Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 12,776 times

Advertisements

Just a disclaimer: I am somewhat familiar with the area.

I am an academic and have considered moving back to the midwest from Australia and applying to BSU in the future for positions as it's the only university in Indiana in my field. The problem is I don't want to live in Muncie at all. I know that there are good schools there, but they can be difficult to get into.

My husband could transfer to an office on the NE side of Indy around 465. We both have somewhat flexible careers, but want to avoid commuting more than an hour either side especially with 2 young ones: a 2 yr old and a 6 yr old. One of our children would also need weekly medical checks in Indianapolis, which can't be done in Muncie. I think, ideally, we would live between Muncie and Northern Indy.

I like Anderson, it has a nice small town feel in some ways but am not sure about the school system.

Noblesville is a lovely community, especially the area around the reservoir, but am unsure about the commute for me in the winter.

Fishers is nice (not to copy another thread), but I didn't see too many neighborhoods with trees. I love trees! I would want a wooded lot.

Carmel is maybe a little bit too far away? I noticed a lot of trees here!

I love the older neighborhoods of Indianpolis, but am unsure about the schools in Indy.

I wish I could live in Zionsville, but alas, I think my commute would be hellish.

I have family nearby - so that is the main attraction for us to move to Indiana.

Do I have a good grasp on the area? I don't have a good handle on commute times outside of using google maps. To sum it up, we would like good public schools, trees!), good daycare options and a nonhellish commute. We would prefer to spend no more than $400k. What do the other forum members think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 11:07 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
It seems strange that you are concerned about the winter commute from Noblesville, but not the other places that are further away.

If it were me, I would pick Noblesville. Anderson is known for its struggles, and you are opposed to Muncie. That pretty much leaves Noblesville. I know people who commute from my office in Castleton to Muncie daily, they complain nonstop about I-69. I would not want to travel on 69 anymore than I had to.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:08 PM

I am concerned about the winter commute in general for all locations and have no idea how long it would take to get to/from places. My husband has never driven in snow or ice before, so I would worry about his commute even if it was 1 mile long! Is I-69 really bad even in a reverse commute situation?

Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
I could not honestly speak to the rush hour commute on I-69, I am coming from downtown and exiting off at 82nd Street. I just know they complain about it a lot. They come down from Muncie in the morning, and drive back at night. I would guess it is not as bad if you are doing the opposite.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:50 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
How about Pendleton?

Old 10-20-2010, 06:38 AM

114 posts, read 358,591 times
Default I-69 Commute

I drove I-69 from I-465 out to Fishers every morning for a while and going outbouund is not bad. Inbound is absurd often backed up from exit 5 to I-465 or worse if there's an accident or road conditions are bad.
But outbound not a problem.
The only thing I wonder about (and this is my sensiblities here) is whether Muncie is so bad or a surrounding area that it's worth driving the 50 to 60 minutes in good weather and traffic conditions every day?
Anyway good luck to you whatever you decide.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:57 AM

Thanks for all of your replies! It has given me a lot to think about - especially what I want or don't want in terms of a place to live. I guess we are more used to being city dwellers which is why we are going back and forth about the suburbs.

I don't dislike Muncie at all - my biggest issue with living there is feeling really far out of the loop in terms of urban amenities (walkable environment, museums, quaint restaurants and shops). It does have a lot of things going for it. My husband is from a big city and I don't think living that far from Indianapolis would suit him - which brings me back to Indy, Fishers and Noblesville. Plus, he would work in Indy.

As for commute - I wouldn't have to commute every day to Muncie. Just 3 days a week and not at all during the summer (or I could avoid peak times outside of the academic year).

Pendleton? I have actually never been there, but will drive through next time we are stateside. I think it might be more rural than we are used to.

I have thought that maybe we should look at the neighborhoods around the north side of Indy and give it a try for a year and rent. I've been reading about recommendations on here for Broad Ripple and Meridian Kessler.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:40 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
They are nice and normally what I suggest but the drive would be a killer. There is no easy way to get on the Interstate from either one. Doable but not easy and adds a lot of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis