Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 PM

8 posts, read 13,025 times

Advertisements

Well for the first time in my Navy Career I am being sent to a duty Station that I am not really looking forward to. I will be working at the Rolls Royce Plant as a Military Liaison.
I have two kids one going into Middle School and one starting Elementary. My son and daughter's education is important. So IPS system is out of the question. What areas have a good school system? I am going to rent since I am only there for three years. My housing allowance is $1300 a month so I would like to keep my payments around there.
Also do I really need a 4X4 vehicle. We currently have a front wheel drive and a rear wheel drive. Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 05:39 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
well gee .. sorry you have a sore attitude already.

Michelle Morris started a thread containing the 4 star school listing ... start there.

You'll be as miserable as you want to be.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:12 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyjetmech View Post
Well for the first time in my Navy Career I am being sent to a duty Station that I am not really looking forward to. I will be working at the Rolls Royce Plant as a Military Liaison.
I have two kids one going into Middle School and one starting Elementary. My son and daughter's education is important. So IPS system is out of the question. What areas have a good school system? I am going to rent since I am only there for three years. My housing allowance is $1300 a month so I would like to keep my payments around there.
Also do I really need a 4X4 vehicle. We currently have a front wheel drive and a rear wheel drive. Thanks in advance for the help.
Indy is probably better than you think. You just need to have an open mind. Avon, Plainfield, Carmel, Zionsville, Fishers, and Center Grove are all good school districts. I don't exactly know if you mean you're willing to spend $1300 on rent alone or not, but if you are you can live anywhere. A front wheel drive car is fine and rear wheel probably is as well if you don't speed through the snow.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:36 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,207 times
My Husband works at RR and we live in Avon, his drive takes about 25 mins on average and he takes all back roads. It depends on what plant you are at though.
I don't think you need a 4x4 vehicle at all. Just drive carefully.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:39 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,333 times
Yeah Swabby I have to agree with Dormergirl. It comes across as a bit insulting to tell us how much you dread your next assignment. You originally from the north east? Might wanna tone it down a notch. If it's the ocean you'll miss you have our sympathies......we are land locked for sure.
I am not an Indianapolis native so I can tell you objectivly that you might be surprised if you have never lived in the midwest. I love the people here. Over all they are helpful and friendly, welcoming and grateful to those who defend our country.
Central Indiana for the most part is flat. A four wheel drive isn't a necessity. When we do get snow you don't want to go exploring the hilly regions. Front wheel drive is better in snow because of the weight over the drive axels. We had a lot of ice this year. Four wheel drive is as useless as two wheel drive on it. You just have to drive with common sense. Slow it down and use gentle braking.
If you are a Florida native next winter learn how to dress in layers.
You'll probably want to direct your housing search to the west or south west.
Welcome, good luck and I hope it is a smooth painless move.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
There was a guy at my work from Florida who moved, involuntarily, to my office in Indianapolis. He was here for maybe two years. He complained the whole time, constantly name-dropped Florida grocery stores, whined about the snow, whined about the lack of beaches, on and on. He was a good guy, but I was glad when a position opened up for him back in the Florida office.

Is this helpful to the OP? No, but I like to share stories sometimes when it seems it could be relevant to those willing to think about the theme.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:45 PM

8 posts, read 13,025 times
I didn't mean to come off negative but I can see how my statement could be taken that way. By no means am I stating anything derogatory toward anyone. I was supposed to go to Pensacola Fl so when I recieved theses orders I was disappointed , I think anyone would be. In no way will I be miserable where ever I go as long as I have my Family with me.
I grew up in Florida I have seen snow a total of two times, both in Scotland while on detachment. I know it doesn't snow in Indiana like it does in Scotland.
Indiana is the last place I thought I would end up.
I have heard lots of great things about Indianapolis. Just not looking forward to the weather.
I do plan on spending $1300 on rent.
Thanks to everyone for the constructive advice. It is much appreciated.
I have been researching Carmel, Fisher, Zionsville and Noblesville. I also heard Greenfield is a decent place, or is it Greenwood? I read the 4 star school listing from the your local paper online. Carmel seems stacked with good schools. But I have heard that's the more "ritzy" area. I am a friendly guy and really try to get know my neighbors so I like to be around friendly people.
I am going to hold off buying a 4X4 until I can experience the Winter for myself.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
We've had a funky winter this year ... You'll be fine.

Thanks for clarifying. we're here to help out.

If you look into Greenwood, check out White River Twp schools.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,567 times
Truth be told, Scotland is largely coastal so I'd think its winters might be a bit mild, no matter how north it may be. Indy doesn't get the type of snow you might see in upstate New York, or northern Indiana for that matter, but it can get very cold (highs in the single digits), though that usually only happens about 10 days each winter.

If you dread the weather, at least come to appreciate the schools. By and large, Indiana's schools are considerably better invested and rate more highly than Florida's.

Even IPS has some excellent offerings, though it may be like winning the lottery to get into one (literally).

Old 03-11-2011, 06:31 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,207 times
The areas you mentioned are great, but they are also a longer commute. If you don't mind that, then that's cool, but I would prefer to be a little closer to work so that I can get home sooner and not have the stress of fighting with traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis