Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 05:51 PM

548 posts, read 2,016,319 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the great info everyone has provided me in the "One Day in Indy" thread.

2 more questions:

1. What non-chain restaurant should make our itinerary (that it suitable for us to bring our 10-month old)? We like neighborhood-feel, non-traditional places, and we're fairly open in regards to cuisine (Italian, Mexican, fun pizza joints, etc.).
2. Is there something going on in Indy the weekend of July 28-30? I'm seeing a number of hotels that are booked up already.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 05:56 PM

198 posts, read 910,396 times
The Original Pancake House on W 86th and Ditch has awesome breakfast (it is local), as well as Le Peeps on 86th off of Township Line Rd-both breakfast.
Milano Inn downtown has good Italian...it's on College Street I believe.
I am sure there are tons of others, but family ones I am not sure of...I just think of the chain's (I have a 6 yr old).
I think the Indiana Black Expo is next weekend in downtown Indy and lots of traffic and events come through then. The dates you listed are the week after that so there may be something else going on.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:59 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
with a baby, it's tough to recommend anything. But there is a pretty cool, down to earth, kid friendly Mexican joint called La Hacienda that's pretty good, they have a few different locations but we usually go to the one at Meridian and Carmel Drive on the north side. Also, Some Guys pizza in Broad Ripple and also up in Carmel is pretty good. Also, there is a fantastic Burger joint that's kid friendly in downtown Carmel called "Bubs" which stands for "Big Ugly Burger", it's right on the monon and it's awesome! Cheers!

Old 07-15-2007, 06:01 PM

Oh..... dito on The Original Pancake house on W. 86th street, that place ROCKS!

Old 07-15-2007, 07:26 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
There's an Original Pancake House in Fishers on 116th Street too, in case the other one is packed. Their 49'er flapjacks are yum!
Isn't the LS Ayres tea room in the Indiana State Museum? I think that would be fun for a family.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:21 PM

79 posts, read 461,748 times
Le Peep is technically a chain.

My favorite Indy restaurants:

Rathskeller (German) (Michigan & New Jersey)
BARcelona (Spanish) (Ohio and Delaware)
India Garden (Broad Ripple Ave, and soon to be at Ohio and Delware)
Puerto Vallarta (Mexican) (56th and Lafayette)
Jasmine Thai (96th and Gray)
Santorini (Greek) (Prospect and Laurel)
Iaria's (italian) College and Fletcher
Bazbeux Pizza (Mass Ave between NY and Vermont, Broad Ripple or Carmel)
Yat's (Cajun/Creole) (Mass Ave and Park, College and 52nd?, and in Fishers)
Sesame Chinese Restaurant - 86th and Ditch (good vegetarian chinese)
Shapiro's Jewish Deli - (Meridian and McCarty or Rangeline in Carmel)
Front Page Bar & Grill (Great burgers) (Mass ave and New York)
Hoaglin Deli (upscale deli) (Mass Ave and Michigan)
Scholar's Inn (Broad Ripple or Mass Ave)
Union Jack Pizza - Broad Ripple or Crawfordsville Rd

Old 07-16-2007, 04:13 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Bazbeaux for downtown pizza, Some Guys on 65th and Allisonville.

Scholars Inn for an Indiana group. Wonderful million dollar decoration. Even the silverware is specially picked. had the BEST eggplant burger. Sounds strange but was sublime.

Original Pancake House for what everyone has said.

Blueberry Hill at Franklin and Washington for a one off local restaurant. If you are downtown, you wont have to drive so far. They have waffles and a terrific spinach and feta omelet. Not too fancy in atmosphere but every server we have had smiled, they are fast, and the food is great for breakfast. They serve breakfast all day.

Shapiro's is fun. Cafeteria style.

Yes, to Santorinis. They will serve you way too much so ask about the amount. We ate and ate and took a lot home and finished it the next day. Wonderful family.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
Le Peep is technically a chain.

My favorite Indy restaurants:

Rathskeller (German) (Michigan & New Jersey)
BARcelona (Spanish) (Ohio and Delaware)
India Garden (Broad Ripple Ave, and soon to be at Ohio and Delware)
Puerto Vallarta (Mexican) (56th and Lafayette)
Jasmine Thai (96th and Gray)
Santorini (Greek) (Prospect and Laurel)
Iaria's (italian) College and Fletcher
Bazbeux Pizza (Mass Ave between NY and Vermont, Broad Ripple or Carmel)
Yat's (Cajun/Creole) (Mass Ave and Park, College and 52nd?, and in Fishers)
Sesame Chinese Restaurant - 86th and Ditch (good vegetarian chinese)
Shapiro's Jewish Deli - (Meridian and McCarty or Rangeline in Carmel)
Front Page Bar & Grill (Great burgers) (Mass ave and New York)
Hoaglin Deli (upscale deli) (Mass Ave and Michigan)
Scholar's Inn (Broad Ripple or Mass Ave)
Union Jack Pizza - Broad Ripple or Crawfordsville Rd
Good call benjaminooo, all of these restaurants ROCK. I especially like Santorini Greek restaurant, that place is awesome. Also, Broad Ripple Bagel is very good. You guys are making me hungry!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:37 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
X-Greensboro Resident, my brother and SIL are moving to Indy next month. Do you think they'll be able to find any NC style BBQ in the area?

By the way, is that the same Original Pancake House as around here?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:48 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Original Pancake House is a chain but we all seem to love it here and have forgotten it was a chain. I ate at one in Orlando that was horrid and I ate at one in California that had expanded/changed the menu but still good.

Banana and sour cream crepes, cherry crepes, Dutch Baby pancake, yummm. Kind of expensive but always consistent and good coffee.

There are a couple of Cafe Patachou's in town that are upscale wonderful local spots for breakfast or lunch. The one downtown in the Simon Building was terrific if a little pricy. Good place for a lunch. You should see their 12 inch high cakes. Cannot imagine one person eating a slice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis