Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM

32 posts, read 80,888 times

Advertisements

I've been here two weeks, bought a BRAND NEW mattress from a store, not some shady storage unit, and now I have bed bugs. Luckily, it's in the early stages and I caught on right away what was happening. I'm mostly posting this because I'm hearing it's a problem in this area, and nationwide. Anyone ever deal with this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 04:42 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,472,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypig View Post
I've been here two weeks, bought a BRAND NEW mattress from a store, not some shady storage unit, and now I have bed bugs. Luckily, it's in the early stages and I caught on right away what was happening. I'm mostly posting this because I'm hearing it's a problem in this area, and nationwide. Anyone ever deal with this problem?
Never, but like you, I've read the press clippings stating that it's becoming a national epidemic.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:47 PM

Just had the Terminex guy here and it's a problem in this city! I listened in on his convo with his boss about infestations in another building, also hearing about office buildings downtown that have problems. I got lucky because I figured out the problem quickly and now I'm staying up all night, as to not let the bed bugs bite...but also to prep for treatment.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,662,656 times
There was an article yesterday on msn about it being a huge problem in the Cincy area right now...Haven't heard much about it being a big problem in Indy- yet.

There was one article that mentioned new furniture/mattresses getting infested in the storage & shipment of these items to the stores.

Last edited by PixiStix; 08-19-2010 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: wanted to add..

Old 08-20-2010, 02:36 PM

Well, I learned a BIG lesson from this ordeal. I used to LOVE thrift store shopping. I love finding vintage stuff but I brought home this chair that was cheap thinking it was a great addition. Guess how I got the bed bugs? The $3 dollar chair essentially became a $500 chair. Should have just coughed up the dough for a new one. Le sigh.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:00 PM

10 posts, read 64,414 times
Yeah, it's getting bad around here, but it isn't just here that has the problem. All you have to do is wash your blanket and bed sheets every few days.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:05 PM

22 posts, read 79,335 times
Yep, I'm in Chicago and we had them recently.
Not sure if it was the moving truck or the new rental house. They can live for a YEAR without eating.
(I want to hurl thinking about this. I learned so much about bed bugs I'm a flipping expert now.)

Anyhow, 3 treatments and $400 later (not to mention probably a hundred bucks spent on D-E powder, sprays, etc. I found online) we're bedbug free, but God it was awful.
I was terrified to sleep.

You MUST have at least THREE treatments from a professional AT LEAST a week apart to get them all in all their life stages. The sprays don't kill the eggs, and the eggs only hatch every couple of weeks.

One way to (hopefully) slow the spread is to destroy every single furniture item you throw out during cleanup (we threw out our mattress - we needed a new one anyway) - just take a knife and slice through the mattress, cut up the chair, etc. so no one else will take it home.

They live in clock radios, cracks in dressers and crown moulding, etc.
That freaked me out, but there you have it.

Best of luck to you. It's a horrid problem, I know.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:55 PM

I talked to the pest control guy today and he told me it was a light infestation because I've only been here for two weeks but he is going to come back 3 more times to do a follow up. I've been scarred forever, I don't know how I can even go to hotels or movie theaters without being paranoid about these stupid things.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:08 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,662,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypig View Post
I talked to the pest control guy today and he told me it was a light infestation because I've only been here for two weeks but he is going to come back 3 more times to do a follow up. I've been scarred forever, I don't know how I can even go to hotels or movie theaters without being paranoid about these stupid things.
Years ago, I watched a show on the mites that live in your mattress & feed on dead skin...it was so gross. I think that scarred me & I have forever since had mattress covers & pillow covers that protect against them. Now bed bugs are another story! I can sympathize that it would be a really bad experience. Good luck

Old 08-21-2010, 02:48 PM

677 posts, read 928,861 times
Don't have a false sense of security because you hired a exterminator, I hope he informed you there are many things you, alone have to do on your part such as wash all clothing & linens in hot water & dry on hot, then place items in sealed plastic bags. You also need to buy:
Diatomaceous Earth, Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth for Flea Control, Garden Pest

Click onto:
Bedbugger: bed bug news, bedbug forum, information, and support

They have he best solutions & will inform you how & when to use this powder. Be sure to read the forums for additional help. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis