Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 21,805 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Indiana (the Indianapolis area) at the beginning of October from Southern California. We are so excited about the change of life, but the one one thing we will really miss is REAL Southern California Mexican food. I have family who live in Avon and they have told us that the only "Mexican" food uses cheese sauce instead of real cheese on their food!!! Does anyone know of any authentic mexican food restaurants in the Indianapolis area? We did see that there is an El Torito Grill which we are excited about! Any info on any restaurants would be very helpful!
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 05:47 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
You could try this link:

Indianapolis Ethnic Food Restaurants, Reviews, Markets, Recipes, and Festivals

Old 07-16-2007, 05:54 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
I really like La Hacienda.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 AM

667 posts, read 2,888,490 times
On the Southside is Los Tapatios. I love this place and have been eating there since it opened in the early 90s.

While it might be different from the region you are used to, their cooking is what my family knows from Ciudad Juárez where my uncle is from.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:02 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
There is an authentic tamale shop on Rockville Road just one block or so East of I465. You can watch the ladies make them and they have a score card for sales. When they reach zero, no more :-( of that variety. Almost always sold out early on Saturday. Lots of people were buying dozens to freeze. Long list of different types and a long line of customers.

They were delicious. You cannot eat them there, it is just takeaway.

There used to be a great grocery on the East side with someone making fresh tortillas but it has closed. I am still trying to find a fresh tortilla place. Maybe you will find one.

I have not been to a Mexican place that uses the yellow cheese sauce. The ones we have visited all use a variety of shredded cheeses.

For a totally unique experience, try Acapulco Joes downtown. It was started in the 70s by a then illegal immigrant(who has since passed away) and has continued to serve his variety of food. It is unusual but we LOVE it. Try a taco with his sweet vinegar sauce and some hot sauce. MMMMM. or the Joes famous omelet with taco filling. They sing God Bless America at noon or used to. Joe considered himself blessed by being able to live in America.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:59 AM

39 posts, read 273,744 times
El Jaripeo in Plainfield works for this transplanted southerner. Tex-Mex is what I like and this is close to it.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:10 AM

28 posts, read 123,398 times
la hacienda is good...myself once being a sunny southern california resident, i have yet to find a comparable ceviche here

Old 10-23-2007, 07:11 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
There are quite a bit of restaurants on the northwest side of town featuring authentic Mexican food.

Also, my friend told me another good one along west Washington near Washington High School some time ago. It may or may not still be there.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 PM

79 posts, read 461,748 times
I stopped going to LaHa after the health code violations.. I usually stick with: Puerto Vallarta (56th & Lafayette) & Cabo's (Ohio & East).. I go to a few other places, all authentic.. No thanks to the chains!

Also, avoid Acapulco Joe's! It's awful! Any "mexican" place that puts "kraft style" shredded cheddar cheese on their food is automatically disqualified!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 AM

17 posts, read 98,994 times
The absolutely best Mexican restaurant I have ever been to is El Camino Real in Noblesville. My wife agrees and she is a Long Island native. Several years ago we lived in Cicero, and we ate there about every other weekend. Very cheap, very fast, and very authentic (real cheese and non-processed beef/chicken, and everything made-to-order). Don't let a long line fool you, you'll be sitting at a table eating fairly quickly.

My assessment includes living a couple of years in Las Vegas, where you would think I could have found better authentic Mexican food in the residential areas, but the restaurants there did not match El Camino Real.

Whenever we return to Indianapolis (e.g., my recent 20 year high school reunion) we make a special point to eat there at least once during the visit. I highly recommend the chicken quesadilla and beef or chicken taquitos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis