U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:54 AM

260 posts, read 795,048 times
Trader Jack...I think I've said, or tried to say, a lot of the same points you made, thanks for the input. Glad to see I'm not the only one that gets long winded some times!

I think I started out my posts in this thread by addressing the "unrealistic expectations" element. That had got to be the #1 thing that generates most of the complaints. You have to understand, on top of everything else that has already been said, it is IMPOSSIBLE for someone....ANYONE...to spend 2-3 hrs inside of a house, especially an occupied house full of the owners belonginngs, and find EVERY POSSIBLE DEFECT. You will surely discover things once you move in and start using the house and going through different seasons and types of weather....That is why it is a LIMITED VISUAL inspection....there ARE limitations, and it is ONLY visual (ie what can be seen)

One point you made that I forgot to, was about the buyer attending the inspection...very critical. You get the most for your money this way. Follow him around, look over his shoulder, and ask questions. You can get a lot of useful advice and info from the inspector that may not necessarily be part of the inspection or included in the report.

I will just be kicking a dead horse if I go on, so I wont. Thanks again for reminding everyone that this is the real world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 04:53 PM

172 posts, read 319,492 times
Thanks Roxx, Thanks Gib...

Old 07-05-2013, 01:05 PM

5 posts, read 1,174 times
I agree with others' comments that trade-specific experts should be sought out to audit a structure; however, one has to be careful that these trades-persons don't cross conflict of interest lines. For example, you don't want a mold remediator doing a home inspection for mold. Not only does this violate the S520 Standard, which remediators are to follow, it doesn't provide you with a defensible audit, as the contractor has something to gain by telling you there is a problem. It is best to find tradesmen that do consulting and investigative work but no construction or remediation; this avoids that conflict of interest.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:20 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
924 posts, read 1,066,205 times
Note that this is an almost six year old thread....

If you employ the services of a professional trade specific expert, they should insist on a third party confirmation or audit as a guarantee of their work.

Case in point:

I purchased a bank owned property that required mold remediation. The remediation firm got paid when the property passed an air quality test. They would not do the test themselves, but recommended a number of different industrial hygienists that would.

This way there was no conflict of interest with the completion and testing of the work.

RM

Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 AM

5 posts, read 1,174 times
I can't speak for every type of home inspector, but as an indoor environmentalist (someone who inspects buildings for environmental hazards and their causal factors), I understand the need to pre-inspection clarify and agree upon an inspection, making sure it addresses the need fully, communicating, in a defensible way, the condition of the building in relation to the inspection. My company does write protocols into our reports and consult clients on these reports, but we have no vested interest in construction, remediation or restoration, so there is no conflict of interest practiced. It has been my experience to have home inspectors do work for a client just to tell their clients, "Call Jason and he'll tell you what this means." In other words, the home inspectors begin something that they are not qualified to interpret. My concern with this practice is simple: If they cannot interpret their work, can you be comfortable with their ability to inspect and identify the things you'd like them to? Does their work justify their involvement (to say nothing of the cost)? This is where, for any one and for any inspector, pre-inspection clarification is necessary. I encourage people to get to know these professionals before they need them. Make sure you clarify their ability to do the work and communicate to you that they are able to stand in place of a licensed electrician, licensed mechanical engineer, licensed (or certified in cases where states don't license) environmentalist, and so on and so forth. I do take questions (free of charge) over the phone if anyone has any, so please feel free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: