U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 05:36 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,220 posts, read 4,376,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Yeah definitely noticed the FSP out and about. Traffic enforcement in FL seems much more extensive than IN. I rarely speed, but it reminds me a little bit of working in Virginia several years, though FL doesn't seem that severe
I used to travel extensively by car in both Indiana and Florida for my job. I would say from my experience that law enforcement is pretty much the same in both places, although there are parts of each where its a bit more aggressive. I would attribute this to those areas being more likely places for speeders, for example.

Parts of I-65 north of Lafayette, I-69 north of Marion, and the Florida Turnpike south of Orlando are all areas that the state police cover heavily, I found. That's probably due to the topography and the potential for more speeders due to the nice flat straight roads in those parts. It makes for easy pickings.

RM

Last edited by MortonR; 11-18-2015 at 05:52 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 06:16 AM

8,384 posts, read 14,805,056 times
I-65 in the Louisville suburbs between Sellersburg and the state line is heavily policed as well. I don't think I have ever passed through there and not seen at least one ISP clocking people.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:28 AM

1,765 posts, read 3,200,140 times
I've noticed a general decrease in speed limit enforcement across Indiana. I've driven to both Ft Wayne and Chicago (I-69 & I-65) twice in the last 5 weeks, roughly 1,000 miles. There were no state troopers, and only a couple county sheriff officers traveling between exits. Normally I'd think a lack of speed traps could just be a lucky break, but there's also been significantly less enforcement on the highways in Indianapolis. As a speeder, I appreciate the state police easing up a bit. I'm just surprised it has lasted as long as it has. People seem to be speeding with me a lot more often than they were a couple years ago. Anyone else notice an increase in speeds on the highways?

Old 11-18-2015, 08:50 AM

4,480 posts, read 5,090,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I've noticed a general decrease in speed limit enforcement across Indiana. I've driven to both Ft Wayne and Chicago (I-69 & I-65) twice in the last 5 weeks, roughly 1,000 miles. There were no state troopers, and only a couple county sheriff officers traveling between exits. Normally I'd think a lack of speed traps could just be a lucky break, but there's also been significantly less enforcement on the highways in Indianapolis. As a speeder, I appreciate the state police easing up a bit. I'm just surprised it has lasted as long as it has. People seem to be speeding with me a lot more often than they were a couple years ago. Anyone else notice an increase in speeds on the highways?
I've seen many along US 31 between Indy and South Bend recently. One trip up there in late September I saw 4 including one sitting under a bridge on the new bypass around Kokomo. Maybe they've concentrated their efforts to that stretch for the time being.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
There is a MAJOR difference between having a police officer catch you driving Illegal and some computer run camera catch you and just send a ticket in the mail.
Computers are prone to glitches and its been documented around the country about questionable red light and speed camera tickets. Having a human do it removes most of that
Humans review all of the red light camera infractions, and the recipient gets copies of all of the pictures with the supporting documentation. In some cases they even provide a link to video of the violation. Sort of tough to screw that up. Despite what you might have been told or read somewhere, red light camera tickets, at least in this part of Florida, are all reviewed by a law enforcement officer familiar with local traffic laws as well as a citizen before a citation is issued. They don't just automagically spit out a ticket in the mail.

As I mentioned previously, there are no "speed cameras" here or in any other part of Florida that I am aware of. This web site pretty well substantiates this:

Florida Red Light Cameras Map

Hardly a MAJOR difference. For that matter, with a human you get bias and personal opinion. A red light camera doesn't involve either.

RM

Old 11-23-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Well that might change next year. 11:40 AM | El Nino should completely reverse in a year or so « Vencore Weather
A strong La Nina is very possible and La Nina tends to favor hurricane development in the Atlantic. Florida hasn't been hit since 2005 so the lucky streak is running out. Its just a matter of when.
So we will see but we can be certain after the next major hurricane hits Florida expect to see insurance premiums soar.
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but it is totally wrong. After the last hurricanes in the early 2000s, three of which came through the area just south of Tampa in rapid succession, insurances rates did not increase significantly. Florida has had a state insurer, the issuer of "pool policies", who provides homeowner's insurance at competitive rates since hurricane Andrew wiped out the Miami area.

For that matter, in 2006 I was able to decrease my homeowner's insurance because State Farm, whom with I had been with for over 30 years for all things insurable, started writing homeowner's policies again in the state. I went from a smaller, private insurer to State Farm and decreased my policy by about 20% for the same level of coverage.

My insurance has not increase significantly since 2006. If it's gone up $100 since then I would be surprised.

The adoption of more stringent building codes since the late 1990s and the larger base of newer construction has reduced the insurer's exposure to the point where nearly every major insurance company underwrites homeowner's policies in the state now.

Indianapolis hasn't been hit by a major tornado in recent time, either, so by applying your logic "Its (sic) just a matter of when."

RM

Old 11-23-2015, 11:43 PM

141 posts, read 136,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
They are still there, they just hide behind the bushes and come out at night...lol

Old 11-24-2015, 03:55 AM

3,008 posts, read 4,543,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Humans review all of the red light camera infractions, and the recipient gets copies of all of the pictures with the supporting documentation. In some cases they even provide a link to video of the violation. Sort of tough to screw that up. Despite what you might have been told or read somewhere, red light camera tickets, at least in this part of Florida, are all reviewed by a law enforcement officer familiar with local traffic laws as well as a citizen before a citation is issued. They don't just automagically spit out a ticket in the mail.

As I mentioned previously, there are no "speed cameras" here or in any other part of Florida that I am aware of. This web site pretty well substantiates this:

Florida Red Light Cameras Map

Hardly a MAJOR difference. For that matter, with a human you get bias and personal opinion. A red light camera doesn't involve either.

RM
Cameras mess up. When I moved here there were several stories about the toll cameras dinging the wrong people causing them to lose their license because they wouldn't pay the toll because it wasn't them. Plus I think it was pinellas or one of the counties that suspended the cameras due to that very same reason. Cameras for some are getting the plate wrong and govt being govt would not admit to the system not working even when the news crew confronted them with concrete evidence they flagged the wrong car.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:07 AM

5,336 posts, read 8,536,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I've seen many along US 31 between Indy and South Bend recently. One trip up there in late September I saw 4 including one sitting under a bridge on the new bypass around Kokomo. Maybe they've concentrated their efforts to that stretch for the time being.
I travel between Indy and South Bend frequently and see lots of cops along 31, especially between Westfield and Kokomo. Also between Peru and Rochester.

The WAZE app is a great help for awareness of cops, whether hidden or visible.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Cameras mess up. When I moved here there were several stories about the toll cameras dinging the wrong people causing them to lose their license because they wouldn't pay the toll because it wasn't them. Plus I think it was pinellas or one of the counties that suspended the cameras due to that very same reason. Cameras for some are getting the plate wrong and govt being govt would not admit to the system not working even when the news crew confronted them with concrete evidence they flagged the wrong car.
That would have been an isolated incident compared to the number of motorists using the toll roads daily, not to mention, the original thread was not about toll cameras but red light cameras.

If you get an unpaid toll notice, there are three steps they go to in order to collect, all of which are by mail and have an appeals process. You would have to make a concerted effort to get suspended without getting some kind of relief before it happened.

Pinellas still has some red light cameras, you're thinking of the City of St. Pete:

St. Pete shutting down red-light cameras today | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune

They suspended operations mainly due to a drop in revenue. Of course, that wasn't the intent of the cameras, or so they claimed. What did them in was the requirement to increase the yellow lights to the state mandated minimum of three seconds, which they were not doing. As a result, you couldn't possibly get through an intersection legally when the yellow came on.

After they lengthened the yellow light time, the number of violations dropped considerably and they weren't making money. Of course, it's "all about safety" if you ask the City, but it's pretty obvious (to me) that once they couldn't make a buck off the cameras they were of little value.

The same thing is happening in Hillsborough, although they're taking their time about it.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis