U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2012, 07:12 PM

95 posts, read 112,953 times
The roads in Indy are pretty bad except parts of the freeways and the northern suburb of Carmel in Hamilton County.

I remember Chicago have worst roads than Indy.

I don't know anything about roads in Columbus, OH. Are they better or worse than Indy's?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:17 PM

3,900 posts, read 1,896,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanianLA1 View Post
The roads in Indy are pretty bad except parts of the freeways and the northern suburb of Carmel in Hamilton County.

I remember Chicago have worst roads than Indy.

I don't know anything about roads in Columbus, OH. Are they better or worse than Indy's?
Indy is improving its roads big time though.
in an Era where government doesnt have money for it Indy does via the RebuildIndy fund.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indy is improving its roads big time though.
in an Era where government doesnt have money for it Indy does via the RebuildIndy fund.
That's fantastic! Although I have family in Indy, it has been awhile since I have visited there.

Do you happen to know anything about the roads being better or worse in Columbus, OH? I have never been there.

I'm considering a move to either Indy or Columbus. I am leaning towards to Columbus due to OSU because it is in a major city.

Indy do have universities but if you can't afford private school like Butler, you have to go an hour to either Purdue or IU because IUPUI isn't that great.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,074,297 times
Quote:
That's fantastic! Although I have family in Indy, it has been awhile since I have visited there.

Do you happen to know anything about the roads being better or worse in Columbus, OH? I have never been there.

I'm considering a move to either Indy or Columbus. I am leaning towards to Columbus due to OSU because it is in a major city.

Indy do have universities but if you can't afford private school like Butler, you have to go an hour to either Purdue or IU because IUPUI isn't that great.
IUPUI degree says either Indiana University or Purdue University, no differentiation between campuses. Med School, Law School, Dentistry all at IUPUI unbeknownst to outsiders who think they'll always be in Bloomginton. Kelley also has it's program at IUPUI as well as Bloomington and it's home to a huge chunk of IU research. Indianapolis is a huge part of the IU experience with only about a 10k difference in student population between Indianapolis and Bloomington/West Lafayette (both have around 40k while IUPUI just over 30k students). 10-15 years ago, that may have been the case, but not today.

As far as roads, CBus and Indianapolis will be similar. Most midwest tends to run close due to road salt eroding the roads during the winter months. All midwestern cities experience that, it goes with the territory.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Indy has the University of Indianapolis/IUPUI/Butler/Plus the Universities in Indiana have satelite Campuses in Indianapolis.
Indy is way more centralized and sports are bigger here than in Columbus

Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Indy has the University of Indianapolis/IUPUI/Butler/Plus the Universities in Indiana have satelite Campuses in Indianapolis.
So there are satellite campuses of Purdue and IU in Indy excluding IUPUI as commute schools for those who do not want to go all the way to the main campuses?

I didn't know that and I'm glad you told me. I need to check them out! Thanks!

By the way, Indy may be more centralized but there is an interstate loop circling Downtown Columbus making the city more accessible to the interstates.

I love most of Indy's neighborhoods but too many red lights can be very tiresome.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 AM

5,655 posts, read 6,099,465 times
Quote:
Really, BRG? Ever heard of this little school called The Ohio State University? They get a few people to show up to sporting events.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:03 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,074,297 times
Quote:
So there are satellite campuses of Purdue and IU in Indy excluding IUPUI as commute schools for those who do not want to go all the way to the main campuses?

By the way, Indy may be more centralized but there is an interstate loop circling Downtown Columbus making the city more accessible to the interstates.

I love most of Indy's neighborhoods but too many red lights can be very tiresome.
No, IUPUI is a combined campus but no longer considered a commuter campus. IU and PU do not have separate campuses in Indianapolis. As far as the looping interestate, downtown is surrounded on 3 sides by interstate with 65 and 70. Only the west side of downtown is not surrounded by an interestate.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Really, BRG? Ever heard of this little school called The Ohio State University? They get a few people to show up to sporting events.
im talking about In general sports.
If your talking just College football then ya Columbus wins hands down.
But im talking the whole picture. NFL/NBA/Indy 500/Indy has more sporting places HQ here than in any other city like Track and Field.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Satelite campuses would apply to Ball State and other state ones besides IU and Purdue as Msam mentioned IUPUI takes care of the IU/Purdue aspect in Indy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis