Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 PM

24 posts, read 126,783 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving from NYC to either Indianapolis or Denver, and would like to know your thoughts about which city has more appeal. I will be unemployed when I move. I have spent a good amount of time in both cities, and I believe that I know how they both feel.

In terms of the people in Indianapolis, they appear to have more warmth and are much more approachable, as opposed to most in Denver who are aloof, flat, and have very little personality. The people in Indianapolis seem to value people and feel more comfortable around people. I find that Denver have more white collar people, and Indianapolis have more blue collar people.

Denver's land is more colorful, richer and so much more beautiful than Indianapolis. The weather is pretty much the same, except the summers in Denver is not humid.

Last edited by ParadiseUSA; 08-06-2010 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 06:32 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 489,470 times
Denver wins hands down. The weather is better. The summers are less humid compared to Indy. Also the sun shines in the winter. Generally speaking, Denver residents seem to spend more time outside. Downtown Denver is both ecletic and modern. There are unique restaurants, something that Indy only has a hand full. Any chain you would ever want is in Indy.

Indy is just another small midwestern city with residents who think they live in a big city due to population manipulation (suburbs population is combined with the city). Separating the two, really helps put Indy in perspective.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:48 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,575,823 times
the only thing Indy has over Denver is cost of living ...

Old 08-07-2010, 08:54 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,473,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
Indy is just another small midwestern city with residents who think they live in a big city due to population manipulation (suburbs population is combined with the city).
Baloney. Unigov in 1970 expanded the city boundaries. The 'burbs aren't combined with the city. That IS the city today, and has been for 40 years. Many U.S. cities have expanded their boundaries. Houston is another example. Heck, even NYC's population didn't include all 5 boroughs at one time. That is one of the most ridiculous arguments around.

To the OP - I can't claim to know a lot about Denver. I'm sure it's a great city, but if you're going to move somewhere without a job, I would always suggest that you at least research what the opportunities may be in your field. I'd imagine Indy has more blue collar workers, but it would be a mischaracterization to call Indy a blue collar town. Indy is very corporate today.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:03 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 489,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Baloney. Unigov in 1970 expanded the city boundaries. The 'burbs aren't combined with the city. That IS the city today, and has been for 40 years. Many U.S. cities have expanded their boundaries. Houston is another example. Heck, even NYC's population didn't include all 5 boroughs at one time. That is one of the most ridiculous arguments around.

To the OP - I can't claim to know a lot about Denver. I'm sure it's a great city, but if you're going to move somewhere without a job, I would always suggest that you at least research what the opportunities may be in your field. I'd imagine Indy has more blue collar workers, but it would be a mischaracterization to call Indy a blue collar town. Indy is very corporate today.
Clearly you struggle with the concept of metro area vs city. Let me help...Carmel (which is a suburb of Indy) is not located within the marion county city limits; though, Carmel's population is included in Indy's population count. Furthermore, Carmel IS a city just like Indy.

I'll provide another example using Houston, TX since you referenced the city. Although Katy and The Woodlands are suburbs of Houston, the populations are not combined with the city of Houston.

The bottom line is Indy would be much lower on the list of US cities by population if the suburbs were not included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

Old 08-08-2010, 09:43 PM

630 posts, read 1,086,513 times
Quote:
Clearly you struggle with the concept of metro area vs city. Let me help...Carmel (which is a suburb of Indy) is not located within the marion county city limits; though, Carmel's population is included in Indy's population count. Furthermore, Carmel IS a city just like Indy.

I'll provide another example using Houston, TX since you referenced the city. Although Katy and The Woodlands are suburbs of Houston, the populations are not combined with the city of Houston.

The bottom line is Indy would be much lower on the list of US cities by population if the suburbs were not included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population
Can you point to another source that proves the Indy suburbs are included in the CITY'S population count? I don't see it in that link you furnished.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:55 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,587,602 times
Quote:
Clearly you don't understand. Carmel is not included in Indy's population counts. It is included in the metro area, but not in the city population. Denver's metro area has 2.5 million people and Indy's has 1.8 million. Yes that is a difference, but not a huge one.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,110,093 times
Quote:

Indy is just another small midwestern city with residents who think they live in a big city due to population manipulation (suburbs population is combined with the city). Separating the two, really helps put Indy in perspective.

Does it really MATTER how the city of Indianapolis counts its residents for the purposes of this thread topic?

Again, another one of the countless assumptions on this forum that a higher population equals a better city. Where does this notion come from? Mexico City's population is around 19 million, does that necessarily make it a desirable place to live? LOL. Mexico City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Meanwhile, look at somewhere like Santa Fe, NM which has a very small population but a lot more culture and other desirable qualities than many cities in the US that are much larger than it.

I have never been to Denver so I cannot speak to its merits as a city, but my experiences visiting Indianapolis:

Overall clean city
Freeway system easy to use
Inexpensive
Hamilton County has some VERY nice areas.
Within a few hrs drive of anywhere in the state and other big cities I like (Chicago, Columbus, etc)

Negatives

Downtown area kinda dead (though I hear that has recently changed)
Not close to any big body of water (but then again neither is Denver)

Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,473,921 times
Quote:
Clearly you struggle with the concept of metro area vs city. Let me help...Carmel (which is a suburb of Indy) is not located within the marion county city limits; though, Carmel's population is included in Indy's population count.
No, Carmel's population isn't included in Indy's population count. Neither is any other Indy suburb. The only one struggling is you.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:06 PM

261 posts, read 498,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
No, Carmel's population isn't included in Indy's population count. Neither is any other Indy suburb. The only one struggling is you.
He was wrong when he said that Carmel was included in Indy's population, but he still has a valid overall point. Indy DOES "cheat" when it includes all of Marion County in it's city population. If every major city did what Indy did then it would be waaaaaaay down on the population list. Cities like Boston, Atlanta and Miami are way below Indianapolis in terms of city population but those cities have metro areas that blow Indy's out of the water and thus "feel" like much bigger cities (because they are).

City population is nothing but arbitrary boundaries made up by the government. They don't give an accurate representation of how big a place really is. That's why I always cringe when I hear people say that "Indy is the 13th largest city" as if it's the 13th biggest area in the US. It's not. It's actually a pretty small area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis