U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2011, 03:47 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,083,099 times
Default Pro teams

Indy is 11th biggest city but doesnt have a pro baseball or hockey team. Why? I understand there are smaller cities less than 3 hrs away with teams. But we could support both and both leagues have teams that are stuggling to make money. Why are we not mentioned as a logical new location? We are better than a minor league baseball city!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 03:51 PM

6,643 posts, read 7,153,691 times
Indianapolis ranks in the 30s or low 20s in terms of metro areas. Metro areas and market size are the main population factors, not the size of the city itself.

When you consider that, and the metros we are similar in size to; i.e. Nashville, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Kansas City; two sports teams are about what we should expect.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 PM

96 posts, read 99,508 times
Toxic Toast is right. We're right where we should be on the pro sports front when comparing us to comparable cities. If racing is your thing we also have the 500, MotoGP and the Brickyard at the speedway, all big-time professional leagues.

I'd love for us to have a MLB team but our region is somewhat saturated with Chicago having two teams along with Cincy, Cleveland, Detroit and St. Louis. Adding a team here in Indy would be a tough sell for the league.

I could see us getting a hockey franchise at some point though. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it happened.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:43 PM

Columbus got a hockey team before us? That is what surprises me. In baseball in particual being so close to st louis and cinci and chicago would a great national league rivary. I lived in metro detroit and they support 4 teams even though they have lost about half their population

Old 02-25-2011, 11:28 PM

675 posts, read 1,007,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Columbus got a hockey team before us? That is what surprises me. In baseball in particual being so close to st louis and cinci and chicago would a great national league rivary. I lived in metro detroit and they support 4 teams even though they have lost about half their population
Columbus is basically the exact same size as Indy and didn't have any other major sports teams besides soccer. There is also a fair amount of people from Cleveland who have moved there that are hockey fans due to the proximity to Pittsburgh. Is there a particular reason it's surprising that they got an NHL franchise? Although another stadium to pay for is probably not the best thing for Indy's future right now, I would love to see Indy have a pro hockey team. The games are a lot more fun to go to than to watch on tv.

As for Detroit, even if it has lost half of it's urban population, it's still over twice the size of Indy's metro population which probably helps it to support twice as many teams

Old 02-26-2011, 09:25 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,422,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Well it's mostly because they had no professional sports other than soccer, but I heard there team isn't doing great, so I could see us getting an NHL team eventually. I could also see Indianapolis getting an MLS team, but baseball is probably out of the question.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:12 AM

380 posts, read 351,421 times
Isn't there talk of the Pirates being sold? Even though the farm team is already here (Indians), seems like it would be an easy transition to bring the Pirates here. But then, Indy would probably have to get rid of the Indians (not gonna happen).

I doubt if Indy will get an MLB team (Unless the Reds or Cards leave) . Too many teams in close proximity already.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:47 PM

2,249 posts, read 3,873,816 times
I could see Indy getting a MLB team in a couple of decades if the population climbs closer to 3 million. At that point, they would have the population to support a third franchise.

I wouldn't invest too much weight into team proximity; for example, Indy is nowhere near St. Louis and the Cardinals don't "own" any territory outside of their immediate DMA. Same thing with the Cubs, Tigers, etc...they don't "own" any top 25 DMA market outside of their own regardless of how many fans they might have there.

Obviously, everything has to be taken into consideration, but at the end of the day, the bottom line is the bottom line...if there's money to be made in a new market, you better believe a team will move there.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:54 PM

2,249 posts, read 3,873,816 times
BTW, I am aware of the irony of my username posting in a thread about pro teams, so don't bother pointing that out.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:01 PM

So short list of baseball teams and hockey teams with old stadiums and small fan bases who we might be able to woo?

Hockey
Tb lightning
Minesota wild

Baseball
Florida marlins
Kc royals

Anyone have any to add?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis