U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2007, 08:31 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,971,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Get this, I just ran into another friend who lives in Center Township in Marion county, he said his taxes went up from just under $1600 to almost $7000!!!!! I wish somebody could explain this to me.
now that sort of hike is horrendous!! hope he has his appeal papers all filed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 PM

53 posts, read 257,629 times
If your friend's house is worth about $350K, $7000 is right. Two percent of market value, give or take.

The people I think are funny are theones living in $800,000 houses in M-K who are shocked, shocked I tell you, to find that they're now paying what they're supposed to be paying. Same ones were in favor of spending $800 million on school facilities.

Math is hard.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:45 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,492,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
now that sort of hike is horrendous!! hope he has his appeal papers all filed.
Yeah, it's absolutely redicilous, he's hired a realstate lawyer to fight it. I've never been to his house but it's in the 200K to 250K range, so I'm not sure what the deal is. I agree with you Billman about homes in the 800K range.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:35 AM

17,594 posts, read 24,523,372 times
I saw one protester had his young child hold up a sign stating "how is my daddy going to pay for school now?" I had to laugh ... well, support your community and send your kid to the free public school! Yea, it's about as hard feeling sorry for the meridian mansion dwellers just like it's hard to feel sorry for the Geist mansion dwellers who don't want to be annexed by Fishers. It's always the folks who CAN afford to pay, that DON'T want to pay.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:15 PM

let's not just talk about $800K homes. I see many in the Geist (Lawrence) area that are $350K homes with tax bills now in excess of $7,000 a year.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:51 PM

That's very similar to states like NJ, CT, NY or RI. I thought that sort of thing wasn't going to happen in the midwest, I guess I was wrong, don't we pay enough taxes as it is, I'm really sick of it! And what's even more comical is that people are paying that kind of propery tax in Marion county but yet the IPS schools aren't even that great to reflect the high taxes, not to mention other deficiencies, where is this money going??

Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
That's very similar to states like NJ, CT, NY or RI. I thought that sort of thing wasn't going to happen in the midwest, I guess I was wrong, don't we pay enough taxes as it is, I'm really sick of it! And what's even more comical is that people are paying that kind of propery tax in Marion county but yet the IPS schools aren't even that great to reflect the high taxes, not to mention other deficiencies, where is this money going??
X-Greensboro
I fully agree with your comments. One of the historical advantages to living in Indiana was always moderate taxes and relatively easy living. Well, those days appear to be all over for many of the good folks of places like Marion County, Lawrence and also Hamilton County who have been slammed hard by this huge increase.

Tippecanoe County is looking better all the time because the taxes up there haven't gone through the ceiling, at least not yet.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:24 AM

36 posts, read 150,591 times
Quote:
I had lunch today with a friend who lives in Broad Ripple area around College and 54th, she said their taxes went up 110%!!! I don't care what state you are in, THAT IS JUST PLAIN REDICILOUS, I'm sorry!
And then there is people like me that own multiple investment properties in the area around Broadripple...

5 years ago, one of my duplexes taxes was $800/half. It went to $1600/half with the last assessment. I just got my new tax bill, it went to $2,600/half, but because of the economy here, I haven't been able to raise rents in 5 years.

Between 3 duplexes I own in Broadripple, my taxes have gone from $2,900/half to 9k/half in less then 3 years....it's ridiculous. I can't even come close to cash flowing these after owning them for 5-6 years because of taxes. I even had to refi out of 15 year notes to 30 years just to come close to cash flowing...and that is with 100% occupancy and no repairs.

Craig

Old 07-13-2007, 05:31 AM

17,594 posts, read 24,523,372 times
chb .. your story is the story that we should be reading about in the Star! This morning there was a story about the bottom literally falling out of the market. Home sales were dismal in June (wow, we sure were lucky to sell!) and now the property tax issue is going to make things even worse.

For June, home sales go through the cellar | IndyStar.com

Old 07-13-2007, 06:30 AM

This will only promote migration to the far Suburbs and the decline of the city. City of Detroit is a great example. It's really sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis