U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2007, 07:32 PM

2,152 posts, read 7,081,280 times

Advertisements

Radonguy, I seem to recall the date written on that installation was 2002. Maybe guidelines have since improved for radon exhaust fans to be positioned outside the home.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 05:07 PM

Radonguy
they are peddling radon exhaust kits with Fantech fans on EBay for around $230. A complete 'How To Install Your Own Radon Removal System' easy-to- read booklet is included,i.e. radon removal for dummies. Certain items need to be separately purchased such as additional PVC piping, a junction box to plug the Fantech fan into, etc.

do you think I could buy one of those kits and install it myself?

Old 07-30-2007, 08:21 PM

Val
the kits are normally sold with only one (1) Fantech fan. Check out Item number: 180143560905 on EBay represented to adequately suck out all the radon gas from homes less than 8,000 sq ft.

The Seller out of Dayton, Ohio states that the entire system is 'easily installed' and a novice can do it in 4 hours for $300 total. Seller throws in a 'watertight electrical terminal box' so installation can be made in wet locations. The Seller even throws in a stainless steel radon collection bowl which can be used as a dog dish if the installation fails.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:13 PM

30 posts, read 110,561 times
Check out what else this guy specializes in....He's selling wristwatches, coffee makers and a pair of shoes on E-bay also.

I don't use Fantech so I'm not familiar with the fan he is selling, but it it probably a very high suction/high volume fan. Which is only needed on special occasions. If you have a leaky wall joint that you can't see you'll suck all the conditioned air out of the house not to mention the unnecessary energy consumption.

I have yet to install a system in less than 5 hours with a helper. Today's job took two of us 14 hours over 2 days, granted this was a complicated one. But this guy is blowing smoke and definitively cutting corners. The picture of the installed fan was inside the building, the absolute #1 no-no. Combustion appliance back-drafting is a serious concern with any radon mitigation system not something he was probably going to tell anyone about.

I think he did have a dog dish with a toilet flange screwed on the bottom of it, he'd better stick to selling watches!!

Last edited by radonguy; 07-30-2007 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: I can't spell

Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 PM

Radonguy
I was only poking fun at that guy's claims. I definitely wouldn't want to stand in a pool of water trying to wire his 'watertight' electrical terminal box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis