U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-27-2011, 04:28 AM

50 posts, read 81,645 times

Advertisements

Which is the best route to get to South Bend? I would rather not go through any rural/backwoods/in the middle of nowhere towns. If it's possible i'd like just to take a highway all the way there.

I took 65 south to Bloomington once and felt like I was in the middle of the wilderness or something...I took 37 south the next time and it's just a straight-shot highway...is there a similar way to South Bend?

I know there is US-31 North but i'm wondering if they have started that construction anywhere along the line that would make me take a detour. I'd rather not detour anywhere. I'll be traveling alone and this is the longest trip I would have ever driven before.

Thanks...

Last edited by Skooby; 02-27-2011 at 04:47 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 06:56 AM

96 posts, read 109,664 times
The most direct and quickest way to get there will be to take US-31, starting in Carmel. That will take you up through Hamilton County, on to Kokomo and then through a LOT of farming areas. It's two lanes each way and there aren't many stoplights so it's a very quick route. Once you get through Kokomo it's smooth sailing. I actually enjoy the drive quite a bit because of how quickly you move along.

Taking I-65 to the toll road in Northeastern Indiana is another way, but it wastes far too much time.

As for the construction concerns, I just checked INDOT's website and they report no road closures for construction anywhere along the way. You'll be good to go!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:57 PM

17,605 posts, read 25,209,777 times
I take 31 on a regular basis when I head back to the land of my youth. The major moves hasn't really hit 31 yet. I think there is construction, but it's up north by LaPaz and it doesn't affect the current 31 at all. Not sure because I get off 31 when I get to US6.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:07 PM

245 posts, read 415,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
Which is the best route to get to South Bend? I would rather not go through any rural/backwoods/in the middle of nowhere towns. If it's possible i'd like just to take a highway all the way there.

I took 65 south to Bloomington once and felt like I was in the middle of the wilderness or something...I took 37 south the next time and it's just a straight-shot highway...is there a similar way to South Bend?

I know there is US-31 North but i'm wondering if they have started that construction anywhere along the line that would make me take a detour. I'd rather not detour anywhere. I'll be traveling alone and this is the longest trip I would have ever driven before.

Thanks...
US 31 is the most direct and quickest way at ~ 140 miles from city center to city center. It is a 65 mph speed limit most of the way. Assuming you start downtown, Meridian Street through the city and the northside suburbs moves relatively quick but not at highway speeds. After you leave greater Indianapolis, you won't stop much until Kokomo, which does have a lot of stoplights. After that it's pretty smooth sailing until you get to the towns just south of South Bend.

The other alternative is to take I-65 to I-80 (Indiana toll road). This way is all interstate, but is 70 miles further and will take longer without a doubt.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:07 PM

2,249 posts, read 4,184,354 times
Why on earth would anyone take 65 to 80 to get to South Bend?

It's literally a straight shot up 31. When I lived in Indy, I could get to ND from the northern suburbs in two hours flat, even with the lights.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 PM

245 posts, read 415,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Why on earth would anyone take 65 to 80 to get to South Bend?

It's literally a straight shot up 31. When I lived in Indy, I could get to ND from the northern suburbs in two hours flat, even with the lights.
I was just offering an alternative. 65 and 80 is ~ 70 miles further, but is the next fastest way after 31.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM

50 posts, read 81,645 times
Thanks for all the comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren View Post
The most direct and quickest way to get there will be to take US-31, starting in Carmel. That will take you up through Hamilton County, on to Kokomo and then through a LOT of farming areas. It's two lanes each way and there aren't many stoplights so it's a very quick route. Once you get through Kokomo it's smooth sailing. I actually enjoy the drive quite a bit because of how quickly you move along.
How is it driving with all the farm land around? I've always driven in cities...I think all the land around me is going to freak me out.

When you say two lanes each way do you mean there are two lanes on both sides of the road for a total on four lanes?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 PM

17,605 posts, read 25,209,777 times
Quote:

How is it driving with all the farm land around? I've always driven in cities...I think all the land around me is going to freak me out.

When you say two lanes each way do you mean there are two lanes on both sides of the road for a total on four lanes?
what????? farm land freaks you out .. whoa, not understanding that one. That's cruise control time. Sorry, but since 65 is an interstate, there aren't any stoplights. It's open country driving moreso than 31. At least with 31, your drive is interrupted by stoplights, especially in Kokomo.

31 is a 4 lane highway ... 2 lanes going north, 2 lanes going south.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 PM

709 posts, read 1,148,748 times
Quote:

The road is going to be similar to when you drove down SR 37 to Bloomington. The land will be flatter with fewer trees. Unless you're scared of empty fields, I don't think you have much to worry about. No one's going to jump out of the median and get you

If you need further ideas of what it's like, just hop on google maps or something and do the street view deal.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 6,055 times
Related question: I am going from South Bend to Knoxville, TN. Last time I did this drive, I took 31 to 465 and continued south. However, I found driving through Kokomo miserable. There was tons of traffic and way too many stop lights. It added at least 30mins if not an hour to my trip. Looking at yahoo maps it looks like I could take 31 till Rochester then 25/29 through Logansport and then meet back up with 465 right outside of Indy. Yahoo says this route is only ~4 more miles and would take me ~15 minutes longer but it seems to me that overall it would be quicker because I would avoid the traffic and stoplights. I have never driven through Logansport though. Is there some reason this route wouldn't be the better option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis