Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,576 times

Advertisements

I hear slams against our state and city all the time. I know Indiana will never have the draw of the coastal states or the appeal of the mountains or beaches which other states are blessed with.
Still when I read things that make me feel like people sped thorugh our state on I-70 or I-90 and judged the quality of our state by the scenery, it seems odd that they would even consider making a comment.
I'd like to know why people are so quick to judge fellow Americans and other states. Am I wrong to think every place has some inherent beauty. And would it not be odd if Indianapolis had the cultural diversity of a city 12 times its size?
Still, when I look around and try to find something about our state which sets it apart from others, it is difficult.
Maybe we are truly "the middle", average Americans with nothing particularly special or unique that defines us, other than our unusual nickname "Hoosiers". Maybe being a cultural wasteland is a harsh description that we can embrace. It certainly sound better than the Rust Belt.
If you think of something that Hoosiers excel in or something that makes this state unique from others, I'd like to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 03:11 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,048 times
I'm kinda proud of our state because it isn't filled with bunny and tree huggers that we were subjected to in several of the western states. I like the fact that it is rural and QUIET at night, and sometimes during day too. I struck in awe that Indy would have a world class museum - Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art I've been to all of them and nothing out west compares to it.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:30 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
The educational institutions in Indiana are fantastic, for one. Lake Michigan is beautiful... Indiana dunes, for example. The hills of southern Indiana are gorgeous. Indianapolis IS a world-class city.

This is just a sampling.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:38 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I second Indiana Dunes. It's one of the most unique ecosystems in the United States. And I should know, I'm a treehugger.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Unfortunately, 'tis human nature to way too often (esp. when facing / seeing something new) judge quickly, and to judge just on what they see on the surface. Example - I've been to New Jersey dozen or so times over the past ten years,,, and all I've ever seen, contrary to their license plates stating that they are the "Garden State", is asphalt and concrete and gazillion peoples and cars and buildings; and that is just because I've only seen Newark and Elizabeth areas. I will also admit that I have stated numerous times how much I despise Illinois,,, all because I drive on I-70 to get between IN and MO, and (a) its a pretty durn boring flat drive, (b) the speed limit is insanely frickingly low, and (c) the speed limit is way too low while driving across that boring mid-section of flatness. Yet, IL has awesome beautiful parts too... just as every state does [yea, even Kansas! Well, so I've been told ] But seriously, the other aspect of all this - beauty is in the eye of the beholder... what drives one person insane, will be the cat's meow to another. And as to the Dunes - one of the blessings of being here in NE Indiana is only couple hours away from that awesome area. Would love to be closer to beloved caves and springs and rolling hills of the southern section, but even this part of the state has its positives. A good book for this state's natural areas: Amazon.com: Wild & Scenic Indiana (Wild & Scenic) (9780763184643): Scott Russell Sanders, Rich Clark: Books Lastly, I hate recommending driving [burning fuel + funds], but these two routes are quite nice: 80-mile Autumn Loop near Bedford and/or the +300 mile Ohio River Scenic Byway,,, Brown County and/or Amish country are also very scenic too. One more thing... the wealth of festivals and such in the state also is a aspect - gives chance to meet people, see different cultures, experience different tastes,,, and that to me is no wasteland.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 6,784 times
People from Illinois will soon love Indiana, if you know what I mean .

Old 03-02-2011, 04:51 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Indiana is no more of a cultural wasteland than any other state. In fact, Other than Chicago and it's burbs, what does Illnois have that Indiana doesn't ... hmmmm .... again, take Chicago out of the picture: Indiana has 3 of the finest world class universities spread around the state (ND, IU, Purdue). The topography is similar (southern Illinois and Southern Indiana). Indiana is a sports mecca, especially for amateur sports (NCAA's, swimming championships, and ... ok .... the Superbowl). Is that cultural? I'd argue yes, but I like sports too. But if you want pure cultural, IU routinely brings world class high high culture onto it's campus each and every year. Plus, since their music school attracts world class singers and musicians, that's something only NYC can say they have a better scene than Indiana.

Indiana is remarkable in that for a state of it's size and location, we can keep up with the likes of major metro areas in terms of sports and cultural offerings.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:13 AM

512 posts, read 861,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BURBANK9643 View Post
I hear slams against our state and city all the time. I know Indiana will never have the draw of the coastal states or the appeal of the mountains or beaches which other states are blessed with.
Still when I read things that make me feel like people sped thorugh our state on I-70 or I-90 and judged the quality of our state by the scenery, it seems odd that they would even consider making a comment.
I'd like to know why people are so quick to judge fellow Americans and other states. Am I wrong to think every place has some inherent beauty. And would it not be odd if Indianapolis had the cultural diversity of a city 12 times its size?
Still, when I look around and try to find something about our state which sets it apart from others, it is difficult.
Maybe we are truly "the middle", average Americans with nothing particularly special or unique that defines us, other than our unusual nickname "Hoosiers". Maybe being a cultural wasteland is a harsh description that we can embrace. It certainly sound better than the Rust Belt.
If you think of something that Hoosiers excel in or something that makes this state unique from others, I'd like to hear.
I think as far as people go, we're entirely unique. Our culture is so diverse, because of our location. Yeah, people don't know where to categorize us. Are we North? South? (funny, when I lived in TX I was called a Damn Yankee ) Are we Midwest? Well, we're all three and so much more. I think that's a huge asset to the state, to have people so diverse.

And beauty, we have it in abundance, but maybe that's just in the eye of the beholder. I guess someone living on one of the coasts might feel landlocked, and someone from the Rockies or Sierra Navada's might not get the beauty and grace of our rolling hills and flatlands, But that's okay. I love taking a drive through the patchwork of farmland before the corn gets too tall. Or seeing all the covered bridges all over the state. The Dunes are gorgeous and Hoosier National Forest is breathtaking and a hikers dream. Our state park system, although severly unfunded of late, is still among the best I've experienced.

And I personally think Indy is an awesome city. There is culture there. maybe not a Broadway or a Hollywood, but many times the culture found in Indy is far better.

Sure other state have their claims to fame, and that's okay. But I like Indiana just like it is, even if it is in the middle. Heck, even that is a cool thing.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,187 times
Don't like it here?

LEAVE!

Want "cult-ure"?

Try the Petri dish out west.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BURBANK9643 View Post
I'd like to know why people are so quick to judge fellow Americans and other states.
I don't know why Americans are so judgmental, but I can assure you it's not just a state v. state thing. People from the same state judge each other based on what part of the state they're from. People from the same city judge each other based on what neighborhood they're in. Etc. Doesn't matter what state you live in--judgmental people can and will find a way.

I've never heard the term "cultural wasteland" used to describe IN. In fact, I've never heard that term used at all. It's extremely vague. If you have people, you have culture. Clearly the culture is different in New York City than it is in rural Indiana, but that doesn't mean culture in Indiana is nonexistent.

If by culture you mean metropolitan or "high" culture--then no, you're not going to find that as much in Indiana, largely because it isn't a highly populated state. But there are many other kinds of culture in Indiana, which several other posters have pointed out already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana