U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 08:07 PM

400 posts, read 933,032 times

Advertisements

Whatever happened to Broomsage Ranch in North Vernon? What little information I've found on the Internet is vague and almost contradictory. What is there now? Were condos ever built there? What happened to the lakes, the cave and the airstrip? I know there was a pool and nightclub later in the 1980s.
I'm in Cincinnati and no one here ever heard of the place, and when I tell people about staying there in the 1970s and what an unusual campground it was, they are amazed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 01:38 PM

Location: Indianapolis, IN with offices throughout Central IN servicing the whole US>
40 posts, read 101,701 times
My brother in law is from North Vernon - so I asked him - here is his response:

Oh sure. Broomsage Ranch sat down in the southern part of Jennings County on Highway 7. Cowboy Bob hung out there all the time and mentioned it occasionally on his TV show.

A fellow named Warner owned the ranch. I believe he served as the Republican county chariman around 1970. His son Mark was a year younger, and took the same Latin I class, as me. Mark told the class once that some guys (class members of 1971) got drunk and rowdy at the ranch during an after prom party and several of them kicked the **** out of an antique sleigh. One of his buddies said that if the sleigh was full of **** then it probably wasn't a great loss.

I only visited Broomsage one time. Our FFA chapter went out for an afternoon one summer. I remember that the ranch offered a pool, lake, picnic area and of course horseback riding. I think the name came from the abundance of broomsage in the area. It's a common plant (weed) growing in the poor soil of Jennings County.

The ranch closed sometime in the 80's I think. My barber John in Greenwood would know what's going on with the property now. He was in the same class as Mark Warner and although he now cuts hair in Greenwood, his family is still down there and he visits nearly weekly. He keeps me up on current events.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:56 AM

Location: Indianapolis, IN with offices throughout Central IN servicing the whole US>
40 posts, read 101,701 times
More info we found:
05-06-2005, 12:47 PM

I am working on a business plan for opening a large bar in my home town of 35,000 poeple. This plan is for my thesis for the finale of my Master's degree. I do realize that this will be very informing and educational yet challenging at the same time.
I would appreciate any information that someone would be willing to share regarding licenses, insurance and permits. I have already involved my insurance agent in the costs and coverage for an establishment like this. I do live in Indiana and plan to look around for more information on the permits for the building and the liquor.
The concept that I am going off of is based on the former bar called Broomsage Ranch. It was off of the beaten path in an excellent location. There was a nice outside area for fresh air or cooling off. The site was a two story building with a mezzanine that allowed you to see the lower level dance floor. It also featured a stage where a local cover band played every Saturday night. There were two area. The front bar was for the live hair bands playing. The other was a dance floor area. The second story also had an area for eight billiard tables.
The best part of this place was that there was security everywhere and in all the visits to this location, I never witnessed a fight. Their bartenders were very perceptive when it came to the patrons and their limits.
If anyone would be willing to email about their establishment and the pro's/con's from their viewpoint, that would be appreciated.
Again, this is for a thesis, I am not looking to invest and start this one my own dime. I understand the risks and obligations that go into this.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 10,494 times
Wow, I use to go to Broomsage alot. As a kid with my parents camping and then as an adult to the bar. The Warners sold it ro a family out of Arizona, if I'm correct. He died and his wife then took over the bar. The bank later foreclosed on it and she moved back to Arizona. What a great place it was to go and have a drink and enjoy the weekend.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:31 PM

Default found two articles

I found two recent articles about Broomsage.

North Vernon Plain Dealer, June 9, 2010:
George Warner known for Broomsage

North Vernon Plain Dealer June 23, 2010:
North Vernon Plain Dealer & Sun | Town and Country Home and Garden Tour-Family finds lake living suits their tastes

Old 10-30-2014, 02:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,733 times
A little more about Broomsage. It didn't close in the 80s as was stated earlier. It was open well into the 2000s in fact I DJd there from like 2000-2002 time frame. The owner's name was Linda. She was Warren's widow. The front part of the building used to be a restaurant and about the time I started working there it was converted into a sports bar called Boggie's. I wouldn't call any of the band's that performed there "hair bands" however. The house band's name was Eastern Sky. A few years after I quit the place was shut down by the state fire marshal for not having proper sprinklers, etc. after giving Linda a grace period to bring the building up to code, which she failed to do. The bar was struggling anyway despite always being packed. I strongly believed that Linda had a large cocaine or similar problem. She just didn't have the business sense Warren had. They did have some big names perform there, however. My first night DJing there Dennis Locorriere (former lead singer of Dr. Hook) performed and Wade Hayes played another night I was there.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:51 AM

Default broomsage ranch update

I was in North Vernon over the weekend and finally went on a hunt for Broomsage Ranch. It is now a gated community. You can get to the entrance and look across the lake but that is as far as you can get. I also went down the road in the other direction and the old red brick farmhouse that I remembered is gone. I have no idea if the cave is still accessible or if the airstrip is still there.

broomsage ranch-broomsage-1-2.jpg

broomsage ranch-broomsage-3-2.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or