U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 AM

5,638 posts, read 5,987,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Being outraged is one thing but what is he going to do about it to make sure that something like that cannot happen again?

I don't recall anything like this happening in downtown Chicago.
Shouldn't it be up to the folks who run the Expo to come up w/ a plan to ensure it doesn't happen again? The problems always seem to occur on the second Saturday of the event. Otherwise, things seem to happen quietly. I'm not sure what the answer is, but unlike others, I'm not ready to see the city bail on the entire event.

They're doing a fine job shooting each other on Chicago's south side. Keep in mind, too, that McCormick Place is separated from Chicago's downtown core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:33 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,856,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
They're doing a fine job shooting each other on Chicago's south side. Keep in mind, too, that McCormick Place is separated from Chicago's downtown core.
Chicago's South Side is not downtown. Indy's downtown turned into a wild shooting gallery on Saturday night and I am glad I wasn't there to witness a bunch of young kids get shot.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 AM

5,638 posts, read 5,987,196 times
Quote:
Chicago's South Side is not downtown. Indy's downtown turned into a wild shooting gallery on Saturday night and I am glad I wasn't there to witness a bunch of young kids get shot.
Yes, I get that, but we all know that the second Saturday of Black Expo has been an invitation for violence for several years. It's not like this is a common occurrence in downtown Indy. Does Chicago even have such an event downtown? Maybe they do, but let's not forget that you're talking about Chicago, with its history, and its still run by a Daley.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Yes, I get that, but we all know that the second Saturday of Black Expo has been an invitation for violence for several years. It's not like this is a common occurrence in downtown Indy. Does Chicago even have such an event downtown? Maybe they do, but let's not forget that you're talking about Chicago, with its history, and its still run by a Daley.

Chicago doesn't have the Black Expo but it does have various events downtown including the Taste of Chicago in the summer.

As for Mayor Daley, he doesn't like guns and doesn't want anyone to have any other than the police and military. Notwithstanding, gangs on the South and West sides have plenty of guns. I never said that Chicago is a safe city but the downtown area has always been considered relatively safe, at least by me.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 07-19-2010 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 AM

9 posts, read 14,233 times
Quote:
Shouldn't it be up to the folks who run the Expo to come up w/ a plan to ensure it doesn't happen again? The problems always seem to occur on the second Saturday of the event. Otherwise, things seem to happen quietly. I'm not sure what the answer is, but unlike others, I'm not ready to see the city bail on the entire event.

McCormick Place would be an ideal place for something like Black Expo to take place. It is one building and not in downtown.This shooting is comparable to if this took place on Michigan Ave in Chicago.

I do agree that the IBO is somewhat responsible for the shootings that happened because it is due to the crowd that the Expo attracts. However, the leaders of the IBO need to take responsibility and threaten to relocate the Expo. The City of Indianapolis also needs to say that the Expo is not allowed back to downtown without major changes to the Expo. This should be up to the IBO and not city officials.

These thugs and criminals need to stop being protected by their communities, black OR white. You can complain about lack of jobs or poor educational systems, but at some point you need to hold yourselves accountable. Stop looking to someone else for help or blaming everyone else for your problems. Teachers, coaches, actors, athletes, musicians, ect are not responsible for raising your children, YOU ARE! The lack of respect for authority figures (police, teachers, ect) has a lot to do with it also. Create a better life for your children so society as a whole can improve. Stop the cycle of growing up without an education and dreams to be better off that your parents are. Be a parent and not their friend.

Bill Cosby said it best in this speech at the 50th Anniversary commemoration of Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education Supreme Court decision

Bill Cosby Speech Transcript

Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 AM

6,725 posts, read 7,496,988 times
Quote:
I don't recall anything like this happening in downtown Chicago.

Quote:
Chicago doesn't have the Black Expo but it does have various events downtown including the Taste of Chicago in the summer.
To be fair, Taste of Chicago has had its own problems recently.

2 shot in Loop after city's fireworks show - Chicago Tribune

Is Chicago Covering Up Independence Eve Gang Shooting? - Chicagosphere (http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicagosphere/2009/07/is-chicago-covering-up-independence-eve-gang-shooting.html - broken link)

Old 07-19-2010, 01:03 PM

9 posts, read 14,233 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
To be fair, Taste of Chicago has had its own problems recently.

2 shot in Loop after city's fireworks show - Chicago Tribune

Is Chicago Covering Up Independence Eve Gang Shooting? - Chicagosphere (http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicagosphere/2009/07/is-chicago-covering-up-independence-eve-gang-shooting.html - broken link)

10 years ago or so, I used to attend the Taste of Chicago every year. The only way I would go now is to go the first couple of days it is open and only during the week. It brings out the worse Chicago has to offer. Its unfortunate because it was blast back in the day

Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 PM

Well, there goes the Taste of Chicago too. Sad.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:24 PM

369 posts, read 226,498 times
Quote:
It has been a while, but for a few years, these shootings were a common occurrence. There have been about five or six folks killed downtown over the last handful of years. This doesn't include the few bums that were found killed, usually due to a fight. All the killings occurred outside of hip-hop clubs for the most part. I remember the one guy who got shot four or five times in the legs in the Wholesale District. Then there was another shooting where two or three folks got shot in the Wholesale District. Then there was the club on Market Street where some guy got knifed, I can't remember if he lived or not. Oh, then there was the killing where the guy was found shot in a car near a club. Oh, the gas station up on N. Delaware...massive gun battle took place there like five or so years back. Someone ended up dead, another shot. There was a raging gun battle down Michigan Street. One of the vehicles got T-bonded by another vehicle coming south down Senate. Bullet casings everywhere.

Downtown isn't as safe as folks like to believe. However, I will say I don't recall hearing about many shootings down there over the last two or three years. Maybe the downtown district cops have started getting a little more pro-active, or the problem clubs finally closed up.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:28 PM

6,725 posts, read 7,496,988 times
An arrest has been made:

17-year-old Shamus Patton arrested for Downtown Indy shootings | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis