Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,207 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Maybemover, for helping clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,207 times
I shop at Kroger because they are Union. I don't shop at Walmart because they are not. Your kid is welcome to go to Wally world to work and not get the long term benefits available at Kroger. He is paying dues to make sure he doesn't get fired a year from now because the boss wants to hire someone prettier than him, or someone who will work for less. The longer he works at Knoger the more he gets paid. Not so at Wally world. Your kid should not get to demand Kroger become non union or that he get to work under union rules but not pay dues. Walmart, as with most employers these days are "at will employers" who may hire and fire as it suits them. Kroger must show valid cause to fire a worker.

Last edited by furryriverrat; 08-19-2012 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: add data

Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,207 times
Note. Not a union member, nor do I directly hold any Kroger stock. I do know how unions have helped the working people of this country. I have seen Walmart's discriminatory labor practices. I have seen them run all the little stores out of business and only offer minimum wage jobs to people for years. I have seen people die in WV mines because the non union mines didn't abide by safety regulations because the feds didn't protect the workers. Upper Big Branch mine explosion two years ago is just one example. Dying unions mean dying workers and lower pay. Hoffa was a crook and helped allow the unions to be broken but he is long gone and union pension funds are better funded than non union now. Real pay among Americans has gone down annually since the unions started going down in the seventies. And this applies to every work group, black, white, hispanic, college educated, high school educated and no degree. ONLY the investor class has prospered. Thankfully as a white college educated penny pincher I have saved and invested and profited from all this but it doesn't mean that I think it is the way it should be. I am disappointed to leave a society that values workers less than investors. I also don't like leaving an America in which my kids will have less of a chance of success than I had.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:57 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryriverrat View Post
I shop at Kroger because they are Union. I don't shop at Walmart because they are not. Your kid is welcome to go to Wally world to work and not get the long term benefits available at Kroger. He is paying dues to make sure he doesn't get fired a year from now because the boss wants to hire someone prettier than him, or someone who will work for less. The longer he works at Knoger the more he gets paid. Not so at Wally world. Your kid should not get to demand Kroger become non union or that he get to work under union rules but not pay dues. Walmart, as with most employers these days are "at will employers" who may hire and fire as it suits them. Kroger must show valid cause to fire a worker.
Got news fer ya. Indiana is an at will state. If they want to fire u, not much the union can do about it. People often times get that mixed up.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:28 PM

102 posts, read 413,819 times
This is all old hat there- 'riverat' - He happily quit that union shop- He's playing college basketball and found a great job working from his dorm room -making twice as much.→ oh, and yeah- no dues or worrying about being fired for no reason and the need for some ripoff union protection---(please) !
Spoiler
He learned alot about forceful B.S.union games at a young age.► And what a crock most, if not ALL of them are-

Old 08-21-2012, 01:57 PM

127 posts, read 142,969 times
At one time unions did great things for American workers. But times have changed. Laws have changed. These days the purpose of a union is to extort money from its "members" so the union bosses can donate it to the politicians of their choice (i.e. using your hard earned money to buy politicians).

No teenage kid working part-time after school and making minimum wage should be forced to join a union or pay union dues. These kids would have to work for weeks, at no pay, to even come up with that kind of money.

They're thugs! No nicer way to say it.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:37 AM

14 posts, read 11,276 times
Unions are a good thing.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,748 times
Well said!! There is nothing a Union can do for a 17 year old kid, working only a few hours a week, that they cant do for themselves. My daughter was cornered by a Kroger Union Rep on her way back from break and persuaded to sign a BLANK form that SHE did not fill out, after she said no several times, she said she signed it because she feared retribution by the "mean" front end manager he was standing with. Isn't this the kind of intimidation the Union says it's protecting you from? And Indiana is now a right-to-work state, meaning she DOES NOT have to join. What a bunch of BS!!!

Old 08-03-2013, 06:47 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
I thought IN was Right to Work state?
Im in a union in KY, and will jump up and down with joy when we go RTW.
Ive been in two unions in my life and they really were/are what people say about them. . .
A bully club for lazy, shiftless thugs. Yes, workers do need protection, but unions are not the way to do it. It should be legislated federally and locally. Ignorant, racketeering thugs do not represent my best interest. They say they are for workers but as shown by the OP, and constant rise in dues for----->nothing, they are only out for themselves.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:37 PM

285 posts, read 385,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I thought IN was Right to Work state?
Indiana was not RTW when this thread was made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis