U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 03:50 AM

3,884 posts, read 10,194,385 times

Advertisements

Too broad an area to really comment on since I live downtown. Personally, I would stick to east of I69. Probably not as far as Noblesville because of the drive. But I am commute adverse.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,577,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
I have been seeing a lot of homes that I like in Fishers, so that will definitely be on the list. Seems like most of what we have been liking are in the NE area - Carmel, Fishers, McCordsville, Noblesville, and in Indy in the area surrounding DFAS.

Any input on these areas?
Schools may not be a factor, but the underlying school district may affect your home in the future. The Mt. Vernon School district serves most of the McCordsville area. Understand that post office addresses don't necessarily reflect the actual town limits. For example, there was, at least in the past, parts of SE Hamilton County that were using McCordsville and Fortville addresses. Both McCordsville and Fortville are in Hancock County and are served by Mt. Vernon Schools.

The only area I would suggest in Hancock County is the New Palestine schools area. This area consist of Sugar Creek and Brandywine townships. If you are working for DFAS, you would want western and NW Sugar Creek township area.

If this area is too far away, I would suggest the Fishers area in SE Hamilton County. Just make sure your home is located in Hamilton County, and not NW Hancock County.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:17 AM

17,700 posts, read 36,854,797 times
I've never heard anything bad about Mt. Vernon schools. I have several friends who's kids attend.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:10 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,577,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I've never heard anything bad about Mt. Vernon schools. I have several friends who's kids attend.
Have they ever said anything about racial issues, not between students, but between student and teacher, or the student's parent and teacher? I heard that there were some issues with some minority students and teachers about three years ago. That was the time that someone also spray painted a racial slur on some sign around McCordsville. Then, some lady called up the Amos Brown show and complained about how horrible Mt. Vernon was treating her kid, and Amos pretty much alluded to how Mt. Vernon used to be a white school district and went blacks move into these districts, sometimes they are treated differently. Obviously there are two sides to every story, and it makes me wonder if some kids aren't coming from **** poor schools and aren't able to deal with Mt. Vernon standards, and their parents are upset because of that?

On administrator was quoted in the paper that there were no racial issues between the students, but that he felt the biggest issue facing the district was the gap between the class of the students: Some are living on welfare sitting next to a kid whose parents are very wealthy.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:19 AM

17,700 posts, read 36,854,797 times
wow Rave, didn't take you long to reveal yourself again after a few short days.

your rant is irrelevant. The OP doesn't have kids that would have to enter the system. The school system is good.

Stop yer flamin'.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:27 PM

63 posts, read 207,561 times
Most of the people that work at DFAS live in Geist, Fishers, or Carmel. Geist is the easiest commute. Carmel is the farthest. Fishers is in the middle with a great school system. My preference is Geist, I love the area.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:19 AM

17 posts, read 40,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
My husband just found out he has pending orders (military) to DFAS in Indianapolis.

Can anyone tell me some good neighborhoods/zip codes near DFAS which is located at 8899 East 56th Street Indianapolis, In 46249? Schools are not an issue since all our children are grown.

Thanks in advance!
The subdivisions near 56th street and German Church Rd. There are new homes in the building process every week. Zip code 46235.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis