U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-23-2007, 12:50 AM

4 posts, read 23,136 times

Advertisements

We have a stunning home in Munster that is for sale - it is absolutely beautiful and we just put it on the market - what is your price range?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 08:43 AM

17,605 posts, read 25,228,707 times
Another real estate resource for NWI is Greater Northwest Indiana Association of REALTORS You can search by neighborhood and school district, which is key because the lines are very blurry, especially in the Crown Point and Valpo school districts.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,649 times
wow...i guess you're really willing to COMMUTE to the city....I lived in Munster & Hammond, IN for most of my life while commuting to chicago...I thought it was gruelling!!!! The SouthShore train ride is okay, but the schedule is not the greatest. Moving to Chesterton would be a very long commute to Chicago. good luck. did you try looking in Dyer, IN?

Old 06-29-2007, 11:10 PM

691 posts, read 1,293,852 times
Actually the commute to the city is a lot less grueling from most of the towns in Northwest Indiana then many Illinois suburbs. Most people don't know that Munster and Highland are closer to Downtown Chicago then Naperville or Schaumburg are! Many don't think twice about commuting from Naperville and Schaumburg. But since NW Indiana is out of state the idea in many folks minds is that it is far but it really isn't it is actually closer. NW Indiana is a great value for the downtown Chicago employee. It is so much more affordable then Illinois! Domergurl is right that GNIAR is a good website for Real Estate in NW Indiana. Good Luck!

Old 06-30-2007, 01:21 AM

1,903 posts, read 5,745,206 times
Aren't Chesterton and Merrillville/Schererville as far from Chicago as Naperville? Not fun commuting, plus you get to see the armpit of the Chicagoland area on your commute in.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:13 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,319,758 times
Merrillville isn't. I used to live in Griffith and I could make it downtown in a little over 30 minutes via the Indiana Toll Road & Skyway.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:43 AM

17,605 posts, read 25,228,707 times
It's funny, so many Illinois people think you are movng to another country when they say they want to move to NWI. When we lived in Grayslake and commuted downtown, it took a little over an hour, about the same as the ride from Chesterton.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winters816 View Post
I want to thank everyone for posting so far. We drove to Chesterton over the weekend. It was pretty nice. I am in shock at the diffrence its like a whole nother world. We checked out the beach and ate on country road at El Satio (sp) really good have the half rolled fajita taco salad. I didt find any major shopping though such as; homedepot, sams club, walmart. Where is all that? Im from a small town and can get used to chesterton but I have so much more to learn. Is the water there contaminated because of the plants? There has got to be a catch to living so much cheaper and being so close to Chicago. I am going to find a hotel down there and look around more another weekend. If you have any details about Chesterton please post them.
Thanks!!!!
I grew up in Cheesetown. That area where El Salto's is has really been developed in the last 5 years. But yeah, as for the big stores (Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) you'll have to go to Valpo or another town nearby (Portage has probably the biggest Wal-Mart in the world). The idiot people that own all the little shops downtown didn't want Target to come to Chesterton for fear that it would take away from their businesses (I don't think I've ever really bought anything downtown aside from candy from the old Ben Franklin and baseball cards next door when I was a kid). But anyway, Chesterton is a great town to live in. The school district is pretty big so you can choose to live in the town or out in the country. I don't think the quality of education is any different in either area, especially now that all 7th and 8th graders go to the same middle school as opposed to 2 different ones. All schools feed into Chesterton High School which opened a new building in the fall of 2000. That's really all I got right now. Don't hesitate to ask about any specifics.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:42 PM

7 posts, read 20,517 times
I would suggest Portage, Valparaiso, or Chesterton. Portage is a little more in the center with Valpraiso and Chesterton being a little farther. Valpo does have the university and while that is good for the community, it's one thing that would actually keep me from moving there. Portage is thriving and we have almost as much shopping (Kohl's, Super Wal-Mart, Bass Pro-Shop, Lowe's, Menards, etc.) as Valpo. We have quite a few restaurants too. We are building quite a bit and will soon have several more stores and restaurants and there has been talk of a Target. The mayor mentioned the possibility of a mall. That would be on the outskirts of the city, though, near the exits for I-94. We also have a movie theatre - 16 theatre with an Imax. All 3 cities have good schools, low crime, and nice housing. And of course, you will find the beaches in all 3 of these cities, as well. Oh, and I feel that the access to the train to go into Chicago is easiest in Portage, but it's not bad in the other areas, as well.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:49 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,319,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winters816 View Post
I want to thank everyone for posting so far. We drove to Chesterton over the weekend. It was pretty nice. I am in shock at the diffrence its like a whole nother world. We checked out the beach and ate on country road at El Satio (sp) really good have the half rolled fajita taco salad. I didt find any major shopping though such as; homedepot, sams club, walmart. Where is all that? Im from a small town and can get used to chesterton but I have so much more to learn. Is the water there contaminated because of the plants? There has got to be a catch to living so much cheaper and being so close to Chicago. I am going to find a hotel down there and look around more another weekend. If you have any details about Chesterton please post them.
Thanks!!!!
If you take Route 49 South towards Valpo, you will find Menards, Walmart, Home Depot, Kohl's etc. I don't think there is a Sam's Club in Valpo, only in Merillville. When I lived in Northern Illinois I was about 40 miles from the Sam's Club in Rockford, so I would make that trip once a month & stock up on what I wanted. There is also a Costco in Merrillville if you like that store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana