Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indy or Louisville?
Indianapolis 23 67.65%
Louisvile 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:18 PM

261 posts, read 500,849 times

Advertisements

The difference between winter in Louisville and Indy is very noticeable. Indy is always a good 5-10 degrees colder than Louisville, gets much more snow, and is flat as a pancake which means the wind cuts right through you. Louisville has a lot more days that get above freezing in the winter.

Summer feels the exact same: both are hot and humid. You don't feel the difference between 92 and 97.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 09:29 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
Summer feels the exact same: both are hot and humid. You don't feel the difference between 92 and 97.
I disagree. Having come here from the southern reaches of Indiana, the summers in Indianapolis are infinitely more comfy. When people come here from out of town, they notice it; and when I go south in the summer I definitely notice.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:23 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I disagree. Having come here from the southern reaches of Indiana, the summers in Indianapolis are infinitely more comfy. When people come here from out of town, they notice it; and when I go south in the summer I definitely notice.
Oh, yeah. Some parts of the South see 100+ days of 90 degree temperatures. The 'Polis rarely gets above 90 during the summer, and hasn't seen 100 degrees in nearly 25 years.

Louisville's winters are a lot better, though.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:01 PM

368 posts, read 638,489 times
i think most metro area boundaries are ridiculous now..anderson is 43 miles from downtown indy..to me thats not part of metro indy.akron is 26 miles from cleveland and not included in the msa.but madison county showed negative growth and would have lowered metro indys growth rate so maybe its good it isnt included.indianapolis is doing great showing growth at a time when other cities in the region are losing population.only columbus ohio which added 226,000 ppl to its msa did better than indianapolis in the region.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:21 AM

49 posts, read 67,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
This thread seems to confirm what I've always thought: that Indy tends to be much more connected to Louisville compared to the cities in its own state (Gary, South Bend, Fort Wayne, etc). I wouldn't be able to name a specific reason why, though.

As for the poll: I believe Louisville is a solid city, but it isn't really on the same level as Indy overall, and, no offense, the gap widens every decade.
Guess, What you are right most people both white and black that lived Indy are southern people. People that they Grand came from the south.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentmassey View Post
Guess, What you are right most people both white and black that lived Indy are southern people. People that they Grand came from the south.
If you're talking about black people, then yes--and that is true of practically every Northern city.

I think German ancestry is most common among native whites.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:25 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Culture, History, Built Environment, Foodie Scene, Music Scene, Hills= advantage Louisville

Pro Sports, Economic Performance, Modernity, Income Growth= advantage Indianapolis
Agreed. And saying indy is bland is not really a knock, just calling the shots like i see it. There are lots of other economically successful cities which i consider bland...charlotte and jacksonville come to mind. I believe the secret on louisville is out and its growth will be closer to indys this decade...but louisvilles lack of a hamilton county in its metro really adds to the vitality of the urban core even if it hurts the msa growth rate

Old 03-13-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Agreed. And saying indy is bland is not really a knock, just calling the shots like i see it. There are lots of other economically successful cities which i consider bland...charlotte and jacksonville come to mind. I believe the secret on louisville is out and its growth will be closer to indys this decade...but louisvilles lack of a hamilton county in its metro really adds to the vitality of the urban core even if it hurts the msa growth rate
But, it is a knock if the only reason you posted in this thread was to call it bland. Having pride in Louisville is one thing, but I'm having a hard time understanding why you constantly attempt to mitigate Indy's success by calling it "bland".

For example, if I were to constantly point out how New Orleans and Memphis have abysmal growth, terrible crime, awful schools, and corruption issues every time someone points out how "rich in culture" those cities are, can you see how that might be construed as bashing even if it's true?

Instead of trying to downplay other cities, how about asking "What can we learn from Indy? What has Indy done right?" and see how those characteristics can be applied to your own city.

Last edited by Colts; 03-13-2011 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Can someone please tell me how Louisville has a better food scene than Indianapolis because I've lived in both places and just don't see it. If you're not finding good unique eateries in Indy then you just aren't looking hard enough. There are wonderful places all over the city.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

I guess, but I've spent plenty of time in both places during summer months and at the end of the day they are both hot, sticky, and humid. During the inferno that was last summer, Louisville would be something like 98 while Indy was 93. That doesn't really feel any different, IMO.

The difference in temperature is far more noticeable in the winter, that's what I'm really trying to say I guess.

To the original poster: At the end of the day, your decision between these two cities might be made based on something that has nothing to do with the cities themselves. If the superior job opportunity is in Louisville then Louisville is going to look more attractive than Indy. I would follow the job. You're going to be fine in either place, and they are so close that you can always visit the other. I did the drive today and you can zip it down 65 (until you get to Southern Indiana where the cops harass people and pull you over for doing something silly like 62 in a 55).

Last edited by indy18; 03-13-2011 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City