U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 PM

2,497 posts, read 4,148,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaeBekkah View Post
hey everyone,
Im Moving from California to Indiana, and im totally scared.... Is there any advice? Like hows the weather? What kinda job, How are the people, anything..thanks

Becky.

We have weather
There are jobs ... but it depends on where you are looking
We have people too

please be specific ... our fair state isn't like a town square where all hoosiers see each other everyday and give a wink and a wave.
You have a very sketchy post. You need to list more about what your looking for and more about your interests if you want a decent answer.

As far as weather...put your shorts and sunglasses in storage, you will only use them a few months out of the year here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 12:47 PM

2,497 posts, read 4,148,799 times
As far as the CA transplants who claim they have found paradise in Indiana, to each's own. Glad to see some people here actually enjoy this state. It is great for a family I must admit, but as a single 33 year old bleeding heart liberal who has endured 33 winters, 33 springs, 33 summers, and 33 Autumns I can say I am ready to move out of here to a state with a more stable climate. I can't stand it here much longer.
I just don't think anyone should paint a vision of beauty to the OP, there's are many things on the not-so-good side to take into consideration. Digging your car out of snow, slush all over everything, lack of sunlight, low paying jobs, conservatism, heavy religion etc. I live in Elkhart Indiana and there are zero jobs, tons of rednecks, and it's just depressing. (as you can tell by my gloom & doom post)

Old 01-10-2010, 12:49 PM

265 posts, read 581,723 times
There are bad places everywhere and truthfully, I wasn't enchanted with Indiana when I first moved here. A change in towns was all it took to find my bliss.

Everyone's preferences and priorities are going to be a little different...that doesn't make them wrong or right, just different. Good luck to you.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:19 PM

518 posts, read 866,833 times
Elkhart is going through some rough times but I honestly believe they have hit the rock bottom and it will get better, but it will take YEARS. The lower paying jobs is true, but also take into consideration the cost of living here as well. Jobs are at a premium right now. We were in a recession last time I checked. Who says religion is a bad thing? Even if you are not religious, you don't have to be angry at the people that are. Lack of sunlight is a valid argument and the snow isn't that bad..

Old 01-10-2010, 11:59 PM

16 posts, read 67,674 times
hey Bec,

I am movin from cali as well. I believe the weather would take some time to get used to. banking will be another issue if u have wells fargo. there wud be limited options for night life (depends on where ud be moving)

Old 01-11-2010, 06:10 AM

265 posts, read 581,723 times
I don't understand the banking comment. Wells Fargo has a banking presence in Indiana, although I tend to recommend people stick with smaller, locally owned banks or better yet, credit unions. Fees are lower and you're less likely to get burned by artificial NSF fees (large banks tend to process debits before credits, even if the credit was deposited way in advance of the date of the debits. My son got burned by a large bank that way).

As far as night life is concerned, no you're not going to find it in smaller towns and rural areas, but the same can be said of similar areas in California.

Weather is a biggie. It took me a long time to get used to the cold winters, but again, if she is relocating from a 4 seasons area in California, that's not going to be much of a shock.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:42 AM

17,603 posts, read 25,027,853 times
I'm afraid that you coming from LA (right?) ... you'll be miserable within a month in Scottsberg. Again, not sure what you are expecting. It may be worth your while to look for something closer to Louisville on the indiana side of the river. have you posted over on the louisville forum???? we have a mod over there that's extremely knowledgeable and could probably rattle off places to live on a budget.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 5,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
As far as the CA transplants who claim they have found paradise in Indiana, to each's own. Glad to see some people here actually enjoy this state. It is great for a family I must admit, but as a single 33 year old bleeding heart liberal who has endured 33 winters, 33 springs, 33 summers, and 33 Autumns I can say I am ready to move out of here to a state with a more stable climate. I can't stand it here much longer.
I just don't think anyone should paint a vision of beauty to the OP, there's are many things on the not-so-good side to take into consideration. Digging your car out of snow, slush all over everything, lack of sunlight, low paying jobs, conservatism, heavy religion etc. I live in Elkhart Indiana and there are zero jobs, tons of rednecks, and it's just depressing. (as you can tell by my gloom & doom post)

wow, I moved to indiana from california with my parents in my teens and my parents are the exact opposite. Maybe try moving somewhere like fishers/noblesville?

My parents went from a 2.5k sq ft million dollar home to 10k sq ft here in Indiana so for them it was a great experience, plus most of our family is here.

California is what you make of it I guess, just a bunch of small over inflated priced homes in my opinion.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 PM

5,690 posts, read 6,293,059 times
Quote:
......conservatism, heavy religion etc. .....
This criticism is so overblown. You want a heavy dose of conservatism and religion? Try Jonesboro, Arkansas, for 8 years like I did. You'll come running back to the Midwest.

Besides, California has its share of mega-churches.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 PM

17,603 posts, read 25,027,853 times
Quote:
it's all relative in reality. What you get in the weather exchange, you gain in earthquakes and increased cost of living. I would certainly be the first to tell anyone who despises Indiana to go out and find your bliss ... nobody should live anywhere that they are miserable. Life's too short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana