Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:17 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times

Advertisements

YEA!!!!!! Congratulations! It's really cold here, just so you know! Well, it's cold by your standards anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 07:06 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,404 times
Congrats for you ,sounds good.All the best

Old 11-24-2010, 05:17 AM

28 posts, read 56,454 times
We've been checking the weather since we heard, and though she's a little intimidated by the cold, she's looking forward to shopping for warm clothes on Friday. Luckily, we are on vacation right now, and our hotel is within walking distance from a huge outlet mall......we where very surprised to have heard back so quickly, according to the schedule of open slots for first interviews, she was notified within an hour of the last person interviewed, and was given first choice at time slot for second interview (because she is the only candidate that is travelling).

Old 12-03-2010, 07:14 AM

28 posts, read 56,454 times
Another update on the status, the potential employer is now checking my wife's references, as well as the references for the other 'finalists'. Personally, I get the feeling that her having flown out there (on our dime) might just give her the edge we need. The last week, we've tried to stay on the negative side, coming up with reasons why she won't get the job, in order to not get our hopes up to high (we're pretty accustomed to disappointment), but it's getting harder and harder to do that. I mean, they sent her an email because two of her references phone numbers where out of service and wanted to get updated numbers for them, I don't think they would have gone through that trouble if she wasn't the top choice, they would have just kept going down the list. But who knows, prayers and good vibes are needed now please, we should hear something definitive next week.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:24 PM

48 posts, read 129,449 times
Congrats to your wife for being one of the finalists. And, Good Luck to her. My neighbors go to FL for the winter but say they wouldn't want to live there year around. There are so many fun things to do in the Snow... making Snow Angels comes to mind first! And, snowmen. And, sledding & drinking hot chocolate. You will love living where you actually see a change in seasons. I love the smell of Spring. The air just seems so crisp & clean.

I had to laugh out loud when I read another poster's remark that sometimes the car just goes AROUND in snow... Oh, SO SO true! But, if you're careful you will be okay. If your wife gets the job & gets an apt. in Indy there are public buses and taxi's so she might not have to drive at all till the snow is gone & you are up here.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:34 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
how was her trip to Indiana????

Old 12-03-2010, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 6,325 times
Since it is now Dec 3, I'm most interested in knowing what has transpired since your last post. I'm hoping your wife got the job and you're making plans for your furture here. I've lived in Indiana all my life (except for one year in Coral Gables, FL as a 12 year old) and have several family members who have lived in Venice, FL for the last 20 years, and we all agree that there is no better place to live, work and raise a family than the Indianapolis, area. I've lived in Noblesville and Fishers (both suburbs just north of the "big city" and can honestly say the opportunities for enjoying the ultimate in family life, not to mention the relatively low cost of living, make this a perfect place to call home.
I have a good friend who lives in Brownsburg and while he likes the proximity to the city, doesn't think the school system and amenities are comparable to Noblesville, Carmel or Fishers, all three being in Hamilton County. I am retired from real estate sales so can't speak with credibility on the job oppportunities in your or your wife's field, but I certainly recommend pursuing other possibilities in the Indpls area if her desired position is not offered to her. Please know I wish you the best in making this difficult decision and then transition. I might also mention, incidentally, that our beautiful weather prevails from the middle of March to the middle of Nov. and the winter months are almost always fairly mild so you shouldn't avoid Indiana because of the difference in temperatures. Having 4 seasons, 3 of which are absolutely lovely and the 4th (winter) sometimes a little dreary, makes Indiana living quite enjoyable! Good luck and let me know what happens!

Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,054 times
kmlrtime, thanks for your first post--some good observations.

But I have to say, you're being very generous in claiming that beautiful weather prevails in central Indiana starting the Middle of March. By the average Floridian's standard, I would imagine March is still bloody freezing!

I would agree that the winter months are generally fairly mild, at least in central Indiana. (Northern Indiana is of course a different story.) Indy does not get much precipitation, so probably only about a month of the winter total usually has very much snow. While it can and usually does get brutally cold for a handful of days here and there, most of the time the Indy winter hovers between 20 and 40 degrees F.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 PM

4 posts, read 12,769 times
Goodbye Florida, I was reading your posts here, and you're one of the only few people I heard of who would give up living near the beaches. But you have to go where life leads you, and if Indy is the place, I wish the best for you and your wife. I live in a suburb about 20 miles due north of Atlanta (equivalent of Carmel to Indianapolis) and am sure ready to get out of here. Traffic here in Atlanta is torture, and after living here for 20+ years, I don't understand why so many folks are flocking here to Atlanta and its suburbs. I guess the weather is a factor.

Similar to you, one thing I probably have to adjust to is the bitter cold. It sometimes gets pretty cold in the Atlanta area but its every Hoosier's dream if you have lows in the mid 20's in the middle of January for several days. You can barely find temperatures in the teens in Atlanta, but on rare occasions, it has happened before.

Anyhow, I'm getting off track. Similar to you, I am too looking for a job and a new start in life in Indy. In fact, I'm hoping to settle in Indy for at least 5 years to settle down and build a career in public health and epidemiology after 2 long years of bitter unemployment with my head stuck in the sand. I have also considered going back to school again, and IUPUI looks like a very nice urban university. Depending on your tastes if you prefer living downtown or in the suburbs, I'm sure there are plenty of affording housing in the area after doing a little bit of research. I have already made up my mind of where I would like to settle in. Most likely, if I did get employment or get accepted to IUPUI, chances are I will be situating in an apartment in the northeast downtown area around Massachusetts Ave. and would walk to restaurants and to work everyday. I will also probably have one of the best commutes in America too if you consider walking by the attractions and the Monument on the Circle everyday.

But all that has to wait until I get a job. I hope your wife has even more success and lands that job.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 AM

114 posts, read 358,381 times
Smile Pathfinder

I am 56 years old and moved from Florida to Indianapolis in the summer of 2009. I couldn't be happier.

I have traded third world pay scales, bugs, dealing with grouchy old people (present older people reading this excluded), traffic lunacy, dumb and dumber and humidity that makes people melt for at worst two and one-half to three months of real cold in Indiana. Keep in mind first year here you'll probably think it's cold in October. I grew up in Maine so it's all relative to past experience I guess. LOL

But it was worth it moving to Indianapolis.

Indianapolis is filled with friendly, courteous, considerate and thoughtful people who will make you feel welcomed. Are there problems — of course. There is no place that I know of the can call itself Utopia.

Despite what some in Florida may tell you, there is much to do in sports, arts, music, family events.

As far as jobs are concerned I found sites that might be helpful to you.

Indianapolis Accounting Jobs at Jobs.net : Jobs in Indianapolis, Indiana and the surrounding area

Accountemps - Home

http://www.indianacareerconnect.com/...=&zip=&radius=

(This last one is Indiana Career Connect job site. Shows jobs ranging from $29K to $74K for one job.)

Good luck in whatever choices you make and Happy Holidays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis