Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:02 AM

3 posts, read 3,639 times

Advertisements

I might have a quick decision to make and I am researching areas with nice neighborhoods and schools as single mom with middle school and high school boys. I was looking at Zionsville, Avon and Carmel--need to be close to the airport. Carmel makes me nervous-I have a rising 7th grade jock and the "hazing" news in Carmel has me very worried. Would have to rent a nice home and then buy in the school district. Anyone have a strong opinion? My first choice would be a place where neighborhoods were very close to the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 06:19 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
While the Carmel hazing incident is disturbing, I don't believe it should prevent you from considering Carmel. So far as I know, it was limited to the basketball team, and those coaches are now gone. Carmel schools are still top-notch.

That said, if it's important for you to be close to the aiport, then of the three you mention, Avon should be your No. 1. I would also consider Plainfield and Brownsburg.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
I would be most comfortable with Avon, Plainfield, Brownsburg if working at or around the airport. Most of the schools are new or newish, suburban feel. Easy!! drive to airport area with several routes. You will be able to spend more time with the kids and less on the road.

All price ranges for homes. A real estate professional should be able to easily give you info on available housing and kid friendly neighborhoods. Shopping easy in the area with all but the most specialized stores. Lots of grocery competition which helps keep prices low.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:30 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,511 times
I live in Avon, and love it here, I also have 2 boys. They're in elementary school though. We have 2 middle schools, and lots of great homes nearby. Like Sweetana said, with a variety of prices.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:34 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,263 times
Avon and Plainfield are probably your best bets, though Brownsburg wouldn't be bad either. Zionsville and Carmel will be on a different echelon and have a considerably more upscale vibe. The first three listed suburbs are all in Hendricks county which is generally upper-middle class.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:29 PM

14 posts, read 55,204 times
If the airport and good schools are important, you cannot beat Avon, Plainfield, or Brownsburg...
We love it out here!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,639 times
Thanks all! I will visit next week and look at those areas. I am hoping to find and orchestra program at the school. Son #1 is active in the symphony.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:10 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,511 times
I know that Avon's marching band is phenomenal, and I know there is a Hendricks Co. symphany but I don't know about the school's orchestra program.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:20 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersrule88 View Post
Thanks all! I will visit next week and look at those areas. I am hoping to find and orchestra program at the school. Son #1 is active in the symphony.
I am pretty sure Carmel has one of the top orchestra's in the state and same goes for marching band.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:57 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
It would probably be best for a single mom to live close to her work to be able to spend the time with her kids instead of commuting. Living in Carmel would not provide enough benefit to the family due to extensive commute times (and cost) that living in Plainfield or surrounding areas would provide.

It would be different if there were no good schools or housing available but that is not the case.

My husband has commuted from 15 minutes to 40 minutes one way in various areas we have lived and our last house he requested be as close to work as possible to remove as much commuting time as we could. He loved having a 10 minute round trip.

Emergencies and activities do occur with kids that require either a quick trip or attendance and if you choose to live a long distance away or are held up by traffic or weather, this can cause problems that are increased by being a single parent. Choose living close and shopping far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis