town are factory/industrial/construction. The rest are minimum wage and or p/t. So if you want something else be prepared to commute up to an Hour one way for work.
--It might look like a town straight out of the 50s, with quaint stores and old buildings. But along with that comes a healthy dose of "old fashioned ideas" (good and bad) and a fair bit of cronyism and "good ol boys club". You know the top five families that run everything. (Again TRUE of ALMOST ALL Small Towns)

--As previously mentioned, the public school system leaves something to be desired. I think it would help if there was some competition from a private/alternative school. Though I will say that there are much worse schools you could send your kids too (many public ones in Louisville, for example)

---The Justice System has been mentioned before me, so I will keep it short. In this town you are judged ALOT by your family name and the company you keep. If you get in trouble with the cops once, they won't forget it and they will be likely to be twice as hard on you for it. If you keep your nose clean and are polite to the police, it's been my experience that you will be just fine. And if not, get a Good Lawyer from OUT OF TOWN.

This was just a short list. I'm neither promoting nor condemning the area. As with any where else you really just have to decide for yourself what's important and what you can live with or without. I hope someone finds this helpful.

PS: If your thinking of Living in Salem and commuting to Louisville by state rd 60, Don't believe what the maps tell you. during rush hour it is a MINIMUM of 1 HOUR ONE WAY. And if there is bad weather/ a slow tractor/ accident. You can be delayed up to an extra hour with no alternative route ( I speak from experience). If you have to commute to Louisville, look in areas close to 65 (like Scottsburg) or somewhere you can take 135. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by SpoonBread; 03-24-2008 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: poor gramar/ Clarification

Old 04-14-2008, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 6,305 times
Default Moving on

I am currently living in Salem IN and am looking into selling my house and move closer to work. For one thing I seem to drive too slow on hwy 60 (60-65mph) and constantly have been tailgated by idiots with their headlights on bright or flipped off by some nut jacked up on crystal meth at 5am. I am 43 years old and I don't have many friends in Salem because I'm not a drug addict. Their is no law enforcement in this town and it is no use to call the police. I've tried to give this place a chance but I think its time to move on. I'll be glad to start a over somewhere else and not have to travel this hwy. Maybe I can meet some decent people my age.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,233 times
Default Salem Where Has All The Jobs Gone?

We moved to Salem in 1974 from Mitchell, Indiana. It was culture shock not to say that Mitchell was a bustling Metropolis but it was compared to Salem. First and foremost is the ecomony or the lack thereof since most of the jobs have left Salem over the past 30 plus years it has gone spiraling down. Don't misunderstand the jobs that have left were not that great to start with but there were jobs to employ the inhabitants of Washington county. If you do still have a job in Salem or the surrounding cities in the county the average pay and it is considered good pay is around $12 an hour. Only most people make anywhere from $ 7 to $ 10 an hour. Since the ecomony is pretty much nonexistant all things are relative to each other - quality of schools, the local government, the police department, etc.
The major blame falls on the local city and county governments for not allowing major businesses to come into the county and build. You see they didn't want high paying companies coming into to their small town and ruining the charm. That's why I couldn't stay - I had to find a job out of college 600 miles away. I would love to come back but the ecomony is so bad that I cannot afford to move back. (unless I win the lottery) Getting back to the local and county government if Salem wanted to grow and wanted to be a great county it must elect officials that will allow companies to come and operate in Washington county. Then the school systems would improve, the local hospital would become better, the police department would change, the government would be held accountable and more people would be staying. Update on Mitchell it too has seen its share of bad times since one of its oldest companies folded - Carpenter Body Works. But I do feel the quality of education is better in Mitchell - Lawrence county. Do I love Salem - yes as a retirement community it is great but if you have health problems no due to the lack of a major hospital being close by. So, if I ever win the lottery then I might move back but my kids will be in a private school or home schooled and I will have a home in NC as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or