Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:11 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times

Advertisements

I guess Honda was a major presence there. They are now hiring for production jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 06:30 AM

22 posts, read 116,194 times
Indianapolis has thousands of job available. Unfortunatly most are low paying service related jobs.
Most of the larger companies are losing ground. Ford is gone, Chevy is going slow, Eli Lilly hires through the agencies who keep the majority of the wage, The city and state have hiring freeze etc.. Suppose its like most places now.
You wont get rich in Indiana for sure. You can makes ends meet. Expect to work over 40 hours weekly and more to make this happen.
Its a 2 income town for sure if you want a home in a nice neighborhood.
I just left Indiana because for the price I can get the same things and be in a warm beach community.
Dont get me wrong, Indiana was good to me after it kicked my butt for many years. Grew up there, got my education etc... but Indiana has a problem with brain drain... people get educated and leave. I choose to leave because of the threat of high taxes lowering property values and increasing crime. If I am going have to work my butt off to keep ahead, I wanted to be able to spend the few hours relaxing on a beach.

Best of luck to you

Old 09-02-2007, 09:45 AM

Default Encouraging???

Factory-parts maker relocating up the road | IndyStar.com

Old 09-05-2007, 12:28 PM

39 posts, read 162,572 times
I recentlY read that the head of the Hamilton SE school system makes 150k a year - if that helps.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:40 AM

754 posts, read 2,814,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmeister View Post
The property tax situation + real estate market has created a tremendous wave of negativity right now. People went from generally positive to totally negative the first week of July when they saw their ridiculous property tax bills. It's like people woke up and said "Wow, we got some problems here!".

The steps toward a solution could come with the November elections, and then with the Indiana General Assembly in Jan 08. The problems are fixable. If we keep the heat on the elected officials, things will have to change. I have never seen more voter outrage. If the right moves are made, Indianapolis can still be a great place to live. IMHO, better days are ahead.

The Job Market? I am a computer programmer, and have a lot of opportunities. That is all I would care to comment on job-wise.
I've been looking at Indy (I currently live in FL). I too am a programmer, and from what I see on the IT job boards, there appears to be a good number of jobs there in my line of work.

As for the property tax situation, could you elaborate, please? I'm not familiar with Indy's, but here in FL, it's so bad that our state legislature called a special session to deal with it. Thanks.

BTW, I've been looking at online real estate sites, and I've been floored at the cost of houses in the Indy area. Here in NE FL, similar homes can cost 2x3 times as much (depending on the part of town)!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:34 PM

I'm not sure where the property tax issue stands at this point. Here in Bartholomew county, they haven't even sent bills out yet! A lawsuit has been filed a couple days ago. I don't think they called a special session of the leg, but there seems to be a scuttlebutt about when taxes can be paid and whether or not rebate checks are going to be issued ... needless to say, it's still a mess and nobody will give you a straight answer about what's going on because nobody knows! The best you can do, is if you find a house you like, get a hold of a previous tax bill (it's public record).

Old 09-16-2007, 11:14 PM

8 posts, read 40,441 times
Smile indiana

I live near indianapolis in montgomery county (30 minutes to indy)...I know there are lots of jobs here and even know of several factories in crawfordsville requesting people at $13/hr starting and the medical industry in indiana is one of the most in demand fields ...go to IN.gov: Home and check it out. Crawfordsville also has ads for dental assist. in paper so I think you could land good careers here in no time. Maybe you should avoid the overpopulated cities and come to the smaller towns nearby that are crying out for good workers.

NewsLink | NEWSPAPERS | U.S. | INDIANA ...... this is a link to all indiana newspapers

Old 09-17-2007, 11:02 AM

13 posts, read 48,777 times
Default Indianapolis is NOT Michigan!!

Indianapolis is riding the storm out unlike our neighbors to the north (Michigan) that keeps losing jobs. Sure Indiana has had it's share, but housing prices are an excellent value, development and growth is second to none especially in Hamilton County (20 miles NE of downtown Indy) which includes the cities of Fishers, Carmel, Noblesville, and Westfield. Hamilton County is the fastest growing and most affluent county in Indiana, and in the top 25 nationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinverted View Post
Well my wife is a dental assitant with lots of experience and I'll be looking for production work in either the printing or picture framing industies. We both have lots of sales experience to fall back on if necessary. We are from Northern Michigan originally, but we're living in Arizona right now and we want to move back to the midwest. We feel that the Indianapolis area might be a better place for us. I'm just concerned about the job market and wages. If the Indiana is anything like Michigan we might be better off staying where we are at.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:43 AM

754 posts, read 2,814,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapeartist View Post
I think idiocy is a prerequisite for management positions in Indy. The stories I could tell you... Ultimately, I want to work for myself.
So you still want to keep working for idiots??

JUST KIDDING!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 03:09 PM

19 posts, read 76,370 times
I have been doing research on cities, jobs and cost of living. I cannot find any city in our country that offers a better scenerio than Indy. For the 16th largest city in the nation it ranks better for jobs than Chicago does. I live in Chitown and will tell you that this IT job market is a complete joke. Consultants working in the Loop will only pay mid 40's. Houses here in $300,000 and up so you do the math. Typical taxes here on a $200,000 townhome runs around $5,000 a year. Is that more or less than Indy? Cant imagine the size home I could buy in Noblesville for $200,000. I seen Centex single family homes in Noblesville, 4 bdr, 2000 sq ft. for $120,000. I cannot buy a studio in Chicago for that price. I am going to do all I can to get out of Chicago and into Noblesville ASAP. Noblesville was also ranked in the top 10 places to raise a family. The only negative for some people is that there is zero diversity. That is not a negative for me. Living in Chitown has become rather disgusting melting pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis