Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,510 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm considering building a new home and I have been looking to to see if I could get an estimate on what my property taxes might be. I haven't really been able to find much. I've read about the 1% state cap, but I'm not sure if there are other, more local taxes to be aware of. I'd appreciate any information on how this works that you may have or who I could contact to find out. If I go forward with it, I would be building in Noblesville, Hamilton County sometime in early 2010. I looked up the tax bills for 2008 payable 2009 for simliar houses in the neighborhood they seem to be around 2.5% of the assessed value. I'm really afraid of getting into a mess because I don't understand how it works.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 08:27 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,491,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblt View Post
Hi,

I'm considering building a new home and I have been looking to to see if I could get an estimate on what my property taxes might be. I haven't really been able to find much. I've read about the 1% state cap, but I'm not sure if there are other, more local taxes to be aware of. I'd appreciate any information on how this works that you may have or who I could contact to find out. If I go forward with it, I would be building in Noblesville, Hamilton County sometime in early 2010. I looked up the tax bills for 2008 payable 2009 for simliar houses in the neighborhood they seem to be around 2.5% of the assessed value. I'm really afraid of getting into a mess because I don't understand how it works.

Thanks!
If you're seeing 2.5% of assessed value in Hamilton County, then I have to figure those aren't homestead properties. The 2010 cap is 1% of assessed valuation. The only way this can be exceeded in Hamilton County is if the local school district has an additional millage approved via referendum. So far, only HSE has had this done. So, you're probably safe in betting on the 1%.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,510 times
The house that I looked up was built as a spec property by the builder and i believe was purchased in march of 2009. Would that mean that it isn't homestead? Is the 1% permanent?

Thanks, I appreciate the response.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,491,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblt View Post
The house that I looked up was built as a spec property by the builder and i believe was purchased in march of 2009. Would that mean that it isn't homestead? Is the 1% permanent?

Thanks, I appreciate the response.
If it was just purchased in March from the builder, then I suspect the homestead exemption has taken effect (remember, property taxes are paid in arrears).

The 1% cap is statutory at this point. There is movement now, however, to make them constitutional.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:19 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,259,523 times
If it was purchased in March of 2009, the tax bill you are seeing would likely be the amount taxed in 2008, payable in 2009. The builder would not have been able to file the homestead exemption unless he lived in it as his residence. The current owners may have now filed for the exemption, but the tax bill that reflects this exemption will not show up until 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana