U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2010, 04:27 PM

914 posts, read 2,417,975 times

Advertisements

I'm getting married in October of next year, and I am wondering if anyone has any advice on wedding vendors. We've only lived here about a year and a half and I feel a little lost. I don't have any family here, and most of my friends haven't gotten married yet, so they don't have that much information to offer.

I have already booked my venue (Avon Gardens), but am feeling lost on everything else! I would love to hear if people had a good experience (or a not-so-good experience) with a photographer, florist, cake maker, musician (harpist?), etc. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 06:55 PM

2,334 posts, read 1,460,485 times
My wife and I got married this past summer. We used Dustin Allison Photography based out of Avon. He was great! Did our engagement photos as well as the wedding and he was available the whole day of the wedding for us. He was willing to come whenever we wanted him to and was willing to stay however long we wanted him to. Check him out at Indianapolis Senior Picture& Indiana Wedding Photography

As for cake, we used Indy Cakes on the south side off of State Road 135 south of I-465. My wife didn't have a picture to show them of what she wanted, but told them what she wanted. The cake ended up perfect and the lady we met with there was the lady we knew would be making the cake instead of just a sales person, which was nice. Check them out at Indy Cakes

Hope some of this helps you out!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:22 PM

Awesome! Thank you so much! I'm check out your photographer, and Indy Cakes is actually one of the cake places I am interested in, so I am glad to hear you had a good experience. Thank you!

Old 11-28-2010, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,448 times
My husband & I were married in downtown Indy in May, 2009. Our photographer has since moved to NC and we had pie instead of cake so I'm not much help on those. But, we used A Bride's Choice Florist for our flowers and I would highly recommend them. I met directly with Deborah, the owner a few months before our wedding. I knew exactly what I wanted, described it to her, and she executed it perfectly - even hand delivered the flowers the day of the wedding.

For our music, we used the Carollton String Quartet - they did a perfect job, were very professional and didn't make any mistakes. I had so many compliments on the music.

If you are looking for a caterer, we used Catered by Chef Mike. The food was delicious and he did a great job catering to our specific (and somewhat odd) requests. His prices seemed very reasonable too.

Happy Planning!

Last edited by indianapolis2003; 11-28-2010 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 11-28-2010, 08:46 PM

Thank you for your input!

I'd actually looked at Catered by Chef Mike, but when I couldn't find that much information, I kind of gave up. Perhaps I'll try harder now.

I appreciate all the leads!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,307 times
Jill, I'm having trouble reaching Avon Gardens. I'm looking for pricing. Can you help me with a general idea of that?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcooks View Post
Jill, I'm having trouble reaching Avon Gardens. I'm looking for pricing. Can you help me with a general idea of that?
Sure! They aren't open for events this time of year, so it doesn't surprise me that you can't get a hold of them. It depends on the size of your wedding. They charge per person, with a minimum charge set at the cost of 50 people. I don't know if it is different for larger weddings because my price sheet is specifically an estimate for 50, but it shows $24.00 per person (so $1200 for 50 or fewer).

In addition, you help pay for the tent (that sits over the reception area), and rent individual items like tables and chairs and they sound system and all that. I thought that was a little tricky, because their advertising says they say they "provide" these things, but really they provide them at additional cost to you. Really, what they mean is that they have the items, and they charge a set-up fee. Having priced these things, their prices are fair, less than a lot of places, but I think if you were having a big wedding, or a fancy wedding (for instance, padded chairs are more than regular chairs) it could get costly. My total estimate for 50 people is $1902.46 (including tax) for the ceremony and reception. There are a few things on the estimate sheet that I don't want, or want to provide myself, so I think my actual expenditure will be closer to $1750.00.

Overall for price, they are a bit more expensive than I thought they would be, but I like the location, and I like that I can pick my caterer and all that. But again, because the price is based on the number of people attending, it might get expensive for people who want much larger weddings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis