Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,025 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon all, I hope everyone is having an enjoyable day. Anyhow, so I was recently offered a position in Crane, IN. They recommended that I look into Bloomington. I've browsed through this forum and have found a lot of helpful information, but not particularly specific to me and my 'agenda'. I've been told that the commute is only about 25 minutes, but looking at google maps it really appears to be about an hour commute to the destination from the heart of Bloomington. Location isn't a huge factor as I do have a car.

I'm a young professional, I'm a 24 year old male who enjoys playing sports and attending sporting events. I'm quite social and enjoy going to bars and or clubs, dives and enjoying good restaurants and scenery. I'm serious when it comes to work but I enjoy life to say the least.

The position is a long term contract, possibly up to 5 years. I've heard that Bloomington is somewhat like PennState Main Campus. What is Bloomington like, for an individual out of college and working? The last time I made a move somewhere by myself was when I moved to college myself, I moved to Philadelphia and well it is easy to meet people as a freshman. I'm hoping that it would be easy to meet and make friends and a girlfriend or two out in Bloomington. I don't expect a huge city feel, but at least a measure to the events and social aspects of Philadelphia would be huge.

I'm looking to rent for at least the first year, can anyone recommend any apartment complexes/condo's/lofts/flats that are recommended? I'd prefer to live with a younger crowd. I'd like to pay below 1200 for everything included a month.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. But any advice to a young professional looking for friends and some romance, please post your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 02:44 PM

196 posts, read 696,958 times
From your interests I agree that Bloomington is probably the place you would like.

You might find an appartment on the west side like Muller Park Apartments & Townhouses | Indiana University Bloomington | Home that caters to students and would be a little closer to Crane. I know a few students who live there, but I don't know whether they like it or not.

I think that a 45 minute commute from the westside would probably be about right. The roads aren't bad, but it's all 2 lane.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,025 times
Thanks for the info. I don't think I'm looking for a fully furnished complex, so my apartment hunt remains open. I assume as this is a college town there is a decent cab/taxi business?

Thanks again, any more information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:21 PM

21 posts, read 21,180 times
yes, there is a cab company and it's probably way cheaper than philly. you might also try bloomington.craigslist.org or rentbloomington.com for apartments or houses. you can get an incredible place for the rent or go a little more modest and save a ton of cash, particularly if you rent a house a little out of town on the way to crane to shorten your commute. during school there's almost no way you won't be living near a younger crowd, but asking for one will put you with students. renaissance rentals (www.renaissancerentals.com (broken link)) might have some geared more to grad students which could be perfect for you.

Last edited by franklindelanoroosevelt; 06-04-2010 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: over paste
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana