U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM

14 posts, read 41,389 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread a while ago about leaving Texas and moving to Indianapolis... well I think I'm coming to terms with the move, however, I have figured out I don't want to live in Indianapolis. The population is just too big, and from what my husband has told me, they have a pretty bad ghetto on the east side of the city.

So I'm trying to figure out What are some VERY small towns around Indianapolis (half an hour to an hour drive, population less than 10,000)? I have been trying to find stuff, but considering I have no computer access, and I'm trying to use my smart phone for everything, I'm having a very hard time.

Any help would be muchly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 11:20 AM

1,551 posts, read 1,638,894 times
First of all I would repost this in the Indianapolis forum. As far as towns go Greenfield comes to mind, but it may have a little more than 10,000 people.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:17 PM

17,605 posts, read 25,200,243 times
half hour commute is going to be tricky .. I would recommend New Palestine, McCordsville or Fortville. If you have some wiggle room in the 30 minute issue ... Sheridan & Arcadia are small too.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:02 PM

210 posts, read 355,695 times
That's some strict population criteria. I would check out Mooresville. SW side of Indy. Pop. around 10K.
Contact Us

Old 01-10-2011, 02:16 PM

17,605 posts, read 25,200,243 times
What about Camby?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:45 PM

114 posts, read 191,138 times
Default other choices

Pittsboro (west of Indy pop. approx 2500) and Cumberland (east of Indy pop approx 5500) are two others that come up in search.

If as you say you have limited internet access, I would try your local library for a map of Indiana first. Also internet access is available at libraries although I understand if you are in a small Texas town that might not be the case.

I would suggest depending on your finances that if you do move you come here and take a weekly motel situation so you can look around. A chain that is cheap is Value Place motels. Around $180 a week. For privately owned in safe areas are:

WEST OF INDY
Ashley Motel
2452 E Main St, Plainfield, IN (317) 839-6584

Pine Motel
7310 W Washington St, Indianapolis, IN (317) 241-9325
(BOTH $150 WEEK - TELL THEM TAX INCLUDED THEY'LL SO OK)

EAST OF INDY
Admiral Motel

11200 E Washington St, Indianapolis, IN (317) 894-3325

Budget Motel
1310 W Main St, Greenfield, IN (317) 462-4493
(BOTH $150 WEEK - TELL THEM TAX INCLUDED THEY'LL SO OK)

SOUTH OF INDY
Hilltop Motel
5351 S US Highway 31, Franklin, IN (812) 526-6555
($150 WEEK - THIS IS IN RURAL AREA SOUTH OF FRANKLIN, INDIANA)

Some background info. The north and northeast side of Indy is more expensive area to live in. Southside is cheaper. I don't prefer anything on the eastside and outside of the I-465 beltway to the west is Plainfield which is a nice small country kind of town.

If you were to increase your population size to 20,000 then Plainfield 14 miles to the west, Shelbyville 27 miles (35 min drive) to the southeast and Franklin 27 miles to the south are nice safe small communities. Also there is Danville 20 miles to the west (I've never been there).

Also someone mentioned Mooresville, which I agree nice small town.

Keep in mind that these travel times apply in the best of travel conditions no snow or ice. Commuting from the south, southeast and west are easier going into town then say from the Northeast (Fishers) which is a nightmare on the best of days.

It also may depend on what type of work you and yours do as to where you want to live.

My experience here (18 months) is that much of the industial, manufacturing and warehouse work is to the south, southwest and the west.

Downtown, the north and particularly the northeast areas are more of the white collar clerical jobs.

If you have some follow-up questions, I will try and help you. The people on this forum were invaluable to me when I made my move to Indy from Florida 18 months ago.
Also I must say that people here are very friendly, considerate and helpful for the most part.

Good luck.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:03 PM

898 posts, read 961,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemover96b View Post
...Cumberland (east of Indy pop approx 5500) are two others that come up in search.
The OP made a comment about the east side ghetto. Well, the ghetto has pretty much grown through out all of Marion County, and even in some of the more populated suburban counties. Cumberland has a "ghetto" right in the middle of town on the Marion County side. It really is just a private owned apartment complex that accepts Section 8 vouchers. They have had some issues over in that area, more so than in the past.

I also know that Noblesville and Westfield have seen some jumps in apartment complexes taking Section 8 vouchers. In addition, some of the lower costs vinyl village housing additions may also take Section 8 rental vouchers. If the covenants allow for rentals, and the homes started out at $100K when built, then there were a lot of foreclosures, tread with caution. I saw homes in Hancock County that were $100-$110K new end up going for $50-$60K in foreclosure/Sheriff's auctions. When you get a newer home for that much money, an real estate investment group would likely make more money doing Section 8 long term (if allowed by the HOA) than just trying to flip it for a $20K profit.

New Palestine is good, Mooresville is nice too (from what I heard). You also might look at Whitestown in Boone County.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:17 PM

939 posts, read 2,296,740 times
I looked up your other posts and found he'll work near Speedway. If I were you I'd look at Mooresville (eat at Gray's Cafeteria if you visit) or Monrovia. I have read good things here about schools in Monrovia. You can do a search. Danville is a charming little town too but the traffic to Speedway is a real pain.
I have been to Dallas three times. I found the people to be very warm, helpful and friendly. I love the people of Indiana for those same reasons. I speak not as a native. I am from Pittsburgh but consider myself a Hoosier. I too never desired to live in a city but Indy is really a BIG town. Big enough without being TOO big.
I did a search for you and found this post about Monrovia from 2006:
I am from South Florida originally and I moved to Monrovia, IN about 5 years ago. Martinsville, Monrovia, and Mooresville are great family areas. We have great schools in Monrovia and I would not move anywhere else. Please let me know if there might be any questions you have.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,387,769 times
Also, you can check out Clayton (pop. 886), Roachdale (pop. 936), North Salem (pop. 633) and other western parts of Hendricks County.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:54 PM

17 posts, read 43,160 times
Default Small town near Indianapolis

Have you checked out Carmel? It is a small area 20 or 30 min. outside of Indianapolis. I have been there a few times visiting relatives. It is charming and has very good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis